Roxy Music - Roxy Music (1st album 1972) on 5.1 DVD mixed by Steven Wilson!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just ordered, I use Importcds for about 75% of my multichannel releases and have never had so much as an "oops" from them. You're in good hands.
Don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but looks like Todd Rundgren's greatest LPs are coming out in SACD also! Albeit stereo, but still, great news...:banana:

You missed a chance at getting them at a 10% discount in the recent sale...still a good price HERE....and HERE

I can't believe they haven't sold out at importcds...the prices for those at Acoustic Sounds are $32.98 and $26.98...

Sigh. Third time's the charm, as they say: cancelled on Amazon UK, then US, and now have a pre-order on ImportCDs.

Have used them before, and they seem reliable (if a bit slow in shipping, although that seems to have improved).

Still thinking I'll regret not getting the signed version -- at least that one's for sale at a set price! Just too much. . . .

The signed version is sold out...I hope this suggestion isn't obtuse...but there is a commonly practiced strategy with these releases...it does require you keeping track of your orders...make pre-orders at multiple places and then wait to see what happens in regards to prices and supply availability....it just requires you keeping track of the release date so you can cancel the pre-order that doesn't work for you...that way you are "in early" on these titles and let the best company win:)...just don't pull a Gos and forget about the orders...of course that isn't going to happen to Gos anymore because TODAY is the first day of Gos 3.0...he's going to be more responsible and not make mistakes like that because he's not going to order every freaking title that is released:xp:...at least that is the plan going forward.

"You missed a chance at getting them at a 10% discount in the recent sale...still a good price HERE....and HERE"

Yeah Clint< I don't always catch all the sales, but they are reasonably priced right from the company. Speaking of which, I had not heard of the "Analog Sparks" label? As a small, independent, audiophile label, I wonder if they could be persuaded to jump on the quad/5.1 bandwagon?

Now, back to your regularly scheduled Roxy forecast.....

"You missed a chance at getting them at a 10% discount in the recent sale...still a good price HERE....and HERE"

Yeah Clint< I don't always catch all the sales, but they are reasonably priced right from the company. Speaking of which, I had not heard of the "Analog Sparks" label? As a small, independent, audiophile label, I wonder if they could be persuaded to jump on the quad/5.1 bandwagon?

Now, back to your regularly scheduled Roxy forecast.....

Why don't you(and others)contact them here they actually WANT some input about future releases

My concern is the 1999 mastering for the cd. 1 version. Its heavily criticised online. Does anyone here have or heard about this version?

The 1999 mastering is worthless. Find a run of the mill vintage Polydor Europe or Reprise North America CD. Your ears will be happy and your wallet full.

Here's a rundown of the various CD masterings for the self titled debut. The list is in no particular order.

Note that discs with 10 tracks have "Virginia Plain" added to the original album, those with 9 have the original tracklisting.

Mastering 1: 92.8/77.3/76.2/(95.4)/60.9/71.4/54.2/83.1/74.0/74.3
UK Virgin/EG 0777 7 86480 2 4 EGCD 6 / Matrix: 786480 2 3 EMI SWINDON
US Reprise 9 26039-2 matrix: SRC=04

Mastering 2: 95.7/95.9/94.6/(95.7)/95.9/95.9/91.3/95.2/95.6/76.0
HDCD Remaster EU?

Mastering 3: 88.2/75.9/88.1/(68.5)/71.9/92.8/45.5/84.8/60.9/71.8
West Germany Polydor/EG 821522-2 / Matrix: 821522-2 01

Mastering 4: 98.1/81.7/81.2/65.0/78.0/59.2/90.2/79.0/76.9
Japan 32VD-1103 Black Triangle / Matrix: ?

Mastering 5: 98.1/81.7/81.2/75.1/65.0/78.0/59.2/90.2/79.0/76.9
E’G/Virgin 0777 7 086480 2 4 EGCD6 Matrix: DADC AUSTRIA EGCD-6 22 A2
This 1991 Picture CD appears to be the same as the Black Triangle but with Virginia Plain inserted.

Many thanks for your reply mdm08033

This is just inexplicable for a deluxe reissue where a new stereo remix was already commissioned and presumably paid for from Steven Wilson. While I had no hesitation preordering the new Jethro Tull reissue I think I am just going to sit this one out until hear some reviews. I think someone interfered too much with the contents and not for our benefit.

amazon.com is now taking preorders again. Current price is $89.99, practically better than any price across the pond.

