VIDEO COLLECTION DVD's with true 5.1 mixes!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can anyone comment on the mix for Thin Lizzy "Live and Dangerous" DVD- its listed as DTS 5.1 on the back of the package. Discrete or typical "audience in the rears" concert mix?

Looks like a mixed bag of reviews on Amazon - lot love but lot complain about the muffled sound...........

Also don't expect the actual album performance - they used the album art but they are 2 different concerts one from 75 and another from 83 - from what Snood is reading.

Snood is tempted if can find for real cheap - Love Phil Lynott

Last edited:
Can anyone comment on the mix for Thin Lizzy "Live and Dangerous" DVD- its listed as DTS 5.1 on the back of the package. Discrete or typical "audience in the rears" concert mix?

I'll dig it out and give it another listen and report back - but I think its just reverb/audience in the rear speakers.

Well a few months ago I bought the Deluxe Expanded Edition of 2xCD & DVD [Bar Code: 0600753320730], and gave my brother my old Live & Dangerous DVD, foolishly it seems. I never played the DVD that came with the Expanded Deluxe Ed, more fool me, it says 2.0 & 5.1, but the only thing on the disc is the 2.0 DD! :mad: :howl :flame

Gave the Twisted Sister - The Video Years DVD a spot-check. Sadly, it sounds like center-channel mono, though if you make an effort, you can tell that there's something going on in the front left/right speakers. Throughout my spot-check, I noticed a deep dark all-consuming void in the rear speakers. It absorbed some of my furniture.

The sound quality is comparable to a transistor radio that a sofa maker forgot inside a sofa they were making, except with some added flanging and metallic compression artifacts that make you feel like you're licking a battery while listening.

The music is pretty good though! See if you can find some of their albums on cassette tape. I wish the makers of this DVD had embraced that clearly sonically superior format.

Definitely recommend this DVD. ;-)

Gave the Twisted Sister - The Video Years DVD a spot-check. Sadly, it sounds like center-channel mono, though if you make an effort, you can tell that there's something going on in the front left/right speakers. Throughout my spot-check, I noticed a deep dark all-consuming void in the rear speakers. It absorbed some of my furniture.

The sound quality is comparable to a transistor radio that a sofa maker forgot inside a sofa they were making, except with some added flanging and metallic compression artifacts that make you feel like you're licking a battery while listening.

The music is pretty good though! See if you can find some of their albums on cassette tape. I wish the makers of this DVD had embraced that clearly sonically superior format.

Definitely recommend this DVD. ;-)

SS is another faux surround mix like Weird Al.

I'm loving going through this list to see what I can find. And some of these are SO cheap. Big thanks to Bright Side (and all other contributors).

Here's my thoughts on the Freddie Mercury DVD:

Sound good for DD (i.e. passable but not brilliant) - a lot of it is simple arrangements and 80s synths, so it's not pushing it too hard. It is a surprise to find that all of this is ‘proper’ 5.1, with lots of discrete stuff in the rears, even the live stuff is not just ambience and audience.

I'm a little suspicious of the claim that some of the mixes were done by the original producers, e.g. Mack and Dave Clarke - the booklet credits them with actual remixing but the end credits credit them with producing the remix. We all know how difficult it is to get people interested in 5.1 and, if they are, to get them to do it properly, so it seems a miracle to get the original parties on board.

One mix is by Paul Hicks (son of The Hollies' Tony Hicks) who mixed the fab Paul McCartney video collection DVD very well.

Most overdue post in QQ history.
Thank you.

The most overdue post would have to be either:

The announcement of Pink Floyd's The Wall or Animals on BDA (in surround)

or

The announcement of Rhino's new Quadio series on BDA (Eagles, Doobies, Elton John, etc) - 1 per month until their vaults are emptied...

Cinderella [FONT=&quot]–[/FONT] Rocked, Wired & Bluesed - The Greatest Video Hits (2005)
Fake 5.1 dts (48/24), but otherwise pretty nice sounding release for what it is. The closing credits read:

5.1 audio remastering and audio re-sync'd by Christoph Q. Holden III

48k / 24bit audio mastering by Eric Labson, Universal Mastering Studios West - North Hollywood, CA

just wanted to point out that even though most of the 5.1 mixes on The Beastie Boys Criterion Collection are stereo upmixes it is one disc (maybe the only AFAIK) that includes MANY mixes for EACH song.

In other words, pick any song and play it and then using the "audio" button you can switch between different mixes (sometimes as many as 5 mixes) for that particular song performed live or by (sometimes) different artists or mixed by different mixers.

