SONY Unveils First Wave of Blu-Ray Pure Audio Releases!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredblue

Surroundophile Extraordinaire
QQ Supporter
This has just been posted by hooperthom over at sa-cd.net:

Sony's up-coming Blu Ray releases. These are Pure Audio Blu Rays and has nothing to do with HFPA.

By the summer, Sony Music plans to release an additional 20 titles, which we hope will rely on multichannel tracks and stereo-sampled even higher (up to 192kHz / 24-bit, just like some suggestions label 2L, which also includes the packaging SACDs).

Below is a list of upcoming titles:

- Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue
- Michael Jackson - Thriller
- Billie Holiday - Lady In Satin
- Billy Joel - The Stranger
- Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison
- Janis Joplin - Pearl
- Carole King - Tapestry
- Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
- Herbie Hancock - Headhunters
- Dave Brubeck - Time Out
- Elvis Presley - Elvis Presley
- Lou Reed - Transformer
- The Clash - London Calling
- Cyndi Lauper - She's So Unusual
- Stevie Ray Vaughan And Double Trouble - Texas Flood
- Sly & The Family Stone - There's A Riot Goin 'On
- Pearl Jam - Ten
- James Taylor - JT
- Peter Tosh - Legalize It
- Patti Smith - Horses

I can't find the original post. what do they mean by 20 *additional* titles?

And Peter Tosh's "Legalize it" seems like an odd choice to me. Is that still a big seller?

I'm sure some members would love to get some of these titles in 5.1 but for crying out loud! How's about some new music - you know something that's been recorded in the last 20 years or so?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are a couple of articles re:HFPA online (one from Sydney, Australia from yesterday and one from France last month) which both mention Sony are to release 40 Pure Audio Blu-ray titles this year and Warner are set to make an announcement about their first Blu-ray Audio titles soon.

I'm sure some members would love to get some of these titles in 5.1 but for crying out loud! How's about some new music - you know something that's been recorded in the last 20 years or so?

true, true.. though I'll be happy to have genuine Hi-Rez Janis' Pearl, Patti's Horses, Lou's Transformer, Sly & The Family Stone.. and The Clash's London Calling..!! WOW!! :D

here are the ones I'd REALLY BUY if in MCH

- Billy Joel - The Stranger
- Janis Joplin - Pearl
- Herbie Hancock - Headhunters
- Dave Brubeck - Time Out
The Clash - London Calling
- Cyndi Lauper - She's So Unusual
- Stevie Ray Vaughan And Double Trouble - Texas Flood
- Sly & The Family Stone - There's A Riot Goin 'On
- Pearl Jam - Ten
- James Taylor - JT
- Peter Tosh - Legalize It

even if I HATE DSD masters,,,,can't we ll PCM along?

I'm up for all of those in MultiCh too Kap! (y) though I suspect these will be stereo, or mostly stereo.. wait til Warner get involved (I've been saying this for a wee while now).. I'm banking on them coming thru and being our surround saviours! you ain't seen nothin' yet! :p

I see one that's only 22 years old.

The only ones that might be MC are the existing ones that were MC SACDs like Folsom Prison and The Stranger.

The only ones that might be MC are the existing ones that were MC SACDs like Folsom Prison and The Stranger.

Let's hope so! If Sony don't "do an HFPA" and similarly start putting out stereo-only of stuff that was formerly on MC SACD (a la Diana Krall, Layla, pretty much all the Classical releases..).

With any luck Sony will have taken note of HFPA's slip up's with lack of surround, lack of source info, erratic mastering & sources used, etc.. and not make the same mistakes!

Frikken Sony is a slut! Now embracing 96/24-192 high resolution. In my mind it's still MLP! If-there were not females here and-I was not brought up to respect them, I would use rude language. One thing-they better be MC!!

Curious if these will also (needlessly!?) have multiple codec options of the same thing (PCM 2.0, Dolby True 2.0, DTS HD-MA 2.0)..like Universal's HFPA!? Will they have DSD 2.0 on them? HA! :ugham:

Curious if these will also (needlessly!?) have multiple codec options of the same thing (PCM 2.0, Dolby True 2.0, DTS HD-MA 2.0)..like Universal's HFPA!? Will they have DSD 2.0 on them? HA! :ugham:

Answering my own (piss-take) I mean question.. I guess if these are in the same mould as the Requiem Experience Pure Audio BD set, these releases will be 2.0 PCM (@24/96 +) and DTS-HD MA 5.1.

true, true.. though I'll be happy to have genuine Hi-Rez Janis' Pearl, Patti's Horses, Lou's Transformer, Sly & The Family Stone.. and The Clash's London Calling..!! WOW!! :D

Like I said, "I'm sure some members here would love to have these titles in 5.1..." These titles are all old news. Give me something new - how about some Bruno Mars, Daft Punk, Queens Of The Stone Age, Coheed & Cambria, Justin Timberlake - Hell, I'll even take some pure pop princess shit like Katy Perry or Lady Gaga - anything new to move this FORWARD! I love Miles Davis "Kind of Blue." Got it - everyway since Sunday. We complain about Sony sticking it to us and then when they stick it to us again we jump for joy - can't have it both ways.

Back