Roxy Music - Roxy Music (1st album 1972) on 5.1 DVD mixed by Steven Wilson!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's all of 1972 Glam and FM alternative deep track long solo style stuff, hints of Hawkwind too. I can dig it. Roxy/Brian Ferry got a lot better into the 80s chartwise andyway. (y)

I'm listening to it for the first time right now and I can understand completely how you feel...so far..FOR ME...this sounds bad...really bad..I'm not sure more listening could help this material:(

Yup..obviously, we come from the "Avalon" "school" and this is 180º from that...I mean, it's kinda cool, but it's not my cup o' tea....too bad...

For curiosity a while back I was checking what Bryan Ferry was charging for a special edition of one of his latest albums Avonmore and it is over a 100 pounds and from looking back that was the asking price right from the start I believe.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...=B0171TOPO4&linkCode=as2&tag=superdeluxeed-21

Granted it is a 2lp.3cd,1dvd so slightly different configuration but if they are charging that much more than some of the other special editions like Fleetwood Mac this might not turn out well for us.

Another reason to be so thankful for Xtc,Yes,KC reissues that were truely special as they have given us so much content and did not gouge the fans in the process.

Another thing for this price why not a bluray,only a dvd which means no lossless option for us.

has the presence of the SW 5.1 album mix in this box been confirmed?

All we know about the box set right now is that it will contain 3 CDs and 1 DVD.
I presume that Steven Wilson's 5.1 surround mix will be on the DVD, but you don't want to know what I will do if it ends up not being on there...

:violin :howl

There’s no accounting for taste. I’m actually shocked by the lack of love for this album in the recent posts. The first two Roxy albums are by far the best for me, Avalon is just ok in comparison. If the mix is well done I will pay whatever they charge without regrets.

Yup..obviously, we come from the "Avalon" "school" and this is 180º from that...I mean, it's kinda cool, but it's not my cup o' tea....too bad...

To each his own:)...in 1972 I was listening to Elton John...Three Dog Night...Deep Purple...Rolling Stones...Al Green...Rod Stewart...Chicago...David Bowie...Eagles...Chicago....Doobie Brothers..Led Zeppelin..Steely Dan...Allman Brothers..Moody Blues...and SO many more...something like this album wouldn't have been on my radar...I'm happy for those that like it and hope they get the Steven Wilson treatment:)

I was going to post my disappointment with this release choice much earlier but didn't want to be accused of thread crapping as so many have been looking forward to it for so long.

I heard this album when it first came out. Not my cup o' tea.
With a couple of exceptions Glam was not my thing then.
The first Roxy album that I liked partially was For Your Pleasure.
As far as my taste, they got progressively better with each release.

Hopefully this will sell enough to warrant further releases but the gestation time on this was loooong.

This is a bit of a tuff start to enjoying Roxy Music . This album is intro to glam with lotz of experimental input via Eno and the lads.

My fave's are by far Stranded and Country Life where Phil Manzanera really shines with his guitar solos. And yes the rest of the band are performing top notch, fwiw.

Sexist pig that I was, (well horny teen !!) I think I bought Country Life for my first Roxy Music album when it was released. And then loved it so very much (aside from the cover), that I had to delve into the remainder.

So although not my favourite Roxy album I still appreciate what they were up to. Provided the price isn't ridiculous I may purchase this, if only to prompt further releases of early Roxy (including Bryan Ferry's 70's solos ).

Considering the large number of posts this thread has garnered, the record label should take notice. (Hasn't even been received and reviewed yet !!!!)
and yes I would love a separate dvd or bd as do most I believe.

So to sum it up......keep "em coming and stop dragging your asses, as many here want and like their Roxy Music re-issues.

nuff said,
Fizzy :D(y)

For curiosity a while back I was checking what Bryan Ferry was charging for a special edition of one of his latest albums Avonmore and it is over a 100 pounds and from looking back that was the asking price right from the start I believe.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product...=B0171TOPO4&linkCode=as2&tag=superdeluxeed-21

Granted it is a 2lp.3cd,1dvd so slightly different configuration but if they are charging that much more than some of the other special editions like Fleetwood Mac this might not turn out well for us.

Another reason to be so thankful for Xtc,Yes,KC reissues that were truely special as they have given us so much content and did not gouge the fans in the process.

Another thing for this price why not a bluray,only a dvd which means no lossless option for us.

It's possible that a Blu-Ray option was considered back when the set was supposed to be released in 2015 (kinda like how the Tears for Fears and Simple Minds reissues had DVD in the box and Blu-Ray outside of it) but we all know how Universal turned their back on the single disc High Fidelity Pure Audio Blu-Ray releases since the end of last year, not to mention that Blu-Ray is a lot more expensive to author and replicate than DVD is, so I'm sure that is a factor as well.

Once we know more information about the contents of the box set and other reissue formats, then I may try to find appropriate channels for asking about a single Blu-ray Disc release, but honestly, I've waited so long to hear this 5.1 surround mix that as long as the DVD has at least DTS audio on it, I don't care what I have to pay to get it, especially if future remixes are being considered!

:)

Also, for those of you who say this first Roxy Music album is not your cup of tea, I can understand.
It's not an easy listen, especially if you are more accustomed to the sound of an album like "Avalon".

