Next RPWL album "Wanted" to get limited edition 5.1 release

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sent to the same e-mail address:

Hello RPWL team,

I learned today that the upcoming 5.1 release of "Wanted" will be encoded in Dolby Digital. After the fantastic sound and 5.1 mixes on "Stock" and "World Through my Eyes", the latter which came out in hi-res on SACD, pre-ordering another 5.1 release from you guys was a no-brainer for me.

I find it surprising that this new 5.1 release, which I am truly looking forward to, will only be available in Dolby Digital, which is the most compressed sound format available for surround. A 5.1 mix in itself is a feat that will especially appeal to people that appreciate sound quality, and even between Dolby Digital and the next lossy format, DTS, the discerning listener will often recognize a significant quality difference.

I wonder if there is any chance left to include a DTS stream on this DVD? It'd be a real shame to have a new 5.1 release in progressive rock, a genre so rich in complexity and diversity that it begs for the highest possible sound quality, in a highly compressed format. Consider that Pink Floyd's surround mixes are readily available on Blu Ray, King Crimson's DVD-Audio releases or the Porcupine Tree albums on the same format.

In 2013, with Blu Ray long established as the prevalent disc format and the wide public acceptance of high resolution in picture and sound, even just DTS would make this listener very happy.

Either way, I do look forward to the new album and am excited you decided to go back to 5.1. Thanks for all the years of great music and the effort.

Best regards,
Matthias.

Please join in. :)

Hello quaddies, I received this answer:

Hi Peter, [sic]

we all know this. You can be sure: it is the most important wish from the band that we could listen to our music in the best quality as possible.

But in times of more and more illegal downloads and the lower income due to all the streaming portals we are very happy that we are still able to produce our albums and keep it all going.

And that's not why we are greedy for money but we want to survive as a band. So there is no money for extras like SACD, Blue Ray Audio, DTS, etc. :(((

Hope you understand and give it a try anyway.

Thanks and all the best
Kalle

That's a very honest reply and I'm glad they are being so forthcoming about it. Perhaps any of our members here has any idea to open extra distribution avenues for them? I wonder whether Lisa at Burning Shed would help them distribute a hi-res version as a download for an affordable price? Has anybody built a good connection to her?

That said, let's buy that album. I, for one, can't wait to listen to it - Dolby or not. :)

Hello quaddies, I received this answer:

That's a very honest reply and I'm glad they are being so forthcoming about it. Perhaps any of our members here has any idea to open extra distribution avenues for them? I wonder whether Lisa at Burning Shed would help them distribute a hi-res version as a download for an affordable price? Has anybody built a good connection to her?

That said, let's buy that album. I, for one, can't wait to listen to it - Dolby or not. :)

Matthias, this is to funny as before I saw your email(which was better than mine) I sent one as well and it looks like they replied to you with same reply as for myself.

here is reply and email I sent:

Hi Peter,

we all know this. You can be sure: it is the most important wish from the band that we could listen to our music in the best quality as possible.

But in times of more and more illegal downloads and the lower income due to all the streaming portals we are very happy that we are still able to produce our albums and keep it all going.
And that's not why we are greedy for money but we want to survive as a band. So there is no money for extras like SACD, Blue Ray Audio, DTS, etc. :(((

Hope you understand and give it a try anyway.

Thanks and all the best

Kalle

RPWL

www.rpwl.net

Just read the special edition will not have a Dvd Audio layer or DTS.
Please let that not be so as having it as only DD 5.1 is terrible.
If you need information on how to get it a Dvd Audio layer as that is lossless and is the superior sound for Dvd please email back I could send a person from music industry who has gotten some other bands to put on a Dvd Audio layer and has created many new fans.

it's a shame such artists don't have any dialogue with someone like QQ Neil before they make a decision on the viability of DTS or even Hi-Rez.

I'm more than happy with core DTS if the label or whoever is trying to save a few quid but lossy Dolby Digital for a music release in 2014.. really!? :mad:@:

it's a shame such artists don't have any dialogue with someone like QQ Neil before they make a decision on the viability of DTS or even Hi-Rez.

I'm more than happy with core DTS if the label or whoever is trying to save a few quid but lossy Dolby Digital for a music release in 2014.. really!? :mad:@:

Let's hear it first. Perhaps it is better than the new Transatlantic in DTS. :howl

True.. I'm still gonna get the Wanted 5.1 as I like the other 5.1 stuff I have of theirs.. but I'm not into DD for music.. its been dubbed the surround equivalent of low bitrate mp3.. Now I've nothing against mp3, for convenience's sake etc with portable devices and stuff.. but there's nothing convenient (or portable/mobile!) about truly discrete 5.1 surround music listening.. after all you have to sit tight in one place the whole time with surround music, so why have mp3-esque convenient surround in such an immobile situation.. better to have full-fat Hi-Rez for all that sitting around surround listening than skimmed DD.!! :mad:@:

are they saying it costs significantly more money to make a DTS DVD-V than a Dolby Digital one?

Which is frankly twaddle.
It takes very, very little additional time to encode & add a DTS stream. Certainly should not cost any more money.
Anyone who does charge additional money to add a simple DTS core stream is getting greedy.

Hey- I've listened to this several times, and I'm really enjoying this! The well thought out 5.1 mix is very nice, if not excellent. The recording is much better than the World In My Eyes SACD, IMO. Early on musically, there is a bit more muscle to some tunes. Pink Floyd comparisons will continue, as the vocalist and the guitarist have similar tone. Great keyboard and stellar, fluid guitar lines abound. While listening further, Camel came to mind a few times. I highly recommend this. Dolby Digital? No problem on my end. It sounds just fine to me. For certain, a Hi-Res of this would've be off the charts, but it is what it is. A solid 8 for me if a poll comes up. Thanks.

Yes! Its worth getting, its great musically and the surround mix is very active. I'm not hung up on the Dolby D thing, it's not ideal but its a good example of DD done well.

Back