In other words, it would be like playing a R.E.M. disc and being able to choose the Elliot mix or the whoever mix for each song.

now that's a unique approach and wish it had taken hold.

basically one disc with ALL the different mixes so you only had to buy ONE disc, not 5 different discs for the same album.

Play - Playin' Around World
Korn - Deuce
Jessica Simpson - Dream Chaser

Finally, I've checked my copy of Deuce. As expected, the videos have decent surround mix and the fidelity is OK for Dolby Digital. There are discrete elements in the rears (guitars, vocals) and in the centre (vocals, bass, drums). The videos are: A.D.I.D.A.S., Got The Life, Freak On A Leash, Falling Away From Me, Make Me Bad & Somebody Someone. The channels for the latter look like this:

KxtdgL1.jpg

hi Matt, can you please update the list to move the DVD of music videos in Robert Plant's "Nine Lives" box set to the fake/shit list?

whoever told you the mixes were good surround was sadly mistaken, its just double stereo crap (in 5.1 DTS no less!) all the way, unfortunately. thanks!

Checked Extreme – Videograffiti: The Definitive DVD. It's an OK mix and definitely done using the multitracks/stems, but it's slayed by atrocious sound quality and crushed by unbearable dynamic compresion. Usually, few seconds sound great and then you have to spring for the volume control to actually hear anything.
The mixes and songs get better towards the end, standout tracks would be More Than Words, Tragic Comic and Cynical.
Exceptionally wasted opportunity – if reissued without the SQ/mastering issues and with at least dts codec I'm buying this again!

So, I see there's two versions of Queen's Greatest Video Hits out there.

The first is two separate 2-DVD sets , Greatest Video Hits 1 (2002) and Greatest Video Hits 2 (2003)

Greatest Video Hits 1 has these tracks -- and ONLY DISC 1 is remixed to 5.1 (which is a pity...'Now I'm Here' begs to be mixed to surround)
Disc 1: Bohemian Rhapsody, Another One Bites the Dust, Killer Queen, Fat Bottomed Girls, Bicycle Race, You're My Best Friend, Don't Stop Me Now, Save Me, Crazy Little Thing Called Love, Somebody to Love, Spread Your Wings, Play the Game, Flash, Tie Your Mother Down, We Are the Champions
Disc 2: Now I'm here, Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy, Keep Yourself Alive, Liar, Love of My Life, We Will Rock You (Fast Live Version)

Greatest Video Hits 2 has these tracks -and again ONLY DISC 1 is remixed to 5.1 (with some possible exceptions on Disc 2)
Disc 1 - A Kind of Magic, I Want It All, Radio Ga Ga, I Want to Break Free, Breakthru, Under Pressure, Scandal, Who Wants to Live Forever, The Miracle, It's a Hard Life, The Invisible Man, Las Palabras de Amor, Friends Will Be Friends, Body Language, Hammer to Fall, Princes of the Universe, One Vision
Disc 2 - Back Chat, Calling All Girls, Staying Power; live from Milton Keynes, 1982, "Who Wants To Live Forever" (alternate version), Montreux Golden Rose Pop Festival, Interviews, including one with Freddie Mercury., A Kind of Magic section Volume 3, Montreux Golden Rose Pop Festival, Interviews, One Vision documentary, 'Extended Vision' video, Interviews, 'Making of The Miracle' documentary, 'Making of The Miracle Album Cover' documentary, Bonus video: Who Wants to Live Forever for the Bone Marrow Donor Appeal

The second version is the 2-disc Queen: Greatest Video Hits (2012). Both discs, afaict, are 5.1 , since this version appears simply to be the disc 1's from the previous two sets.
Disc 1 - Bohemian Rhapsody, Another One Bites The Dust, Killer Queen, Fat Bottomed Girls, Bicycle Race, You're My Best Friend, Don't Stop Me Now, Save Me, Crazy Little Thing Called Love, Somebody To Love, Spread Your Wings, Play The Game, Flash, Tie Your Mother Down, We Will Rock You, We Are The Champions ,
Disc 2 - A Kind Of Magic, I Want It All, Radio Ga Ga, I Want To Break Free, Breakthru, Under Pressure, Scandal, Who Wants To Live Forever, The Miracle, It's A Hard Life, The Invisible Man, Las Palabras De Amor, Friends Will Be Friends, Body Language, Hammer To Fall, Princes Of The Universe, One Vision

I presume no further restoration work was done for the second version?

If so I'm thinking I'd rather just get Greatest Video Hits 1, for the vintage videos on Disc 2 (not remixed to surround, alas).

Back