Apocalypse Now soundtrack

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bangsezmax

QQ Supporter
http://www.allmusic.com/album/apocalypse-now-mw0000652599

big-apocalypse-now-ost.jpg

Should've figured since this was a early Dolby Surround. Running it through the Surround Master in SQ mode and it sounds awesome.

For those who've never heard the soundtrack, it's 2 LPs and runs close to 100 minutes. It's really an edited audio-only version of the movie with Martin Sheen's voice overs and the musical bits juiced up. A fun listen and VERY active mix over SQ, like when Willard is taking to Chief on the boat, you can hear the water in the front and the motors in the back. Very enveloping experience.

I've seen both the original version and the modified edit in theaters, and while the original mix is excellent for what it is, someone really went to town, as it were, for the upgrade. I've got the DVD's of both, and the latter version has a lot of wild discrete effects that really draw you into the atmosphere of this strange, nasty beast of a movie. Like Mr. Coppola, it seems to run on a mix of downers and uppers, depending on the situations, and the mixes match up and some of it, played loud, is absolutely startling at times.

I don't have this version, but I don't doubt at all what you describe. A lot of money, time and effort went into everything about this production.

ED :)

I saw the original in the theater when I was 14 and remembered how sonically mind-blowing it was at the time. I wasn't aware until later of the ground-breaking aspects of the movie in turns of surround sound. The movie was essentially the bridge between seventies quadraphonic and "modern" 5.1. I'm not sure that this forum would exist if it weren't for the innovations that occurred during the making of Apocalypse Now.

FWIW, it also won the Oscar that year for best sound.

It hadn't occurred to me until today that the soundtrack LPs would contain the Dolby surround mix. Pretty freaking cool.

I have recently listened to the blu-ray of this movie and I know from experience this was a highly recommended soundtrack for all the work that went into promoting the surround soundtrack.
The cd should yield promising and pleasing surround because of this.
I love The Doors-The End in the film version, and I'm stymied why Bruce Botnick did not include it as a bonus in the Perception box set ?
oh well. :rolleyes:

Back