Listening to Now In SACD Stereo (or Mono)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thank you for the great info! (y)

v.interesting that We Will Rock You & Teo Torriate sound good (not so surprised by "The Game" album tracks, they have pretty much always sounded great) but the various/numerous (!) CD
masterings of News Of The World and A Day At The Races are themselves a mixed bag so I might just have to pick those two up on SACD first.. currently EMI Swindon pressing of NOTW and WG Sonopress of ADATR are my go to's for those albums on CD.. Jazz isn't a very well put together album in the first place (imho.. though about a third of the albums some of my all-time fave Queen) but again the original 80's EMI CD is my goto and makes the best of a mediocre job (the 1991 Hollywood Records, 1994 Digital Master Series & Japanese 2001 papersleeve all v.poor).

i guess i should clarify...GOOD...not spectacular! as i sort of implied...

Steely Dan - Countdown to Ecstasy SHM-SACD. Sounds quite excellent. It's been awhile since I had ordered one of these Japanese releases. I like the new packaging - kind of like a mini box set. (y)

I'm playing this right now: The Who Sell Out SHM SACD

For those of you who don't have it, too bad it's out of print. My favorite Who album easily.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UIGY-9092

Really?..hmm...I'm looking at the songlist and don't see much I'm familiar with...I'm a "hits" guy and don't really recognize most of these songs...of course there is a chance to recapture that glory now HERE

Really?..hmm...I'm looking at the songlist and don't see much I'm familiar with...I'm a "hits" guy and don't really recognize most of these songs...of course there is a chance to recapture that glory now

If you're a hits fan, I'd recommend the SHM-SACD of The Who: The Singles. The early songs are in Mono but as the album, and time line progresses, they turn to Stereo and the later hits sound great. Recommended!
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UIGY-9598

If you're a hits fan, I'd recommend the SHM-SACD of The Who: The Singles. The early songs are in Mono but as the album, and time line progresses, they turn to Stereo and the later hits sound great. Recommended!
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UIGY-9598

I've had horrible luck with the Rolling Stones and The Who getting discs that sound good with good content(hits); this disc you mentioned has gotten some bad reviews. It's taken from different sources and like you said some of the sources are mono(which if done right I'm not opposed to)...since I have the mono Beatles set I'm not biased against mono..

I've had horrible luck with the Rolling Stones and The Who getting discs that sound good with good content(hits); this disc you mentioned has gotten some bad reviews. It's taken from different sources and like you said some of the sources are mono(which if done right I'm not opposed to)...since I have the mono Beatles set I'm not biased against mono..

That's the challenge with collection discs. Some tracks will sound mediocre and others will sound good. On this SHM-SACD, the sound on the later hits in Stereo far outweighs any Mono or less than stellar sound on the earlier tracks on my system.

I wish they wouldn't have passed over Magic Bus as a SHM SACD release. This is one of my favorites.

Clint, what are your thoughts on the Paradise Theater SACD - worth it? Significant improvement over the original CD? I'm kinda on the fence on this one... Thanks!

Clint, what are your thoughts on the Paradise Theater SACD - worth it? Significant improvement over the original CD? I'm kinda on the fence on this one... Thanks!

It's been years since I heard that CD; so I can't give you a valid comparison....since I like Styx a lot I purchased both the SHM-SACD version and the Audio Fidelity SACD to see if there was any difference in quality between those 2....both these SACD's were taken from the same source...I really couldn't hear any difference in the versions.....neither one had that heavy compression that I hate....there is a small amount of brightness in the instruments when the volume is cranked up....but not that ear bleeding effect that some discs have....although SHM-SACD's do seem to improve the more they are played....

If you like Styx I feel at THIS PRICE POINT it's a worthwhile purchase...on a sidenote Snowblind is one of my favorite Styx songs...

AF Stereo SACD of Renaissance's "Scheherazade And Other Stories" , for a 40 year old album not bad, but it came alive when I listened via DD Pro II Music!

I got that one too to supplement my vinyl copy. It sounds great in synthesized surround

Rod Stewart-Every Picture Tells a Story-I promised myself I wouldn't comment on this SHM disc until it was broken in..but it's such a fun disc...I hadn't heard Rod for a long time and this one is very well done...I haven't heard a better version of Maggie May anywhere...just outstanding...it shows it's age and wouldn't compete with the top hi rez discs but it's probably as good as it will ever be done...if you like Rod The Mod this one is a no brainer...

Back