Anyone seen this? Elton's GYBR to be re-released on BluRay with 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would guess there are more GYBR sold than all other Elton titles added together.

Not everyone who's interested in hi-res has an SACD or DVD-Audio player. Blu-ray is a lot more easier to go down to your local electronics store and buy.

Not everyone who's interested in hi-res has an SACD or DVD-Audio player. Blu-ray is a lot more easier to go down to your local electronics store and buy.

Are you sure? ;)
They all have SACD or DVD-Players.
The others ars new to the game.

Are there members in this forum only with a blu-ray-player?

Members of this forum are less likely to have a Blu-ray player than those other two types.

The new audience is what I'm referring to, not the people on this forum. The people on this forum are the ones who are disappointed about this release. The people who don't have a clue what SACD and DVD-Audio are is exactly the target audience Universal is trying to get with this release. Say you have a 5.1 system with a blu-ray player and you're a Beck fan. You see a blurb somewhere that Sea Change was released on a Blu-ray in 5.1. You'll probably go out and buy it as you already have the equipment to play it. If you are that same fan and SACD and DVD-Audio are your only options and you don't have a player then you're just not going to bother. I'm not annoyed by this re-release because we need more new buyers to get in the game and show 5.1 is a wanted quantity. If this sells well, maybe Universal will release the other EJ 5.1 mixes.

We're facing an uphill battle here any way since the vast majority of people simply do not care about the quality of their music and just want the cheapest and easiest way to get it (iTunes).

I don't have a blu-ray-player because I can't afford an Oppo and most affordable players aren't compatible with my legacy quad system. Most DVD-Audio/SACD have analog outputs and the ability to downmix to 4.0. Also, they are available used at affordable prices. My carousel DVD-Audio player cost $65 used with remote.

The new audience is what I'm referring to, not the people on this forum. The people on this forum are the ones who are disappointed about this release. The people who don't have a clue what SACD and DVD-Audio are is exactly the target audience Universal is trying to get with this release. Say you have a 5.1 system with a blu-ray player and you're a Beck fan. You see a blurb somewhere that Sea Change was released on a Blu-ray in 5.1. You'll probably go out and buy it as you already have the equipment to play it. If you are that same fan and SACD and DVD-Audio are your only options and you don't have a player then you're just not going to bother. I'm not annoyed by this re-release because we need more new buyers to get in the game and show 5.1 is a wanted quantity. If this sells well, maybe Universal will release the other EJ 5.1 mixes.

We're facing an uphill battle here any way since the vast majority of people simply do not care about the quality of their music and just want the cheapest and easiest way to get it (iTunes).

I think there will be not so many new 5.1 maniacs with the new universal drive:

1. Many people with a 5.1 low budget system will not be very enthusiastic, when they hear a 5.1 blu-ray. (IF they try!)

2. Universal is doing the whole marketing, if it would not EXIST!
Even bartMan is doing more marketing (in relation) for his product.

I despise Sony, these pricks try and steal every format they can for themselves, they remember cd and keep trying. Now they own this format. PLEASE someone step up and destroy these destructive bastards with a format for the people. BUT for multichannel enthusiasm, it is good for us to get a large label issuing 5.1 for the sake of 5.1. Even old titles, especially old titles at the start. Get a catalogue to put in a section of the store. Gotta start somewhere.

Are you sure? ;)
They all have SACD or DVD-Players.
The others ars new to the game.

Are there members in this forum only with a blu-ray-player?

Hmm, not all of us are handsome & rich Meisterburgers or Barons who live in Bavarian Castles.... ahem...

Bavaria.jpg

Although, I love my old Oppo 980H to play SACD or DVD-A, I recently paid $90 USD and bought a refurb BluRay which plays DTS-HD in all its high def glory.
If we expect 5.1 to take the next step into mainstream we can't expect the average listener to invest in a much more expensive multi-player like all of us
hard-core guys.

