Elton John "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" HFPA Blu-Ray Release

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Hi all.
Elton John has officially announced the 40th anniversary reissues of "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road", which can be pre-ordered here: http://store.eltonjohn.com/gybr40
Interestingly enough, the High Fidelity Pure Audio Blu-Ray disc of the album is not available in the 5 disc Super Deluxe Edition, so it will only be available as a separate item. This is good news for those of you who only want the Blu-Ray disc but bad news for those of you want the other discs in the Box Set too.
To put it simply, PLEASE Pre-Order/Purchase the HFPA Blu-Ray disc!! This is the best way that we can send a message to Elton, UMe, and any others involved in this reissue to say that we want all of Elton's classic albums to be released with their 5.1 mixes on HFPA!
I've included the link to preorder the Blu-Ray disc from amazon below, so please, get to it!

http://www.amazon.com/Goodbye-Yellow-Brick-Anniversary-Blu-Ray/dp/B00I48RA76/

:banana:

I wonder if the HFPA features the supposedly new 40th anniversary Bob Ludwig master, as mentioned on EJ's store page? If it does, will this be a good thing?

Bizarre that the box set doesn't feature the HFPA disc, requiring multiple purchases if you want the lot. I know you can't please all of the people all of the time, but you'd think someone may have come up with a way to allow fans to customise their package by specifying which elements they want and then adjusting prices accordingly. Even the movie in the boxset is DVD as opposed to Blu Ray.

Of course, the painfully ironic thing is that all of the content in the box set, along with a hi res stereo and 5.1 mix could've easily been fitted onto a single Blu Ray disc. That plus the book and Robert, as they say, would be your mother's brother! But, as Quad Linda will pull me up on again, this would leave them nothing to sell to us on the 45th or 50th anniversaries! ;-) How many re-releases has this album had now? Fred?? ;-)

Last edited:
I've included the link to preorder the Blu-Ray disc from amazon below, so please, get to it!
http://www.amazon.com/Goodbye-Yellow-Brick-Anniversary-Blu-Ray/dp/B00I48RA76/
Do we really know if this is the 5.1 mix?

Edit: Nevermind. I followed your link http://store.eltonjohn.com/gybr40 and then this
http://store.eltonjohn.com/goodbye-yellow-brick-road-hd-pure-audio-blu-ray

and found this description:
Elton's classic 1973 album, newly remasted on HD Pure Audio Blu-ray. The Pure Audio Blu-ray combines the Blu-ray format’s vast storage capacity and bandwidth necessary for high resolution sound (up to 192 kHz/24Bit) in surround and stereo with the easy and straight-forward handling of a CD. Pure Audio Blu-rays play back on every Blu-ray player.

Do we really know if this is the 5.1 mix?

From the HFPA Facebook page
Good afternoon everyone! We're really excited about this!

On March 24th a brand new 40th Anniversary 2014 remaster of Elton John's iconic 1973 ‘Goodbye Yellow Brick Road’ album will be available on High Fidelity Pure Audio! Also included with this new stereo mix will be a 5.1 surround mix of the album, and as usual a download card to download a portable MP3 version of the album.

Selling over 31 million albums worldwide and going platinum in the US 7 times over, ‘Goodbye Yellow Brick Road’ is widely regarded as the double album that made Elton John a household name - and 40 years on it will be given the full HD treatment on Pure Audio.

You can pre-order from Elton John's official website now, and further pre-order links will follow. http://store.eltonjohn.com/goodbye-yellow-brick-road-hd-pure-audio-blu-ray

Last edited:
They really seem to be pushing the "big ticket" items, it would be great if the unreleased 5.1 albums got issued.

I'll probably buy it, even though I have it and it's my least favourite of the EJ 5.1 discs...

hard to do a count of re-releases since the original Rob but I'll try.. by my reckoning so far there's been:

Yellow Vinyl Limited Edition Reissue (1976 & 1980 repressings identical),
Half Speed Super Disk LP (1980 Jack Hunt mastering),
DJM (2 x) CD,
MCA (2 x) CD,
MFSL LP,
Polygram (2 x) CD,
MFSL (x 1) CD,
MFSL Ultragain II (x 1) CD,
1995 Rocket Remastered (1 x) CD,
Japanese PaperSleeve Collection (x 1) CD,
Japanese Vinyl Sleeve Replica (x 1) CD,
LP sized packaging with Gus' 95 Rocket remastered (x 1) CD,
Speakers' Corner German LP,
2003 3-Disc Deluxe Edition (2 x SACDs, 1 x DVD-V w/abridged Classic Albums making of Doc.),
2004 2-Disc DVD-Audio (1 x DVD-A, 1 x DVD-V w/abridged Classic Albums making of.),
Simply Vinyl LP,
SHM-CD,
SHM-SACD,
Back To Black Vinyl.

Last edited:
Is this a different surround mix from the Multi-channel SACD?

Don't think there's been any info on the 5.1 but the stereo is said to be a new remastering for 2014 by Bob Ludwig.

I doubt the 5.1 will be new but then the recent Tommy HFPA release featured a new 5.1 remix so anything is possible.

For me the main draw of this release is that it might, just might lead to more Elton 5.1 mixes on Blu-ray, including the hitherto unreleased Greg Penny 5.1 mixes of Elton's 70's albums "Caribou", "Rock of the Westies", "Blue Moves", and "Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only The Piano Player".. something I've been hoping for since I heard of UMG's plans to release new Hi-Rez product on Blu-ray last year and since UMG pulled the plug on SACD just as they were poised to release those aforementioned surround mixes (approx 10 years ago now).

if the leaked UMG memo that was doing the rounds last year is anything to go by, we can expect a Blu-ray Audio HFPA release of Captain Fantastic & The Brown Dirt Cowboy too, at the very least.

My thoughts exactly fred. I won't buy this since I already own but if it gets people into hi-rez audio and people see the coolness of 5.1 then what's not to like. Sure they're taking the easiest approach and probably the laziest but I take the good with the bad. Who knows, this could be like Sea Change where the HFPA mix blows the SACD away.

I'm going to buy this one, my first of the new so called pure audio BluRays.

If Layla had included the 5.1 mix I would have brought that but it didn't so it was a no buy for me.

What appeals to me about BluRays is that there are many more players available for BluRays than SACDs.

I initially had huge problems getting a player that could play SACDs and even DVD-Audio ( almost impossible)

GBYBR was my first DVD-Audio purchase way back when. I think I'll make this my first HFPA purchase - although I am not expecting a noticeable difference.

GBYBR was my first DVD-Audio purchase way back when. I think I'll make this my first HFPA purchase - although I am not expecting a noticeable difference.

A fitting way to get into HFPA if I may say (y)

the stereo should be different at the very least, as Universal et al are billing the HFPA as having a new 2014 remaster by Bob Ludwig at Gateway Mastering :)

From Amazon.com:-

The iconic 1973 Goodbye Yellow Brick Road album presented in glorious HD on the Blu-ray High Fidelity Pure Audio format. This will include the stereo mix of the brand new 2014 remaster as well as the 2003 5.1 surround sound mix of the album.

Back