Roxy Music - Roxy Music (1st album 1972) on 5.1 DVD mixed by Steven Wilson!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to Wikipedia I see that my single is a 1977 remix and the flipside is Virginia Plain. That skewed my impression of its release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Disc 4 is definitely the DVD.
Tracks 1-3 might be the album's three video clips as originally released on the DVD "The Thrill Of It All - A Visual History":

-"Re-Make/Re-Model" was filmed at the Royal College of Art in London
-"Ladytron" is from the BBC TV show "The Old Grey Whistle Test"
-"Virginia Plain" is from the BBC TV show "Top of the Pops"

Tracks 10-19 appear to be the 5.1 surround and stereo remixes of the album, including bonus track "Virginia Plain"
No idea what tracks 4-9 could be on the DVD

Based on the tracks listed, I'm going to guess that CD 1 is the original stereo mix remastered while CD 3 is from the BBC sessions.
CD 2 appears to start with some alternate takes/mixes before moving on to the Steven Wilson stereo remix for tracks 6-15
I hope Track 5 ("Instrumental") is actually "The Numberer", which was the B-side to "Virginia Plain"

That's my best guest as to how the tracks shake out, but we're getting closer and closer to reality! How exciting! :)

I'm definitely an "In" on this....the Eno era was one style, then albums 3 through 5 are my 'favoritas', by the time you get to the polished gloss of Avalon (which I like much more now than when it was released...) they had even flirted with the dreaded disco. For those who have waited until now to even listen to a Roxy song to make up their mind....try "Mother of Pearl" for a start, some of the most sublime song lyrics ever penned. If you don't like that, then maybe you should just move along. ;)

A product description from amazon.co.uk:
Roxy Music’s ground-breaking debut album is expanded in an exclusive super-deluxe package featuring rare and previously unavailable material. It represents the first time Roxy Music’s archives have been opened, offering rare and genuinely never-heard-before material outside Roxy’s inner circle. Compiled with the group’s involvement, the 3CD / DVD 12” X 12” box set includes the original album including ‘Virginia Plain’, the demo tape that led to their first record deal plus the legendary BBC Sessions that saw the group hone their craft. There’s also an entire disc, exclusive to this format, of previously unheard studio outtakes prepared exclusively by Bryan Ferry and producer Rhett Davies including alternate session versions for every album track and ‘Virginia Plain’. The original album is presented in the 1999 Bob Ludwig master, while the reminder of the audio has been mastered by Frank Arkwright at Abbey Road. The DVD includes promos and BBC TV appearances as well rare footage of Roxy at the Bataclan Club in Paris in November 1972, the only surviving capture of this line-up live on stage. To round the audio/visual elements of the set off, lifetime admirer Steven Wilson has mixed the album into 5.1 DTS 96/24 and Dolby AC3 Sound. Seven years in the making, the box set also contains a 136-page book printed on hi-gloss 170gsm paper curated by Bryan Ferry, containing many rare and previously unpublished photographs, and an essay by Guardian journalist and author Richard Williams, the man who first wrote about the group in Melody Maker in 1971.

:)

And a bigger pack shot of my avatar, where we can now clearly see how each disc is labeled!
Disc 1: The Album
Disc 2: Demos & Out-takes
Disc 3: The BBC Sessions
Disc 4: DVD

24831412_1971357396213965_5874597904824143035_o.jpg

And a bigger pack shot of my avatar, where we can now clearly see how each disc is labeled!
Disc 1: The Album
Disc 2: Demos & Out-takes
Disc 3: The BBC Sessions
Disc 4: DVD

24831412_1971357396213965_5874597904824143035_o.jpg

The shape of the outer box looks identical to Eye In The Sky box, with the little indentation along the opening on the right side. :)

Content looks good, pretty much what was expected to be included and I can live with the DTS DVD - now just need to get that price more in line with reality....

Early Roxy is much like Zappa in the sense that most people when they first hear it do not find it appealing and both for sure are not "party" type music but if you immerse yourself into the music it will really reveal itself to you.
The first 2 albums are great! Roxy really was the true mature type glam :smokin

This box to me is a must have .

Back