Roxy Music - Roxy Music (1st album 1972) on 5.1 DVD mixed by Steven Wilson!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/roxy-music-breakup/

Well ladies and gents, we may finally have lift off on some Steven Wilson remixed Roxy Music albums!

In this article, Phil Manzanera states the following:

The last time Roxy Music released an album was 32 years ago, when ‘Avalon’ came out at the dawn of MTV. But that doesn’t mean there won’t be any more Roxy product. In fact, they have two box sets coming out next year focused on their first two albums, Manzanera said.

:51banana::51banana::51banana:

So please keep your fingers crossed and continue to knock on wood that this actually happens, especially on Blu-Ray and/or DVDA! :)

A few other news stories are picking up this extra bit of info too:

The Guardian:
Deluxe reissues of the first two albums, featuring extra material, are due to be released in 2015.

Music Times:
The good news: The band's first two albums, Roxy Music and For Your Pleasure, will be released in deluxe box sets during 2015.

Rolling Stone:
The news for Roxy Music fans isn't all bleak. "We have some fantastic box sets of the first two albums out next year," says Manzanera. "There's all sorts of things; extra [Brian] Eno ingredients and stuff. I'm very excited about it."

Exclaim.ca:
Fans still have something to be excited about, though, with Manzanera revealing that Roxy Music will be releasing box sets of their first two albums next year.

From the recent announcement about Steven Wilson's 60GB sound library Ghostwriter, comes these clues:

1. The Ghostwriter credits:

Wilson has become known for his 5.1 surround sound mixes, starting with his own projects, but more recently for remixing the catalogues of King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Roxy Music, XTC, and Yes, among others. His surround sound mixes have been Grammy nominated on four occasions, and he has twice won “Album of the Year” at the Surround Music Awards.

2. "This guy is remixing our debut LP in 5.1 surround sound, so I was listening to The Bob and I was laughing. It's pure prog. The whole of that first album sounds so weird. It's such a mish-mash of stuff. Roxy just wouldn't get signed today."

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2012/sep/02/roxy-music-40-years

3. Circle back to the QQ guessing game and I think we know now what we didn't then:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...in&highlight=which+1972+album+wilson+surround

Good detective work by Tim in points 1 and 2.
Its funny that Phil Manzanera just refers to SW as 'This guy is remixing' in the point 2 article.

For guessing game point 3, I think its Lizardking who first mentions Roxy Music 1st album in post 51. Its kind of fun taking a look back at what people suggested the title to be or in my case more of a wish what could be next title by SW.
I wasn't even close in my guesses.

So is this a done deal then that Roxy Music is for sure this mystery 1972 non prog album that SW was talking about?

peter

Didn't even know you could get Avalon in 5.1. :yikes

I have it...but it is costly now..here is one

I went back and checked my amazon account and I bought my "new" Avalon in July for $102.98 HERE

I used to see them on Ebay for $70 sometimes but you had to jump on them quick...they don't last long..you gotta make sure you get the multi-channel version

Last edited:
Thanks for that link! This is very exciting as I will enjoy as much Roxy Music in 5.1 as they are willing to release. :)

Agree! I for one, would LOVE to see what magic Steven Wilson could do on the Roxy debut...it's a far out collection of songs/sounds...I think it would be great.

No it's a GREAT song! Just imagine all that phases by in the closing section.

Yes quite the sleeve on that one too.

And I would love A New Worlds Record very much.

From QQ deep space

I guess with Kscope listing these reissues in Steven Wilson's press release that it really is happening!

Hoping for both Blu-Ray and DVDA. Seems like things are looking up since "Songs from the Big Chair" was released.

I would love all of the Roxy albums in surround, along with a Blu-Ray reissue of the 2003 "Avalon" surround mix.

Time to let our wallets do the talking! :)

I'd definitely be in for the earlier Roxy stuff, everything up to Siren, maybe Manifesto.

Back