BluRay Music Video Poll Fagen/McDonald/Scaggs - Live at Lincoln Center BD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BluRay of Fagen-McDonald-Scaggs - THE DUKES OF SEPTEMBER [BluRay Video]

• 10 - Great Fidelity, Great Surround, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 -

• 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Bad Fidelity, Bad Surround Bad Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Post your thoughts and comments on this 5.1 BluRay release from a live NYC concert by Steely Dan's Donald Fagan, the Doobie Brothers (among others) lead singer Michael McDonald, and Boz Scaggs.

Please note that the HD-DVD Logo that appears multiple time on this releases packaging is a relic from a past time. Someone obviously had no clue that 'HD-DVD' was a format, not a logo for a high definition video. :)

Attachments

• Dukes of September Back.jpg
    Dukes of September Back.jpg
    377.6 KB · Views: 567
  • Dukes of September Front.jpg
    Dukes of September Front.jpg
    364.6 KB · Views: 490
From a comments thread on PBS.org:

Q:
When will the Dukes of September (Donald Fagen, Michael McDonald and Boz Scaggs) special finally air? Patiently waiting.

A:
As of now, it's currently tentatively scheduled for March. We'll let you know as soon as it's finalized!

well a few years ago I saw McDonald and Scaggs on the same bill...but not together...both great acts..the most amazing thing was how much better the audio system of Scaggs was over McDonald's...I don't know what they did in the 20 minute intermission, but the difference was staggering

well a few years ago I saw McDonald and Scaggs on the same bill...but not together...both great acts..the most amazing thing was how much better the audio system of Scaggs was over McDonald's...I don't know what they did in the 20 minute intermission, but the difference was staggering

same shit with steely dan a few years ago at a local venue-the band was on but the whole thing sounded like the old webcor
shitty stereo. real bad! all for $70.00!

Had the same experience in Baltimore (Pier Six) in that the sound differences were truly amazing.
They did play a few songs together at the end that were fantastic!
Great show but "Boz" truly ruled the evening. :smokin

Got this disc today from Amazon and am listening to it now. The 3 Audio menu selections are Stereo - DD 5.1 - DTS 5.1.

Of course I selected DTS 5.1. It's quite an eclectic group of tunes, the "roots" of their music heritage along with some of their own tunes. A very nice performance and it's clearly Blu-Ray, although there are HD-DVD logos on the front, back, and inside of the package! I suppose for the hell of it I'll try it out in my HD-DVD player if it doesn't self-destruct on power-up, I haven't touched it in years!

As for the 5.1 mix, well, let's just say that the purists who want their music in front of them will be pleased. The audience in in the rears, and the music is in the fronts.

Once again though, the HD video constantly reminds the viewer how old their favorite acts are getting, and how old THEY are getting. They look a lot thinner on the cover than they do in concert. Damn, I am glad that I don't have to appear in HD! :mad:@:

Who's That Lady?
Sweet Soul Music
I Keep Forgetting
Kid Charlemagne
The Same Thing
Miss Sun
You Never Can Tell
What A Fool Believes
Hey Nineteen
Love TKO
Peg
Lowdown
Takin' It To the Streets
Reelin' in the Years
Lido Shuffle
Pretzel Logic
Then Changes

There are three PBS stations in the Chicago area. This never aired on any of them.

After all these years, do I need to buy an HD DVD player before I buy this?

QL - I don't think this ever appeared on a PBS station around here. To get the full effect, I would have had to pause playback about 4 times and beg for money before continuing! "If you are enjoying this music......blah, blah, blah!" :)

Got this disc today from Amazon and am listening to it now. The 3 Audio menu selections are Stereo - DD 5.1 - DTS 5.1.

Of course I selected DTS 5.1. It's quite an eclectic group of tunes, the "roots" of their music heritage along with some of their own tunes. A very nice performance and it's clearly Blu-Ray, although there are HD-DVD logos on the front, back, and inside of the package! I suppose for the hell of it I'll try it out in my HD-DVD player if it doesn't self-destruct on power-up, I haven't touched it in years!

As for the 5.1 mix, well, let's just say that the purists who want their music in front of them will be pleased. The audience in in the rears, and the music is in the fronts.

