Welcome to the STEREO SACD Forum!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please keep all STEREO SACD and DSD download discussion in this forum, and out of the Multichannel SACD section.

Brian will moderate this sub-forum, as he does the MC SACD forum. Any issues or problems that come up here can be PM'd to me or Brian.

Thanks! :yikes

:phones

I'm with you John - Multichannel all the way. Although through the years I have picked up some stereo SACDs and DVDA's that do sound great (although would be even better in surround.) Here are a few:

SACDs: Jennifer Warnes - The Well; Willy Nelson - Stardust; America - self titled
DVDAs: Neil Young - On the Beach and Greatest Hits

I'm with you John - Multichannel all the way. Although through the years I have picked up some stereo SACDs and DVDA's that do sound great (although would be even better in surround.) Here are a few:

SACDs: Jennifer Warnes - The Well; Willy Nelson - Stardust; America - self titled
DVDAs: Neil Young - On the Beach and Greatest Hits

There are some good Stereo SACDs - no doubt about that.
Of the three you mention, America is relatively new on Stereo SACD but The Well and Stardust are out of print on SACD disc.

Stardust remains with us in Direct Stream Digital (DSD) format as a Stereo DSD Download over on Super HiRez.
See http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/95105/Willie_Nelson-Stardust-DSD_Download

Anyone who posts in this forum should be banned. Except for me. :D

I'm already banned, but from that other forum. You know the one (redbook, vinyl).

I'm already banned, but from that other forum. You know the one (redbook, vinyl).

Please expound upon..........Snood loves banned from forums stories :dance:

Also Snood not gonna go nutz on Stereo SACDs..............but am maaaaaaaaybe interested in Counting Crows "August & Everything After" - Does anyone have this and can give some critique? (y)(n)

As a native, I can tell you with authority that Boston did not ban books very much but, rather, performers and films that didn't fall within a nebulous and absurd definition of 'decency,' whatever that was supposed to mean. In the end, in Beantown, if you wanted something--anything, legal or not--easy to find if you knew where to look and who to seek. Same with NYC, anywhere, really, but cities are where the action is. And probably (yikers!) where stereo SACD's can be found to this day. If you're into that sorta thing.

ED :)

Thanks, Jon. Nice to see a forum for stereo SACD. I'd like to hear most recordings in surround, and although I prefer 24bit formats (MLP, LPCM, etc.) over DSD there are some fine two-channel SACD discs out there. Sometimes -- well, most of the time -- we have to settle for what we can get.

Willie Nelson's aforementioned "Stardust" is gorgeous. Best version I've heard.

Stereo will always be the industry standard; whether we like it or not...
But the UGH! is regarding...SACD!!!!! YUCK!!!!! heck, give me PCM anytime...

Depends on the recording. When the source was recorded in Direct Stream Digital (DSD), I'm definitely looking for the SACD or DSD Download editions.

Another thing to consider is finer quality playback equipment only does SACD (and CD). For example the Marantz SA8005 and SA-14S1. Tempted to buy one of these.

Another thing to consider is finer quality playback equipment only does SACD (and CD). For example the Marantz SA8005 and SA-14S1. Tempted to buy one of these.

The Marantz SACD players are pretty nice. They feature Marantz' High Definition Analog Modules (HDAM) for analog playback.
Used to have a Marantz SA 8001 here for my office.

Attachments

• bannedagain.jpg
    bannedagain.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 288
Well I just got the latest stereo SACD, Jon Anderson's "Olias Of Sunhillow" with the DD Pro-Logic II set for Music! Some interesting bits pop out of the mix. As for the stereo I 'm not sure how much (if any) of an improvement it is over my Japanese import CD from a few years ago (which was better than my original CD copy). The level seems too low as well. But if you don't have a copy of the import CD its well worth it, and its comes with the full album booklet as per the LP, which is much more readable than the one that came with the Japanese CD.

Back