Elton John "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" HFPA Blu-Ray Release

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never been that fussed about Jack Rabbit, Whenever You're Ready & Screw You.. though GP's "Acoustic" reimagining of Candle In The Wind was superb
Agreed on Candle in the Wind. The others, which I happen to think are a bit of enjoyable fun, were originally on 1995's remastered Cd of Don't Shoot Me (in stereo of course).

Very good point, well made (y)

From the various articles & interviews about & with Greg Penny on his remixing of the Elton John back catalogue I've seen either they mention or he says himself that he did most of the mastering (and various other tricks and diddles!) himself as he was mixing, together with Gus Skinas at the DSD stages but the GYBR had some other personnel involved or at least credited in the SACD liners.

as I said, it strikes me the BDA could be Greg's 'unfutzed with' mastering.. but I could be totally wrong and probably am!

You could be right on here. These could be the original 2003 Greg Penny's mixed tracks that were not included on the SACD. Like, they wouldn't be lying regarding the BD!

I've Seen That Movie Too is one where the acoustic guitars seemed less forward in the mix, plus the electric (wah-wah) solo (which starts in the centre and works its way out and around the other speakers towards its climax) seemed better integrated on the BD.

First shot at doing a BD/SACD comparison of this song...Beautiful song...impressions:

1) location of the acoustic guitar is heavily weighted to my RR speaker
2) Electric guitar solo weighted to my LR speaker then seems to move to the front

That's all I got so far. I only have one player set up so I have to change discs. Maybe I haven't developed a discerning ear yet but right now I doubt I could tell the difference on a blind test. They both sound great to me. Elton's voice is outstanding :) I'll have to do more testing...

Try comparing Jamaica Jerk-Off. I heard a distinct difference with the left front backing vocal (rasta-man talking) on the SACD seems to be in a different location or muted on the BD. I still haven't given it a second listen yet. I will tomorrow.

I had a chance to compare Jamaica Jerk-Off again. Over the weekend, I ended up reinserting my second sub back into the surround system and needed to re-calibrate with room correction. The mix on both BD and SACD are exactly the same. The background vocal I thought I was hearing out of the left speaker turned out to be coming from the left surround. Not only that, the voices get panned around the room during most of the song anyway.

Try comparing Jamaica Jerk-Off. I heard a distinct difference with the left front backing vocal (rasta-man talking) on the SACD seems to be in a different location or muted on the BD. I still haven't given it a second listen yet. I will tomorrow.

OK, I attempted to do a comparison on JJO and timed when/where I was hearing the "Rasta Man":

00:18, Front
00:35, RR
01:13, RR
01:18, LR
02:08, LR

I was "looking" for what I thought were the times when his voice is most discernible. The SACD and BD were the same for me. It might be possible that there are other places where a more subtle difference could be found...

Agreed on Candle in the Wind. The others, which I happen to think are a bit of enjoyable fun, were originally on 1995's remastered Cd of Don't Shoot Me (in stereo of course).

those 3 (weak in comparison to the original GYBR album tracks imho) excerpted tracks from the GYBR sessions have had lots of airings over the years (I'm sick of them!).

they popped up on the "Lady Samantha" tape/8-trk compilation in '74 and for the 1st time on LP on a different "Lady Samantha" compilation in the early 80's.. which then got reissued on CD in the late 80's.. and then they appeared again on the (excellent) Rare Masters 2CD set in '92... then they were tacked onto the DSMIOTPP remaster as bonuses in '95 together with the re-recorded "Piano Version" of Skyline Pigeon (which I love! if only the DSMIOTPP 5.1 would come out with that as a bonus!) those 3 trks would/should by rights have been on the GYBR remaster in '95 but wouldn't all fit on 1 CD.

Phew! A brief history of Screw You Jack Rabbit We'll Never Go Steady Again! :D

There is absolutely NO fade up at all at the beginning of Social Disease on the 5.1 of the Blu-ray...it's all at the same volume all the way through!!!!!! This is a very bad thing for purists.. a great thing for fanatics! It's definitely different to the old SACD!

