[sonicscoop.com] Music in 5.1 Dimensions: How the Best Surround Mixers Approach the Soundstage

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert van Diggele

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Here is a nice article on sonicscoop, with a few 5.1 mkxers talking about their approach on surround mixing,
http://www.sonicscoop.com/2014/01/2...best-surround-mixers-approach-the-soundstage/

With this in mind, we talked to a handful of the very best surround mixers in the business, including GRAMMY nominees and winners like Bob Clearmountain, Frank Filipetti, Jim Anderson, David Fridmann, Nick Davis, Ronald Prent, Morten Lindberg, Martin Walters, Keith O. Johnson and Greg Penny, about how to master the format.

Ronald Prent mentions that he mixes in 5.1 even when the artists do not ask for this. Would be intested to hear what he has in the can, I will give it a try and contact him to see if he is allowed to talk about this.

Thanks for the link. It's exciting to hear from sound engineers who are serious promoters of surround. I particularly enjoyed Frank Filipetti's discussion and his comparison between stereo and 5.1 where he says stereo is more about panning and proper EQ to give each instrument its own space, whereas surround allows instruments to pop out of their own space without EQ -- instead requiring "glue" to bring the sound together.

I also liked Nick Davis' retort to engineers who believe there has to be a precise sweet spot for listening to surround music. I've read Steve Hoffman's assertion that surround is impractical because you need 5 perfectly matched speakers and have to sit in the precise sweet spot or the image breaks down. Anyone who truly listens to surround knows that is nonsense. Davis neatly demolishes that particular anti-surround argument in a few short paragraphs. Great stuff :)

Back