FWIW, I think that their second album "For Your Pleasure" is a better album, so I recommend listening to this one and then revisiting the first album after that.

[video=youtube;ZZjuaU0jOyo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZjuaU0jOyo[/video]

:)

I like and enjoy the whole Roxy Music catalog but I never did get this release even after trying to make myself like it the past 2-3 years. Well, I listened to it, yet again, the weekend before last and, this time, I notice that not every song is good but, actually, there are a few gems here. The problem I was having was listening to it instead of listening through it. Or, in other words, sitting back, relaxing with my eyes closed and letting the music hit me without trying to think about it. Now, is it enough to blind buy purchase for me? I’m afraid, probably not but the flip side is that I am starting to open up to this album. Yes’s “Tales From Topographic Oceans” is another story and one which I’ve never purchased the 5.1 version. And, I like every single other album they did!!! :mad:@:

Once Eno left Roxy lost it for me diminishing returns.

I will be getting this and probably moan if it's a DVD and not blu ray. At least it appears Vinyl is consigned to it's own separate release that's the positive for me

I had not listened to this album for a while and just did right now and it did the opposite for me of what some others had just reported here as I found it a very rewarding listen as there are many very interesting twists and turns inside these songs, its not straight forward stuff and that's what makes listening to some of these quirky off beat albums so much fun as they are different to maybe what someone might expect from them if you only knew of the slick albums like Avalon.

The hit single from the album in the UK was "Virginia Plain" which in 1972 that was as far as I went with them (it was the kind of track played at school discos), it was Deep Purple, Wishbone Ash, The Groundhogs, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix etc. that I was listening to. I taped Virginia Plain off the radio, I wish I had the cassette it was recorded on now as I'm curious as to what other 'singles pop bands' I'd have put it with (as opposed to 'album Prog bands'!). I have to be in the right mood to listen to early Roxy Music (I only bought the album on CD a few years ago), but when I am I like it. So if its not £172 and comes in at a much more reasonable price, + has a 5.1 mix, then I'll most likely get it.

There is strength in every facet of the Roxy music catalog. They grew, evolved, got polished, got less weird, got played more on the radio.

I didn’t get to see them live until 1979. But when I was 16 and I had this 8 track in my Mustang I played the hell out of it for a very long time. I love the songs I know every centimeter of them.

This is preliminary information and it will surely come down and fall into place in the coming weeks. To those who feel like I do it’s time to be psyched. To those who do not, it’s not too late. To those who favor the later catalog albums I surely hope we get those too. Until then, do the strand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Found this on twitter,@TheJerryEwing(prog magazine editor):

"Listening to the new reissue of Roxy Music's debut album. What a piece of work..."

Sid Smith‏ replied:

"and of course, Peter Sinfield produced it!"

next question:

Is that the SW remix Jerry?

Jerry Ewing replied: ‏

"Yes..."

so I just asked, lets see if he replies:

"Can you reveal any more, does the dvd have the 5.1 done by SW and any extra songs done in 5.1 from the original album?"

A very vague track listing is on amazon.co.uk now:

Track Listings
Disc: 1
1. Re-Make/Re-Model
2. Ladytron
3. If There Is Something
4. Virginia Plain
5. 2HB
6. The Bob (Medley)
7. Chance Meeting
8. Would You Believe?
9. Sea Breezes
10. Bitters End

Disc: 2
1. Ladytron
2. 2HB
3. Chance Meeting
4. The Bob (Medley)
5. Instrumental
6. Re-Make/Re-Model
7. Ladytron
8. If There Is Something
9. 2HB
10. The Bob (Medley)
11. Chance Meeting
12. Would You Believe?
13. Sea Breezes
14. Bitters End
15. Virginia Plain

Disc: 3
1. If There Is Something
2. The Bob (Medley)
3. Would You Believe?
4. Sea Breezes
5. Re-Make/Re-Model
6. 2HB
7. Ladytron
8. Chance Meeting
9. Virginia Plain
10. The Bob (Medley)
11. Sea Breezes
12. Virginia Plain
13. Chance Meeting
14. Re-Make/Re-Model

Disc: 4
1. Re-Make/Re-Model
2. Ladytron
3. Virginia Plain
4. Re-Make/Re-Model
5. Ladytron
6. Would You Believe?
7. If There Is Something
8. Sea Breezes
9. Virginia Plain
10. Re-Make/Re-Model
11. Ladytron
12. If There Is Something
13. 2HB
14. The Bob (Medley)
15. Chance Meeting
16. Would You Believe?
17. Sea Breezes
18. Bitters End
19. Virginia Plain
20. Menu / Roxy Music / Super Deluxe

Could this really not include Pyjamarama? Asking for a friend...

I thought "Pyjamarama" was from the "For Your Pleasure" recording sessions, so I would expect it to be part of that set (if there is one, that is, which I hope there is!)

I thought "Pyjamarama" was from the "For Your Pleasure" recording sessions, so I would expect it to be part of that set (if there is one, that is, which I hope there is!)

It was not long after first album, might have been first fruits of FYP Sessions. have a 45 rpm single from U.K. and it uses 1st album artwork and takes a b-Side from it as well.

Back