...Continuing with my BD vs. SACD comparison: Yes, no fade-up on Social Disease on my BD...tambourine levels seem the same to me on ATGLA...at any rate I like the BD just cuz I don't have to get off my a** to change discs (y)

...Continuing with my BD vs. SACD comparison: Yes, no fade-up on Social Disease on my BD...tambourine levels seem the same to me on ATGLA...at any rate I like the BD just cuz I don't have to get off my a** to change discs (y)

haha! Hello mellow brick road! It's all about the convenience! :D how are you finding the relative front to back volume levels? some found the old SACDs a bit "rear heavy"..

I'm guessing that Greg Penny did a "manual" fade up of the levels on "Social Disease" during his mastering as a way of replicating the original stereo presentation and whomever did the transfer of Penny's mixes simply neglected to do this. And obviously, they were putting said mixes onto a new format. So on the most technical of levels, that does make it a new "mastering." But not by much.

haha! Hello mellow brick road! It's all about the convenience! :D how are you finding the relative front to back volume levels? some found the old SACDs a bit "rear heavy"..

Didn't notice the surround speakers volume level being too high. That said, I can't say that I've given the entire album a quality listen yet. EJ just has some fine music that I never paid much attention to back in the day so I'm usually taken by that and the GP mix more than other aspects of the recording. It's all good :sun

Had a listen to the new BD yesterday (5.1 mode). Is it just me or is this very loud? I had to turn it down a lot from my usual levels for pleasant listening.

Had a listen to the new BD yesterday (5.1 mode). Is it just me or is this very loud? I had to turn it down a lot from my usual levels for pleasant listening.

You are not aloud to say that. You will get called a troll. You have to say it sounds great 10/10.

I actually did find it a bit loud, but otherwise sounded great. I was more lost in the surround mix of great classics heard for the first time. If the only problem is reducing the volume a bit, or kicking the significant other out for an hour, I can certainly deal with it! I am looking forward to the other albums coming in this format!

The 5.1 has a DR average of 11, it's not wildly DRC'd compared to the flat transfer SHM-SACD (which is about as good as you're gonna get from the tapes on this album) which has a DR average of 13...and is a lot better than the 2014 Stereo remaster with a DR avg of 9.. but the 5.1 is a bit loud & bright.

Still, a great Surround mix though eh :)

oh and fwiw, the 2014 Stereo may be only a 9 DR avg but it still sounds great.. compression isn't everything, EQ plays a big part and Bob Ludwig dialled down the treble and pushed up the mid and bass, so his remaster while loud sounds warm and mid-rangey lovely. Pleasant surprise. I wish GP & co had similarly held back on the top end when they were doing the 5.1 but they sadly didn't and we're left with a very adventurous surround mix that's a bit bright and can't be cranked much. a shame but seeing as there never was a Quad mix back in the day and the 5.1 in itself is so brilliantly put together, its hard to be too hard on it. well, for me and it would seem a lot of others here and elsewhere too at any rate.

The 5.1 has a DR average of 11, it's not wildly DRC'd compared to the flat transfer SHM-SACD (which is about as good as you're gonna get from the tapes on this album) which has a DR average of 13...and is a lot better than the 2014 Stereo remaster with a DR avg of 9.. but the 5.1 is a bit loud & bright.

Still, a great Surround mix though eh :)

DR doesn't tell you the story of a 5.1 mix. The fronts can be compressed to death with very dynamic rears. There are plenty of examples of that unfortunately. As far as the EQ, i think it is OK.

I still give YBR 7.5/10.

It is a shame these Blu Ray audios are not remastered to be as dynamic as possible. Really lazy and cheap job by Universal, just using previous masters. I was listening to Titanic SACD just now and the mastering is brilliant, you have to crank the music right up, very dynamic in parts.

Back