Once again though, the HD video constantly reminds the viewer how old their favorite acts are getting, and how old THEY are getting. They look a lot thinner on the cover than they do in concert. Damn, I am glad that I don't have to appear in HD! :mad:@:

Who's That Lady?
Sweet Soul Music
I Keep Forgetting
Kid Charlemagne
The Same Thing
Miss Sun
You Never Can Tell
What A Fool Believes
Hey Nineteen
Love TKO
Peg
Lowdown
Takin' It To the Streets
Reelin' in the Years
Lido Shuffle
Pretzel Logic
Then Changes

QL - I don't think this ever appeared on a PBS station around here. To get the full effect, I would have had to pause playback about 4 times and beg for money before continuing! "If you are enjoying this music......blah, blah, blah!" :)

Another reason dvr's are so great. Just watched the Ed Sullivan special they had during pledge week and of the 2 hrs. running time, only an hour was the actual show. So great to zip through all the BS.

which of them sings the covers (Who's That Lady, Sweet Soul Music, You Never Can Tell) or do they all sing them together as a trio or each one sing one? Thanks in advances :)

which of them sings the covers (Who's That Lady, Sweet Soul Music, You Never Can Tell) or do they all sing them together as a trio or each one sing one? Thanks in advances :)

They trade verses. They are all on stage throughout the entire program, and sing and play on each others songs. It's a nice presentation actually, just not strong on surround, but then again, it's a live performance. I really don't mind a stage surround mix with the audience in the rear when it's an actual live event. It's true to the occasion.

Just to add to Jon's comments - excellent band - basically a combination of Steely Dan's touring band w/ the excellent Jon Herington on lead guitar, & Boz Scagg's touring crew. All the performances are uniformly good to excellent. I saw both Steely Dan & Boz in concert over the summer and this show translates that experience rather well. Typical live mix with room in the rears-just keep in mind it's quite the room - Lincoln Center

This is somewhat reminiscent of Fagen's New York Rock & Soul Review from a few years back. Would love see a live BD of either or both of the most recent Dan & Scaggs live shows - mixed of course by Mr. Scheiner - I can dream at least.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just to add to Jon's comments - excellent band - basically a combination of Steely Dan's touring band w/ the excellent Jon Herington on lead guitar, & Boz Scagg's touring crew. All the performances are uniformly good to excellent. I saw both Steely Dan & Boz in concert over the summer and this show translates that experience rather well. Typical live mix with room in the rears-just keep in mind it's quite the room - Lincoln Center
Just saw this on PBS last week and was really impressed by the band and Fagen, McDonald and Scaggs. Even though it is band in front and crowd in rear I will definitely be getting this one. I really enjoyed it.

It has been airing here in SD (n) on Ch 56 WYIN out of NW Indiana. The other two PBS stations in Chicago, WTTW 11 and WYCC 20, are both carried in HD on DirecTv, but have yet to air this program. WYIN 56 is only carried in SD on both main and sub-channels. I'm not sure they even provide a 1080i HD signal over the air. It's saved on my one of the DVR's in my Genie system, and available (in SD) on all the TV's in my home.

Line doubled picture quality is great (as 480i goes), so the HD must be stunning. The performances are as good as you'd expect from these guys. Although I missed them when they recently toured together, I've seen Fagen live solo (Morph tour), twice w/Dan; McDonald three times solo, plus once w/Dan), plus ALL three with NY Rock & Soul Review, w/Becker, Harvey Brooks and the late, great Phoebe Laub (Snow.). I'll be getting this one soon.

Who's that lady? Could it be the one in the fishnet body stocking? :yikes Yeah, baby!

...QL - I don't think this ever appeared on a PBS station around here. To get the full effect, I would have had to pause playback about 4 times and beg for money before continuing! "If you are enjoying this music......blah, blah, blah!" :)

QL: Wow! You saw the "Morph" tour too! I saw it in Boston. The first date was cancelled because he was sick. Went back a few days later. That was one of the weird deals where I got the tickets through a service called "I Love Access" (I think they went under or got gobbled up by Ticketmaster or someone), so we got preferred seating plus we were allowed to sit in on the sound check at the theater (as long as we kept our mouths shut and out of mind). That was great!

Plus the set list was awesome for the show, tunes from Morph, tunes from the Nightfly and some Steely Dan gems. I wish there was a live recording released from that tour.

Agreed! We saw him at the Chicago Theater in March. It was a woefully short show, however, clocking in at less than 90 minutes. That summer, we also saw Steely Dan. McDonald was the opening act and performed with them. That was at the New World Amphitheater/Tweeter Center/Midwest Bank Arena, or whatever the hell they called it that week.

A HD-DVD logo on a Blu-Ray disc? Boy that's odd....

Just another reminder that the superior format failed the marketplace, or was it the marketplace that failed the format? :(

Just another reminder that the superior format failed the marketplace, or was it the marketplace that failed the format? :(

Depends on your point of view, I guess. I always saw Blu-Ray as the superior format vs. HD-DVD. :)

Back