Roxy Music - Roxy Music (1st album 1972) on 5.1 DVD mixed by Steven Wilson!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it doesn’t matter what we think. The record labels call the tune. Full stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But Tim as you're well aware Steve Wilson DID 'convince' SONY to release Emerson, Lake and Palmer's two SW 5.1 remixes* in LOSSLESS DVD~A 5.1.....a FIRST for DVD~A~PHOBIC SONY.

It's certainly not out of the realm of possibility.

*Emerson, Lake and Palmer and Trilogy

A singular concession five years ago does not set any kind of reasonable precedent. FYI That decision had more to do with some behind the scenes negotiation on costs that had nothing to do with artistic integrity or even understanding what the value of the format was about. His work for these labels are performed for very low fees; he is not in any position to dictate to a record label any such thing.

A singular concession five years ago does not set any kind of reasonable precedent. FYI That decision had more to do with some behind the scenes negotiation on costs that had nothing to do with artistic integrity or even understanding what the value of the format was about. His work for these labels are performed for very low fees; he is not in any position to dictate to a record label any such thing.

Not to contradict you, but IF cost was a factor, then SONY who owns the SACD pressing plants could easily have released them as multichannel SACDs!

You’ve got to be kidding. After not releasing any new SACD titles for several years, that’s quite a reach. I’ll leave you to your theories.

The fact will ever be: They don‘t sell enough copies!
How often have we discussed that?
If it‘s too expensive....don‘t buy it!
But the record companies will do, what they do!

Remember Pure Audio?
It‘s DEAD! Only some classic releases!

I will pass this Roxy release this time.

I’m getting tired of this thread (because of the pricing debacle and some people’s posts...) so I think I’m gonna take a rest from this thread for my own sanity, but before I do, let me all remind you of a truth:

Steven Wilson has NO control whatsoever over if, when, and how a remix of his is released.
If that were the case, then every remix he’s ever worked on would have already been released inexpensively on Blu-Ray or DVDA-V.

We have been waiting several years to hear this 5.1 Surround mix, and having it released in an expensive package is better than it not being released at all, so either buy it or do not buy it.

In the immortal words of Phil Collins: “I Don’t Care Anymore”

Just got an email that my order at ImportCDs was cancelled :mad:

Still on order at Amazon USA . . . this is beginning to be like that S & G fiasco. . . .

Back on order at ImportCDs for 130 bucks. Hmm. Guess I'll re-order and play the game (and wait for my S & G to arrive :mad:@: ).

Just got an email that my order at ImportCDs was cancelled :mad:

Still on order at Amazon USA . . . this is beginning to be like that S & G fiasco. . . .

Back on order at ImportCDs for 130 bucks. Hmm. Guess I'll re-order and play the game (and wait for my S & G to arrive :mad:@: ).

You know the funny part about the Bridge over the Troubled Release....the price still changes...it's only a penny or two each time..but it's still "active" on amazon...they are still trying to get people to order it:xp:

You know the funny part about the Bridge over the Troubled Release....the price still changes...it's only a penny or two each time..but it's still "active" on amazon...they are still trying to get people to order it:xp:

Just noticed that, after my ImportCD order was cancelled, the new order at a higher price is "back ordered," not pre-ordered.

Sold out already? "Back ordered" can be the knell of death (i.e. expect to find on eBay with the cost multiplied) for a release.

Sold out already? "Back ordered" can be the knell of death (i.e. expect to find on eBay with the cost multiplied) for a release.

Hang on, nothing has shipped. Please remember that all of this is still preliminary. all of this is the result of poor communication between the label and retailers. It will sort out eventually.

I don't buy into the "greedy record company" vibe because I have no data beyond the price of the release. I have zero information on how much it costs, per set, to put something like this together. What's more, I don't see how it helps us. It could be that they're gouging us, but calling them greedy doesn't do anything except create bad blood and stress for those of you out there working in that business.

THAT BEING SAID, This is a public relations boondoggle.

A long-awaited and coveted set is offered at price X. Excitement and cheers. Pre-orders roll in.

Oh sorry guys, it's price X + $100. All your pre-orders are canceled, please re-order, thx!

An angry mob forms with pitchforks and torches. If it'd been originally offered at that price, you'd probably get some grumbling but not a figurative angry mob.

I wish Roxy and their label well, but I will also pass on this set.

Just noticed that, after my ImportCD order was cancelled, the new order at a higher price is "back ordered," not pre-ordered.

When you deal with importcds...the "back ordered" term can mean different things...in the warehouse automated system.... anything that is not physically in their warehouse will be termed "backordered" on your INVOICE...that is not a problem IF when ordered it was in pre-order status...think of it as 2 separate entities...one is the warehouse...that keeps the physical discs....and one is the administrative hub...that processes the orders...so basically if you order an item that is in pre-order status and your invoive says backordered...that's usually not a problem(unless the distributor changes something)....now if you order something that is in the "back order" status...that's usually a waste of time....because it is dependent on the distributor providing more product to importcds..

Hang on, nothing has shipped. Please remember that all of this is still preliminary. all of this is the result of poor communication between the label and retailers. It will sort out eventually.

Well, actually, the print has changed again (!) to "pre-order."

Thanks for all the advice, I finally decided to have it on pre-order with two sites, and then wait. Heck, I may even get two and sell the extra in a few years. . . .

At this juncture, it would probably be wiser [and less expensive] to purchase all the Japanese single~layered SHM~SACD Stereo remasters of ROXY Music's catalog and play them in DSP surround mode. At least they'll be LOSSLESS! :howl

I have to agree -- SHM, as much as I want to howl about its cost, and the fact that it isn't surround, sounds mighty, mighty fine!

I have to agree -- SHM, as much as I want to howl about its cost, and the fact that it isn't surround, sounds mighty, mighty fine!

Ironically, a lot of the SHM~SACD 'reissues' [after their initial run] came WAY down in price [to about $30 each] but a lot of them are sadly, Out of Print. When they first came out they were [gulp!] $60 each. :yikes

Ironically, a lot of the SHM~SACD 'reissues' [after their initial run] came WAY down in price [to about $30 each] but a lot of them are sadly, Out of Print. When they first came out they were [gulp!] $60 each. :yikes

I bought Aja when it was $60 and I constantly heard how bad it was...I'm glad I didn't listen...because I've enjoyed it for years now...and when it was re-issued it was $30...I bought one and gave it to a friend and she loves it...it got a knock because it was pricey and it wasn't multichannel...but the songlist on it is incredible..it's not a demo disc...but it's good...and I tried all these suggestions about CDs that people claimed were as good...but I didn't find any that actually were as good...how about this Roxy SACD....of course you could buy it HERE

If you want a bargain...and don't want to spend $100 or more for the surround version....the SHM version is excellent also...and the price has fallen over the years...the next sale at importcds I would recommend THIS ONE

I have two Fairport Convention SHMs that to me are the pinnacle of sound for that band.

"A Sailor's Life" is my "demo" for my system, and it is not even surround!

Imagine if it was :bounce

Back