Workaround for Chrome II DVD-R DL Discs?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alk3997

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Looking through the GEAR software archives, I saw reference to DiscWelder Chrome II's inability to create DVD-R DL discs. I'm actually trying to create a DVD-R DL disc since I need more space for one project and some of my players, particularly the car, will only play DVD-R (won't play DVD+R).

I have the latest (last) version of Chrome II (2.0.30). I notice when I create a DVD+R DL I get layer break information and can choose where the break occurs. When I load in a DVD-R DL disc, the layer break information does not show up. However, the DVD-R DL disc seems to have been created properly. The project uses 4.94GB according to Chrome II, so it had to use both layers. I've run through both the DVD-Audio and DVD-Video programs and they both seem "whole" but I still have more music to check.

Anyway, three questions, please...

1) Does Chrome II now correctly create DVD-R DL discs?
2) If not, is there a work around for DVD-R DL discs with Chrome II and Gear (or ImgBurn)?
3) Is it possible that Chrome 2 can create DVD-R DL discs but the user has no ability to change the location of the layer break?

Pointing me to another thread that already answers this would be great, too. I couldn't find it.

Appreciate the help!

Andy

Last edited:
I think 3). Afaik both layers have to be the same size in case of DVD-R DL. I may be wrong though.

Thanks - I'll keep researching and see how a few more burns turn out.

When I get a chance, I'll capture the AUDIO_TS files from Chrome II, combine them with my VIDEO_TSand use Imgburn to make a image file and then a disc. That might be a valid work-around for DVD-R DL.

From listening to the DVD-A that Chrome II created with the DVD-R DL disc, I believe the Chrome II DVD-R DL default is a full first layer and then the remainder on the second layer. Not a great way to split the layers.

I'll try with Imgburn this weekend.

I just create a disc image in Chrome which comes out as a .dim file. I change the .dim name to .iso and then just burn with Imgburn. I've had no problems burning DL dvd-r using this method and playing them in my car. I get the layer break warning but the image/disc still plays for me without issue. I'm always looking for better ways to do my dvd-audio authoring, so if there's a better way to do it or other software I'm all ears!

I just create a disc image in Chrome which comes out as a .dim file. I change the .dim name to .iso and then just burn with Imgburn. I've had no problems burning DL dvd-r using this method and playing them in my car. I get the layer break warning but the image/disc still plays for me without issue. I'm always looking for better ways to do my dvd-audio authoring, so if there's a better way to do it or other software I'm all ears!

After re-naming the .dim file to .iso have you tried extracting the AUDIO_TS from the .iso file (via your favourite extracter e.g. WinRAR or 7-Zip) and then re-building the image using Imgburn?

Imgburn may be able to determine the best layer break when building/writing the image??

After re-naming the .dim file to .iso have you tried extracting the AUDIO_TS from the .iso file (via your favourite extracter e.g. WinRAR or 7-Zip) and then re-building the image using Imgburn?

Imgburn may be able to determine the best layer break when building/writing the image??

I've done this before by mounting the image and then taking the audio_ts folder and placing it into Imgburn. I can't remember what my experience was with this but I will try it again and report back. I normally just burn the image file as is.

edit: I looked into it, and as far as I can tell there's not even a way to set the layer break in imgburn for dvd-audio discs.

I use DVD+R DL instead of DVD-R DL. I was told that the way the DVD+R DL disc format handles layer breaks is better for music and video. And they work flawlessly in my players and my car.

When I create discs in Chrome I create an image and burn using ImgBurn with no problem.

I've done some more research and experiments and Bob is correct. With a DVD-R DL the layer break position cannot be specified. That is only for DVD+R DL. On DVD-R DL, the files are written until the first layer (layer 0) is full and then the second layer is started. That is not a great way to handle DVD-A.

I've read that Imgburn has some capability to pad files to create a kind-of pseudo layer break. However, I'm not sure if that is real or not. I'm trying it right now. I would assume that if it determines that a file is bigger than the remaining space on the layer, it could add null data until the end of that layer.

Anyway, that is why I would really much rather use DVD+R DL, if the two players could handle that format. Neither player is going to be replaced (at least for many years I hope with the car) so I'm going to have to find a way to live with the limitations of DVD-R DL or go back to DVD-R (single layer).

At least it isn't a Chrome issue but a DVD-R DL issue instead.

Further testing has shown that a DVD-R DL burned by Chrome 2 and one burned by Imgburn result in the same disc structure and the two discs (naturally) play the same. So Imgburn does not appear to be of any help with the DVD-R DL layer change location.

Further testing has shown that a DVD-R DL burned by Chrome 2 and one burned by Imgburn result in the same disc structure and the two discs (naturally) play the same. So Imgburn does not appear to be of any help with the DVD-R DL layer change location.

When I've burned DL DVD-Audio on Imgburn it tells me it can't set the layer break for any DVD-Audio disc regardless of DVD-R or +R

Back