Although I am partial to DVD-Audio, I do think BluRay may be a uniting platform. Less than 100 dollars gets one in the 5.1 lossless hi-fi game! :)

P.S. Are the earlier 5.1 GBYBR releases out of print? I have the SACD and I love it to death. I'm still waiting for the unreleased EJ 5.1 mixes. Although now hearing Carl Palmer's lees than enthusiastic remarks about the ELP 5.1 project, I think I will be happy that 5.1 mixes like GBYBR are still coming out at all.

Spread the 5.1 word. (y)

@mdmost: Amen brother!

Last edited:
Hmm, not all of us are handsome & rich Meisterburgers or Barons who live in Bavarial Castles.... ahem...

View attachment 12799

Although, I love my old Oppo 980H to play SACD or DVD-A, I recently paid $90 USD and bought a refurb BluRay which plays DTS-HD in all its high def glory.
If we expect 5.1 to take the next step into mainstream we can't expect the average listener to invest in a much more expensive multi-player like all of us
hard-core guys.

Although I am partial to DVD-Audio, I do think BluRay may be a uniting platform. Less than 100 dollars gets one in the 5.1 lossless hi-fi game! :)

P.S. Are the earlier 5.1 GBYBR releases out of print? I have the SACD and I love it to death. I'm still waiting for the unreleased EJ 5.1 mixes. Although now hearing Carl Palmer's lees than enthusiastic remarks about the ELP 5.1 project, I think I will be happy that 5.1 mixes like GBYBR are still coming out at all.

Spread the 5.1 word. (y)

@mdmost: Amen brother!

Ah....my friend Dennis is here again :).

Ok...you are about to sell your other players? ;)

Before I was the 5.1 maniac I had a 200$ surround speaker set.
Only my stereo set-up was high end.
And only after upgrading my speakers to a castle-like experience I understood I was infected.

The usual comsumer with a budet set will never jump on the train if the speakers can't transport the fidelity.

So...only a blu-ray-player does not anything for anybody.
Therefore I don't think we are entering a new era of 5.1.

Just take the words of the french Universal freak.
He wouldn't have expected that 5.1 is in anyone's interest.
And the people that try to change it are only US.
No new 5.1 maniacs.

Prost with Sauerkraut:
image.jpg

Ah....my friend Dennis is here again :).

Ok...you are about to sell your other players? ;)

Before I was the 5.1 maniac I had a 200$ surround speaker set.
Only my stereo set-up was high end.
And only after upgrading my speakers to a castle-like experience I understood I was infected.

The usual comsumer with a budet set will never jump on the train if the speakers can't transport the fidelity.

So...only a blu-ray-player does not anything for anybody.
Therefore I don't think we are entering a new era of 5.1.

Just take the words of the french Universal freak.
He wouldn't have expected that 5.1 is in anyone's interest.
And the people that try to change it are only US.
No new 5.1 maniacs.

Prost with Sauerkraut:
View attachment 12800

Hello to my favorite beer drinking, baby-makin, heartbreakin, man from the land of great Beer!

I'm glad to hear your fought your way to the top of the world of hi-fi audio like me, I just have one question for you:

How much would it cost to buy that castle I posted a picture of? When I win the lottery I want to live there. :smokin

Hello to my favorite beer drinking, baby-makin, heartbreakin, man from the land of great Beer!

I'm glad to hear your fought your way to the top of the world of hi-fi audio like me, I just have one question for you:

How much would it cost to buy that castle I posted a picture of? When I win the lottery I want to live there. :smokin

I can answer: All Steely Dan albums in discrete high-rez 5.1 incl. AJA!

:)

pre-ordered mine already, have the DVD-A of this title. My thoughts are pricing will be lower and more titles may be released. My 3D Blu-Ray players audio can be set to 192khz. Like I said in a previous post I`m really only interested in surround mixes. Some movies are 7.1 now, hopefully we will see more interest in HQ sound. My first BR was Tom Petty
just picked up 4 more not counting the JT Aqualung set. Have both Nirvanas but 2.0 pure audio. Bob Marley legends 2.0 pure audio and the only 5.1 I picked up is Queen night at the opera BR. I have that in DVD-A also. The 2.0`s sound crisp clear etc. Great disc`s just not surround. I will buy what I think are must have`s only in stereo. If any new release in BR is 5.1 or higher I will own it.

Back