:)

Ok, what's going on here?
Now amazon.com's price jumped up to $189.98, while the price on bullmoose.com jumped up to $159.97... :violin

My pre-order prices on each site are still in effect, so fingers crossed they don't cancel my orders! :mad:@: :confused:

Now amazon.com's price jumped up to $189.98, while the price on bullmoose.com jumped up to $159.97... :violin

My pre-order prices on each site are still in effect, so fingers crossed they don't cancel my orders! :mad:@: :confused:

Wow! I just panicked... couldn't remember if I just placed the album in my cart yesterday or actually purchased it! Turns out I purchased, so for now I'm at $89. Thanks for the heads up yesterday:)

Amazon.ca is still active at 116. Canadian

Musicvaultz has it for 103. Canadian...

Well in the UK Burning Shed has it for £120 and Amazon for £130. Was it Jesus who once said "No way, Jose".

The next Jethro Tull one Heavy Horses, at £32, is more expensive than the previous Jethro Tulls in the series, but its a quarter of the Roxy Music price! And the Jethro Tull has more content, and probably a better (though smaller) book. Its a strange world :mad:@:

Well...when it was just the amazons tinkering with the price....there was nothing to be concerned about...BUT now if other outlets like Bullmoose are affected ....this is a major problem...and one I was afraid of when I posted THIS...

This is an indication that the record company is involved..and if so...those pre orders at the lower prices will be cancelled...and you can't kill the messenger(like Bullmoose and other outlets)as the outlets can't sell them at that price and take a loss...now I'm going to speculate what MIGHT have happened...when amazon uk first posted that high pre order price... people were so excited that they pre ordered even though the price was sky high.....and it was the first outlet to even price this release...and here is the speculation part...what if amazon contacted the record company and told them that they already have a lot of pre orders at this lofty price and why not raise the price...since amazon is a major outlet I'm sure that would have been a consideration for the record company..

My advice now would be for everyone that has a pre order from the amazons to cancel their pre order...and if anyone has an order in the US that's a $100 or more...cancel it...I actually decided to pre order from Bullmoose at $69.97 after re considering my position of the content of the album...the Steven Wilson factor made me at least try this one and see what it's like with quality sound...not just depending on youtube...

I know for some this is a hard thing to do...but...sometimes you just have to draw the line...this set isn't worth any where near the inflated price that is now being proposed...so if there are MASSIVE cancelled orders.... that will get the attention of the record company...and remember...we have until Feb...I'm anxious to see what Paul Sinclair says about this "mess"...there is no way the record company can spin this to justify this price...this is Roxy Music...not the Beatles...

Ugh. Just received this from Bull Moose:

Universal, the distributor of Virgin products, has increased the list price of the Roxy Music super deluxe set from $89.98 to $189.98. The content has not changed and we are unsure why the price went up $100. Of course, this also increases our cost by nearly $100 and we will be unable to ship this at the original $69.97 price we had on the item. We are cancelling your original pre-order for this item. Your card was authorized but not charged so you will not be charged for this. We have re-opened orders on this item at a new price of $159.97, which we hope will be competitive. I apologize for this change and cancellation. Chad bullmoose.com

Universal, the distributor of Virgin products, has increased the list price of the Roxy Music super deluxe set from $89.98 to $189.98. The content has not changed and we are unsure why the price went up $100. Of course, this also increases our cost by nearly $100 and we will be unable to ship this at the original $69.97 price we had on the item. We are cancelling your original pre-order for this item. Your card was authorized but not charged so you will not be charged for this. We have re-opened orders on this item at a new price of $159.97, which we hope will be competitive. I apologize for this change and cancellation. Chad bullmoose.com

Yep...just received the email...

wow!! I feel bad for all you who have been waiting for this title. That sure seems like a ridiculous amount of money. GOS 3.0 is sitting this one out. :)

Same here. That sucks...
My amazon.com order is still hanging on, but that's probably a lost cause as well.
It will only be when that order gets cancelled that I will really raise hell.
Until then, I'm just gonna be vigilant and see how this all shakes out.

My advice now would be for everyone that has a pre order from the amazons to cancel their pre order...and if anyone has an order in the US that's a $100 or more...cancel it...I actually decided to pre order from Bullmoose at $69.97 after re considering my position of the content of the album...the Steven Wilson factor made me at least try this one and see what it's like with quality sound...not just depending on youtube...

I know for some this is a hard thing to do...but...sometimes you just have to draw the line...this set isn't worth any where near the inflated price that is now being proposed...so if there are MASSIVE cancelled orders.... that will get the attention of the record company...and remember...we have until Feb...I'm anxious to see what Paul Sinclair says about this "mess"...there is no way the record company can spin this to justify this price...this is Roxy Music...not the Beatles...

As I suggested in my post #332

Back