DVD-A car players

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyber 1

701 Club - QQ All-Star
Hi, so it appears a DVD-A and SACD player is not out there so being I would like to put multi channel is my car I need some info as not much was found doing a search. I need a unit the will play DVD-A disks and burnt DVD+R disks, would prefer a USB in and or SDCard options,6 or 7 inch screen if possible, single or double DIN is fine. So what are my options given I don't mind searching for old stock too.

The jvc-kdx is a best buy right now for 158 at e bay. No real screen though and no sd. Or real hard to find such as; Kenwood XXV-05V or pioneer avh-p7600, both are 7" flip out screens,no sd. Kenwood also made a line kw-???? That played dvd-a and dts with flip out screens, but sorry I don't remember the model number. all are single din. Or you can do what A
buddy of mine did, pulled a dble din factory harmon kardon unit out of a 2006 Mercedes from a junkyard for 50$. Nothing I know of is going to support usb and or flash drives.

My concern with a OEM unit is I'm a total bone head when it comes to wiring and it must be able to play burnt DVD+R which is much easier to know with an aftermarket unit. I really hate flip up screens but as a last resort would take one. After looking into this man I'm really surprised how surround never got anywhere other them some OEM units . I'll search out the ones you mention and have a look, sure is a bummer , thanks for the info

Well they all will play dvd-r's. Even the factory units, but no I definitely would not recommend a factory head unless you really know what you are doing. If I was you I would jump on that jvc-kdx unit before it is extinct like all the others.wiring is simple, no separate brain unit, and when amped it sounds excellent.

The JVC holland is referencing plays not only burned DVD-R and +Rs but DVD-Audios you burn. The last part is pretty key because I can put FLAC files on these DVD-Audios using tools like Burn and DVD-Audiofile (for the Mac) and hear them as PCM files at full resolution. You can also burn dewatermarked DVD-Audio ISO files and play them. I've found Quad mixes and burned them onto playable DVD-Audios. Those come over as MLP files that sound great.

You're going to be pretty hard pressed to find both a USB and a SD option. Even if you do, they might not be able to play what you are looking to play. I know the JVC will not read an FLAC file off an MP3 device as I tried it with an old iPhone that I was able to add FLAC playback software to. There was a later JVC unit that hand a USB option but it only played MP3 and AAC files. If you find a unit online, see if you can download the manual and make sure it can do what you want it to do before pulling the trigger.

would you know what the model number is for the JVC -KDX as search bring up many possible model numbers. Also on the Kenwood XXV-05V will it play burnt DVD+R ISO files? I'm not sure even after reading the on line manual. It states: "you cannot play back the DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW discs if not recorded in the DVD-Video or DVD-Audio format"

and also:
DVD Section
D/A Converter ........................................................................24Bit
A/D Converter ........................................................................20Bit
Decoder ....................Linear PCM/Dolby Pro Logic II/Dolby digital/
dts/MLP/MP3/WMA

here is the manual: http://images.kenwood.eu/files/prod/78/5/XXV-05V_(EN).pdf

I believe he is talking about the JVC KD-AVX2. I've put one in my wife's car and it performs well. I have the Pioneer AVH-P7800DVD in my vehicle. I can highly recommend it, but it has the flip up screen.

Yes the model I am talking about is the JVC KD-AVX2.

Cyber, to your other question, it is meaning you can't play DVD-R data discs. You can play burned DVD-Video discs like say a disc of music videos you make with Roxio. You can also play DVD-Audio discs like I am referring to above like say a disc full of FLAC files. I would think a DVD-Audio ISO file will play as the player itself will decode the signal but I can't say for sure.

Last edited:
Burned DVD-Audio discs without watermark protection will play fine. A DVD-Audio copied from a watermark protected disc will not play on the KD-AVX2.

What about the Kenwood XXV-05V will it play burnt DVD-Audio ISO files?

Burned DVD-Audio discs without watermark protection will play fine. A DVD-Audio copied from a watermark protected disc will not play on the KD-AVX2.

I have a JVC KD-AVX2...

I get around this in 3 ways (in order of preference):

1. Burn a DVD-R with just the DVD-V (VIDEO_TS) content from the Watermarked DVD-A...and play the DTS or Dolby Digital
2. Re-author a DVD with DTS
3. Re-author a DVD-A after de-watermarking the MLP... this is a pain in the ass...

yes sir, the kenwood, pioneer and jvc will all play homemade dvd-a iso files as long as you are not trying to copy a watermarked disc, in which case none of them will play.

I believe he is talking about the JVC KD-AVX2. I've put one in my wife's car and it performs well. I have the Pioneer AVH-P7800DVD in my vehicle. I can highly recommend it, but it has the flip up screen.

in my humble opinion the pioneer avh-p7600 and p7800 were/are the best head units ever made, followed closely by the kenwood xxv-05v

thanks for the info, I'll have narrow it down to the Pioneer or Kenwood

Anything double DIN out there? I had a Sony MEX-DV2200 in my last car and Loved it. Thinking of the double DIN Sony SACD player for the new car but I'd like something newer. I don't want a single DIN unit.

hmm sony ehh , nothing good i can say about sony head units my friend, my take on sony is; too little, too late. as far as double din goes the only place i could point you is to original factory dvd-a/v heads like the harmon kardon out of a bmw or Jeep, ELS out of a caddy, HOWEVER I would not recomend anyone attempt something like that unless you have pro level experience in 12v audio.

Will most of the car DVD decks these days play DTS CDs? I would think the deck sees it as a CD, then the DTS decoder plays the audio. I'm looking to upgrade my '07 Civic's stock stereo so I can enjoy some HQ audio. :)

My concern with a OEM unit is I'm a total bone head when it comes to wiring and it must be able to play burnt DVD+R which is much easier to know with an aftermarket unit. I really hate flip up screens but as a last resort would take one. After looking into this man I'm really surprised how surround never got anywhere other them some OEM units . I'll search out the ones you mention and have a look, sure is a bummer , thanks for the info

OEM radio's and wiring is an obsolete issue, you can get adapters that will fit any style plugs to match your car.

Will most of the car DVD decks these days play DTS CDs? I would think the deck sees it as a CD, then the DTS decoder plays the audio. I'm looking to upgrade my '07 Civic's stock stereo so I can enjoy some HQ audio. :)

Some do and some don't, you had better look carefully at the playability features of each model you are interested in. Ten years ago they pretty much all handled dts encoded cd's. But now the push has been away from higher resolution towards convenience, ipod access, sd card access. But from what I see a new wave of high res interest is emerging. Bottom line is look before you leap

Back