Rarities in Multichannel SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Multichannel music fans have many rarities in their music collections. Some of these were issued in the Multichannel Super Audio CD (SACD) format.
This thread will highlight and discuss these SACDs and may inspire some purchases, if you can find the SACDs still out there !

Starting off this new thread, I've selected a colorful but rare Multichannel SACD from Europe. It features Belgian singer Helmut Lotti, who performs Swing, Pop and Classical Music and apparently started his career as an Elvis Impersonator!

This Hybrid Multichannel SACD features Lotti's Tribute to Elvis with 19 songs from the Presley catalog, along with songs by B.J. Thomas, the Righteous Brothers and a few of his own backed by a large orchestra and a very immersive Surround Sound mix.

The album was recorded and mixed at the famed Galaxy Studios in Mol, Belgium (the home of many Multichannel SACD recordings) by Wilfried Van Baelen. Van Baelen is the founder and co-owner of Galaxy Studios, husband of singer Dana Winner and inventor of the recent Auro-3D, 11.1 and 13.1 Channel Cinema Sound System that competes with Dolby Atmos.

My Tribute to the King - 300.jpg
My Tribute to the King - Helmut Lotti (EMI Electrola Hybrid Multichannel SACD 7243-5-41475-2-4)

Interested to see where this Goes...............do they have to be good??

Was Helmut's any good............not my cup of tea.

Are we talking really obscure SACDs?

Interested to see where this Goes...............do they have to be good??

Was Helmut's any good............not my cup of tea.

Are we talking really obscure SACDs?

The idea is to talk about Multichannel SACDs that are not as well known as the major artist SACDs and in some cases hard to find.
We'll see what gets posted by the QQ members - it should be interesting.

Helmut's Elvis Tribute Multichannel SACD has an excellent Surround Sound mix and production values. He definitely goes for it in his performance of the Elvis classics.
As to whether it is a "good" album, it's a classic case of what you like in music. Some will find it over the top and others may find it quite entertaining.

I played a youtube video of his Elvis thing. I thought it was OK enough to play all the way through. I probably liked the background vocals and orchestra better than the lead singer. Suspicious Minds was fantastic. If the SACD pops up at the local FYE I'd definitely buy it unless they had some sort of crazy price on it. It's probably no more likely to be found than that Scorpions disc.

I played a youtube video of his Elvis thing. I thought it was OK enough to play all the way through. I probably liked the background vocals and orchestra better than the lead singer. Suspicious Minds was fantastic. If the SACD pops up at the local FYE I'd definitely buy it unless they had some sort of crazy price on it. It's probably no more likely to be found than that Scorpions disc.

It was released in Europe - so you'd be most likely to find it on say Amazon.de or Amazon.co.uk vs a local store in the US. The orchestra and backing is very impressive and it's an immersive surround mix. His Elvis hits medley at the end of the album even has a xylophone playing on one of the Elvis favorites! So it has some things going for it from a Surround perspective.

I like this one - no so well known - I picked this up a while back at normal retail prices, but its now getting harder to find... :(:

David Bridie – Act Of Free Choice

bridie-450-x-450.jpg

It was released in Europe - so you'd be most likely to find it on say Amazon.de or Amazon.co.uk vs a local store in the US. The orchestra and backing is very impressive and it's an immersive surround mix. His Elvis hits medley at the end of the album even has a xylophone playing on one of the Elvis favorites! So it has some things going for it from a Surround perspective.

I got both of Helmut's SACDs from Amazon.de, both excellent surround mixes (y)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 374
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 367
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 365
Here's a rare one.. Sadly I cannot get it to play in MultiChannel on any of my players..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 385
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 381
Two of my all-time fave SACDs (the surround mixes are incredible)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 367
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 376
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 359
Another good one:
Mostly Autumn - Passengers:
IMG_1170 (600 x 450).jpg

Also available (as shown) on DVD with 5.1 DTS...

Back