WBGO - Jazz radio broadcasting in DTS Neural Surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmer

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I'm thinking I must have missed this somewhere around these parts but for the life of me can't seem to find any mention of it (although I'm sure I will be informed otherwise if mistaken). Currently enamored of my Xmas/B'day gift the Ipad Air, I have discoverered many new and wonderful audio applications (apps). Most recently, the purchase of a lightning digital A/V adapter has enabled me to play audio and video on my HT system from the Ipad via the MHL/HDMI link of my OPPO BDP 103. NPR Music has a wonderful free app which provides endless access to a world of listening opportunities - from full album streams of up and coming releases ( I highly recommend that you all check out the new Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings album) to both internet and terrestrial radio stations. WBGO has for years, been one of the preeminent straight ahead jazz stations in the NY Metro area. Unbeknownst to me (until tonight), they feature live performances mixed and broadcast in DTS Neural Surround! The primary show for this is JazzSet - hosted by Dee Dee Bridgewater and airs Sunday evenings around 6PM EST. Evidently, DTS Neural surround is encoded into a standard stereo stream and requires decoding - specifically by a receiver with DTS Neural Surround capability. The kicker here is that as DTS Neural is not readily available, it will or should (according the the DTS press release), decode with DPL II.

I haven't been able to check it out yet (my wife has commandeered the Home Theater in favor of the Golden Globes - with little resistance from me - a guilty pleasure), but hope to soon and will report back. If anyone has any experience with this I would love to hear back. You can access WBGO via on line streaming either via NPR Music http://www.npr.org/music/ or directly via WBGO https://www.wbgo.org/jazzset.

Hoping this ain't a false alarm but another shot in the arm for surround.

Back