Fly Like An Eagle with Bonus DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the DTS 5.1 CD of Fly Like an Eagle. The 'space intro" is in surround.

Are there any other Steve Miller Band surround releases?

Space Intro on the DTS CD is truncated like it is on the 5.1 DD DVD - ie 15 seconds instead of 1:15.

Who is Maurice anyway? Steve Miller mentions that name in another song too ("Enter Maurice").

I'm pissed off because I had the chance to go to an Engineering and Recording Society of Chicago (EARS) event last September where Ed Cherney, the guy who mixed the 5.1 version of 'Fly Like an Eagle", was a special guest. Unfortunately, I had other unbreakable plans. I would have made sure to ask him about the missing full "Space Intro".

I have the DTS 5.1 CD of Fly Like an Eagle. The 'space intro" is in surround.

Can we sort this out here?

I recall, from having owned it (and then returned it) that the 2006 DVD (Dolby Digital 5.1) did *not* have the 'Space Intro' -- the 1:15 first track of the stereo album. IIRC it did have the "Space Outro" (i.e., the coda of 'Fly Like an Eagle')

I have read elsewhere that on the old DTS 5.1 disc the 'Space Intro' is also either missing...or truncated.

But HomerJAU here reported otherwise.

And apparently the 2008 Acura demo disc (DVD-A) has a complete (?) "Space Intro" in surround? Even though it's mixed by the same guy credited on the DD 5.1 from 2006? (Ed Cherney)?

Again, I'm talking about the Intro -- the beginning of the album -- NOT the spacey stuff at the end of the title track. The original Space Intro was ~1:15 long.

Who has heard all versions (including the original stereo, of course) and can report back?

Last edited:
I have all versions, including the Acura demo, and can verify that none have the full intro. It’s still a mystery as to what happened to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
just an FYI for anyone shopping around for this one;

the DVD in the initial 30th Anniversary release on Capitol in the U.S. is Region 1 encoded.

the DVD in the subsequent Edsel release in the UK is Region 2 encoded.

Unless your DVD player has been adapted (i.e. hacked!) so as to be a "Region Free" or "All Regions Unlocked" machine, buyers in the U.S.A. should pick up the Capitol edition with Region 1 encoded DVD and buyers in the UK, Europe and Japan should pick up the Edsel edition with Region 2 encoded DVD.

content wise the discs are the same, the packaging and booklets have some differences (US booklet has an essay, UK booklet has song lyrics).

IMG_2064.jpeg

IMG_2065.jpeg

IMG_2066.jpeg

IMG_2067.jpeg

IMG_2068.jpeg

IMG_2069.jpeg

I'm sure it's been said many times here, but despite only being Dolby Digital, the 5.1 mix sounds surprisingly good...

Having said that though, talk about a title that would be ripe for an SDE-style BluRay - the quad mix and 5.1 mix only ever available in lossy formats digitally, and the multitrack assets presumably already digitized and available for a new Atmos mix thanks to the prep for the 5.1 mix.

We purchased this one on it's release. We have played it several times over the years and do like it. A decent, old dd 5.1. Played a LOT as a kid. Cassette then though. And yes the space intro is 'truncated' on this 5.1 dvd. I cannot remember if it was the entire version on the cassette. Curious. It is packed up in a box in the shop. Will try to find it later..But.....what a mess. ~When I was young, I would carefully open what I knew were wrapped cassettes that were for me under the Christmas tree, cut school and play them while my parents were at work. Then, very carefully re-wrap and put back under the tree. It became an art after having opened them several times before Christmas, the paper getting more and more wrinkled made me a bit paranoid though :LOL:. I was so surprised Christmas morning! The three I can remember were this one, a Jethro Tull Aqualung and a Lynyrd Skynyrd 'pronounced' ..What a rotten kid!

Last edited:
I have the DVD, but someone answer this for me?
I'm sitting here looking at the HDS DTS-CD. What year was it released? 1996?
Miller by Miller? lol. Oops upside down.View attachment 97278
November 25, 1997? https://www.megaonlinestore.com/p132494-fly-like-an-eagle-steve-miller-dts-cd rare and looks to have the entire space intro on it. This version on discogs says 1996 Steve Miller Band - Fly Like An Eagle (CD, US, 1996) For Sale | Discogs looks like there were two DTS versions
I have the DVD, but someone answer this for me?
I'm sitting here looking at the HDS DTS-CD. What year was it released? 1996?
Miller by Miller? lol. Oops upside down.View attachment 97278

Last edited:
Back