Roxy Music - Roxy Music (1st album 1972) on 5.1 DVD mixed by Steven Wilson!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is only one resolution for DSD on SACD: 1-bit/2.8224MHz, also known as single-rate (1x) or 64fs (64 times full-scale as in 44.1kHz). It is possible that the masters were captured at a higher DSD resolution, but there are no lower DSD resolutions.

Yes thank you, that makes it very simple. Yet I remain skeptical as to the end product. Does anyone actually own any of these discs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snooooooooooood got me box suuuuuuuuuuuuuper quick like what in one day DHL Express and Momma Snood had to sign.......Snood did not pay for overnight or fast shipping :yikes

Only thing was - was shipped in big over sized box with no inner box just a few bubble packs - luckily no damage at all..........but if it would have been normal shipping, me thinks there would have been a lot of banging around. :mad:@:

But wow - pretty sure me just posted yesterday that they said me box had shipped and wowzerz - Canada truly does love Snoooooooooood :banana:

Think saw where Timbre's boxset was delivered today also :banana:

Yes thank you, that makes it very simple. Yet I remain skeptical as to the end product. Does anyone actually own any of these discs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, they are true analog to DSD transfers and the first album especially, Avalon and For Your Pleasure sound better than on the 2012 CD boxset.

My box set arrived this afternoon :banana:, I haven't listened yet, but one thing surprised me - that the 5.1 album mix is only mentioned as a footnote for the DVD with the videos :mad:@:

The book is heavy, but I'll listen to the album way more times than I read it!

I played the DVD today, liked it, a really interesting mix suits Roxy Music. I have a problem with the disc, does anyone else?

On my Oppo 203, the Paris tracks play all Ok, as does the 5.1 DTS mix (haven't tried the 5.1 DD) but with the BBC videos on Full House version of Ladytron it gets to about 3:40 sticks for while, jumps to 4:30, then goes back to the Title page. I can't see a problem anywhere on the disc. Anybody else found that?

I played the DVD today, liked it, a really interesting mix suits Roxy Music. I have a problem with the disc, does anyone else?

On my Oppo 203, the Paris tracks play all Ok, as does the 5.1 DTS mix (haven't tried the 5.1 DD) but with the BBC videos on Full House version of Ladytron it gets to about 3:40 sticks for while, jumps to 4:30, then goes back to the Title page. I can't see a problem anywhere on the disc. Anybody else found that?

No problems with the DVD for me.

Finally got my hands on the DVD and can't wait to listen to the 5.1 tonite. I'll be back with a review soon.

already sold out - Must be the right price point.
I found my right price point - thanks to Clint.

Just a reminder...if you missed out on the Roxy Music box set at this recent price on amazon....keep in mind that you can still order it at that price...there is a good chance that they can get more in stock...and you have nothing to lose by making the order now...they won't charge your credit card until the item ships....HERE

Just a reminder...if you missed out on the Roxy Music box set at this recent price on amazon....keep in mind that you can still order it at that price...there is a good chance that they can get more in stock...and you have nothing to lose by making the order now...they won't charge your credit card until the item ships....HERE

Call me a hypocrite, but I received $350 in Amazon gift cards for my B~day and couldn't resist the sale price. Clint, you still haven't shared your thoughts [or, PROGrockNOSIS] regarding SW's 5.1 remix or are you saving that for a rainy day? :yikes

Call me a hypocrite, but I received $350 in Amazon gift cards for my B~day and couldn't resist the sale price. Clint, you still haven't told us your thoughts regarding SW's 5.1 remix or are you saving that for a rainy day? :yikes

I think it's a great mix.....but I'm a bit torn as the genre has me thinking too much. If I were to vote on the mix only....I'd be close to a 9.5 :)

ImportCDs cancelled my first order (too cheap) and charged me 130 dollars (fair)--but won't send it to me as it is "backordered." REALLY?

Deliver or you screwed me!!! Where is my order?

ImportCDs cancelled my first order (too cheap) and charged me 130 dollars (fair)--but won't send it to me as it is "backordered." REALLY?

Deliver or you screwed me!!! Where is my order?

Even though AmazonUS currently lists this as OUT OF STOCK, I just checked my 'orders' with Amazon and they are showing a shipment date of Saturday, February 24th by 8 PM.

Maybe it's time to cancel your order with ImportCD and order it from Amazon at the 'significantly' cheaper price.....like 50 BUCKS!:yikes

Whether Amazon delivers on that date is another question in which case I'll bitch to their customer service department and hopefully end up with a credit.

Maybe it's time to cancel your order with ImportCD and order it from Amazon at the 'significantly' cheaper price.....like 50 BUCKS!:yikes

My original order came from Amazon at a much lower price . . . if I keep this one active, it is because I know a friend who'll like a copy. If not, it's eBay bait 8').

But I haven't forgotten it is there!

My original order came from Amazon at a much lower price . . . if I keep this one active, it is because I know a friend who'll like a copy. If not, it's eBay bait 8').

But I haven't forgotten it is there!

Just checked my order status @ Amazon and it now states 'we need a little more time to give you a delivery estimate....' Hmmmm!:(

Highlights from Paul Sinclair's interview with Phil Manzanera:
http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/interview/phil-manzanera-on-roxy-music/

PHILMAN.jpg

SuperDeluxeEdition:The reissue has been long in the making hasn’t it?

Phil Manzanera: Yes.

SDE: It has been talked about for the last four or five years.

Phil Manzanera: Or longer.

SDE: How involved have you been in the process?

Phil Manzanera: I did go along to the 5.1 mix that Steven Wilson did and Bryan really did the book – which is amazing. Over the years, I have listened to all the stuff they sent and all the suggestions of how to do it, and it’s true, it’s been going on since… I mean it started with Virgin [Records] actually, before Virgin got bought by Universal, so it does go back quite a long time. But I think we’ve ended up with something that has been worth taking the time on, so I’m very happy and proud of it really. For people who are interested, they’ll love it.

SDE: It ticks most the boxes doesn’t it; the outtakes, the demos, the BBC sessions, and the video footage and the like. But the 5.1 mix in particular, I’m interested in that. I’m quite a fan of surround sound and particularly Steven Wilson’s work in 5.1.

Phil Manzanera: Yeah, he is the man, Steven Wilson. He has cornered the market and you know, what was amazing as we were sitting down and listening to the original tapes – obviously, they were then transferred onto digital – but hearing how beautiful they sounded compared to, you know, the limitations of the technology at the time [when] you didn’t know what the quality of the vinyl was, and you were trying to cut it so the needle didn’t jump and cutting down all the songs so that, you know, there was under 20 minutes [on each side]. But when I sat there and heard really what we’d recorded coming out of each speaker, I was amazed. Actually, I thought oh my God, it could have sounded a lot better.

SDE: So how many tracks did Steven Wilson have to play with then? What was the original recording?

Phil Manzanera: 16 tracks. So you know, not hundreds. I mean what was important about recording then was capturing a band playing live, to a certain extent – not the vocals and stuff, but you know, you did takes in the old analogue way and so everything had to be very concise, there weren’t lots of tracks, so you had to do your part… there was very little opportunity to do any overdubbing, because there just weren’t the [spare] tracks, you know. And you had to split tracks and put a little bit of something on one bit and then later on in the track you might be able to find the space to put something else on. So, there was all sorts of constraints to do with analogue recording, but they made you focus very intently on your part and your sound – you had one shot at it.

SDE: So you must have been there with Steven, to help him navigate his way round all the things you’ve just been describing.

Phil Manzanera: Steven, you know, he’s a professional, he knows what he’s doing. But the great thing is he just put it up and it just sounded amazing, I thought, fans will love it, when they hear it, especially ones that have gone longer, like Ladytron. You know, at the end of Ladytron, on the 5.1, that is what we did at the time, whereas, on the vinyl it just faded out after a very short amount of time. So you get added extra added Eno!

SDE: Are you saying it’s the longer version of ‘Ladytron’ on the 5.1 mix then?

Phil Manzanera: Yes. I think that’s the only one that is longer.

SDE: Because there was, that Record Store Day vinyl in 2015, wasn’t there, that had a stereo remix of the longer ‘Ladytron’….

Phil Manzanera: Yes, that would have come from this.

SDE: Speaking of which, one comment that Steven Wilson made on his Facebook page is that on the DVD in the box set, there’s obviously the 5.1 mix which we’re discussing, but there isn’t a hi-res stereo version of the album…

Phil Manzanera: Yes, I can’t answer that, I’ve got no idea why that didn’t happen. You know, and I mean [he’s] absolutely right. I knew I was going to be banging on about how great the 5.1 mix is so it’s a bit disappointing that they didn’t do it, but I suppose you know, this thing is huge, like The Titanic; [you] hope it doesn’t sink and crash. But maybe they’ll bring it out at some point… but you know it’s just, there’s so many aspects of this box set to deal with that quite frankly it’s a miracle it’s come out at all.

SDE: Well, there’s so many aspects but there’s also so many people involved in approving things as well. I guess those two things together become a bit tortuous after a while?

Phil Manzanera: A bit tortuous, yeah! Bands… that’s bands for you. A bloody nuisance.

SDE: So how long did it take Steven to do the 5.1 mix?

Phil Manzanera: Well, I was only there for a day but I don’t know if he had prepped it before – maybe he had and I was just listening to what he had already done and just making sure that you know, all the things were in the right place.

And this:
SDE: But let me ask you this though, the physical set is undoubtedly going to be a lovely object and the audio, the contents and the 5.1 mix… it sounds amazing. But it is £130 to buy it… there will be a lot of people that may consider that an outrageous amount of money, no matter how good it is. What are your thoughts on that?

PM: I wish I could say that we were going to make a whole load of money out of it [laughs] but I think, the horrible truth is that we, the band, are on the same percentage that we were in 1972…

SDE: Really? Hasn’t anyone re-negotiated it for you?

PM: Well you know, I’m trying to speak to Universal at the moment on behalf of everybody because, you suddenly think ‘well this is wonderful and I love this’… but [then] hang on, we’re not actually going to earn anything from it. But I’m very proud to have it come out. But I’m sure, it will get discounted… I mean, that area is nothing to do with me. One of the things about being a musician, who started in 1972, is that you sign to someone, they get bought by someone, they get gobbled up by someone else and 45 years later you end up on a label that has nothing to do with the original thing. You don’t have any rights over it because of copyright law – which needs changing incidentally…

SDE: ... and you have no relationship with any personnel at the record company.

PM: Well, obviously the people who actually put it together, Mark Wood and David Rowe they’re very nice people, [but] they’re not the business people. They’re not the corporate entity. But when it comes to the price, I hope it’s going to be a beautiful thing to have and what things end up costing in the end just depends on discounting and all these different people who sell the stuff…it might be a suggested retail price. Who knows?

Very interesting stuff. You can also purchase a booklet of both Phil's interview and Andy Mackay's interview from the SDE store:
https://www.shopsuperdeluxe.com/pro...hil-manzanera-limited-signed-numbered-booklet

:)

I've mentioned it before, but I was very fortunate to have met Phil back in Estudios Kirios , Madrid in1991, who, like most people in the biz who have stayed on top, is a class act...

Back