Rarities in Multichannel SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've have a copy of guitarist Allan Holdsworth's All Night Wrong on the original Single Layer Multichannel SACD. (The SACD was later reissued in Japan on a Hybrid Multichannel SACD.)

This is an excellent direct to DSD live Jazz Fusion recording. I wouldn't go as far as saying it is the best live recording I've heard (as one sa-cd.net reviewer said), but it is right up there.

There is a minimum of crowd noise, but it does pop up from time to time to remind you this is a live recording. The Surround Channels primarily have cymbals and venue ambiance in them. So it's not a super immersive surround mix, but it's very appropriate for the music. If you can find this SACD and like the music, definitely get it. Highly recommended!

View attachment 13202
All Night Wrong - Allan Holdsworth (Sony Music Entertainment Japan, Single Layer Multichannel SACD, XSGP 1)

Thanks - I have some of his early stuff on Gong, UK, & Bruford and have always liked his distinctive sound.

Thanks - I have some of his early stuff on Gong, UK, & Bruford and have always liked his distinctive sound.

I wasn't familiar with Allan Hollingsworth before picking up this Multichannel SACD. But it's a very good album musically. He's a talented guitarist with an excellent band - definitely in the jazz fusion zone.
A recommended Multichannel SACD if fans can find it.

I don't think so (not by me anyway ;)) good call! :)

I've actually got this one and it's not too bad at all - not the most aggressive mix I have heard but by no means the curse of Big Stereo either.
It does make the DualDisc version sound like a bad joke though, it has to be said.

I wasn't familiar with Allan Hollingsworth before picking up this Multichannel SACD. But it's a very good album musically. He's a talented guitarist with an excellent band - definitely in the jazz fusion zone.
A recommended Multichannel SACD if fans can find it.

IIRC I remember EVH raving on about Holdsworth in an interview in a guitar mag late 80's/early 90's, so I went to check him out.. solo albums spotty content-wise, often spellbinding performance-wise imho.

That is a good one. It is a Multichannel SACD by a Rock Band in Finland. They do 60's-style rock and pop that are a mix of self-written and well-known songs.
The group doesn't take itself too seriously. For example, their version of "In The Mood" is called "In The Nude" !

I haven't listened to it in awhile, but enjoyed it back in the High Fidelity Review days. Reminds me I need to bring it back to the SACD player for a listen. :)
See my write-up on the Hurriganes Multichannel SACD on the newly revived HFR web site at http://www.highfidelityreview.com/hurriganes-roadrunner-rock-album-in-sacd.html

When it comes to rarities, one of the more interesting Hybrid Multichannel SACDs is "Hey Bulldog" on the MDG label from Germany. Billed as a MDG Special Release (most of MDG's SACDs feature Classical Music), this album features a number of favorites sung by a Beatles cover band from Germany.

It also has sound effects, sounds of nature and surround sound test tones - along with one song recorded in MDG's 2+2+2 Sound that uses the 4 Corner Speakers plus 2 Overhead Speakers.

Interestingly, the 2+2+2 version of Nowhere Man sounds much more interesting than the 5.1 version on the SACD, even when played back without the two overhead speakers - (Overhead Left and Overhead Right) on a 5.1 system. If you can find this one on eBay ($19.99 as a New SACD, Buy It Now) or Amazon (Used), it's a lot of fun!

Hey Bulldog - 300.jpg
Hey Bulldog - The Sugar Plum Fairies (MDG Special MDG 906 1340-6)
New on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sugar-Plum-...-Channel-Hybrid-SACD-Beatles-CD-/121281501842
Used on Amazon.Co.Uk: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000BNDABC

That is a good one. It is a Multichannel SACD by a Rock Band in Finland. They do 60's-style rock and pop that are a mix of self-written and well-known songs.
The group doesn't take itself too seriously. For example, their version of "In The Mood" is called "In The Nude" !

I haven't listened to it in awhile, but enjoyed it back in the High Fidelity Review days. Reminds me I need to bring it back to the SACD player for a listen. :)
See my write-up on the Hurriganes Multichannel SACD on the newly revived HFR web site at http://www.highfidelityreview.com/hurriganes-roadrunner-rock-album-in-sacd.html

I cannot find the Hurriganes SACD anywhere..!! (and believe me I have searched high and low!!!!) :(

I cannot find the Hurriganes SACD anywhere..!! (and believe me I have searched high and low!!!!) :(

That one is pretty rare. It's certainly the only Rock SACD from Finland that I am aware of!

Which is one of the reasons I bought it when it first came out. I was curious what it would be like.
And it turned out quite well. The SACD is very entertaining.

rare or obscure sacd, depends on the genre. It took me 2 years to get Frankie goes to Hollywood Rage Hard. Some of the titles here, for example the E.T. Disc would be obscure who the hell would spend good money on that title. Other titles I consider rare hard to find Toys in the Attic, Johnny Mathis Christmas sacd, Thriller. Etc.

rare or obscure sacd, depends on the genre. It took me 2 years to get Frankie goes to Hollywood Rage Hard. Some of the titles here, for example the E.T. Disc would be obscure who the hell would spend good money on that title. Other titles I consider rare hard to find Toys in the Attic, Johnny Mathis Christmas sacd, Thriller. Etc.

For me, rarities means hard to find. Along the way, I have discovered some great deals on out of print Multichannel SACDs which I have highlighted in this forum in case some QQ viewers may have missed those.

On your list of Multichannel SACDs: Toys In The Attic is enjoyable (love the Cowbell in the Rear in Walk This Way) and the Johnny Mathis Christmas SACD tops the Barry Manilow Christmas SACD to my ears. Even though they share the same producer, engineer and even a song.

As to the Stereo SACD of Thriller - yes very hard to find at a reasonable price today. But the Stereo DSD Download of Thriller is topping the sales charts at Super HiRez/Acoustic Sounds these days for $24.98. A deal compared to what the SACD would cost now.

I've got to wonder what the source is for that Thriller download. Do you suppose AS just made it themselves from a SACD? If the files came from Sony you'd think Sony would just offer it on their own site and for way less money.

I've got to wonder what the source is for that Thriller download. Do you suppose AS just made it themselves from a SACD? If the files came from Sony you'd think Sony would just offer it on their own site and for way less money.

The Thriller Stereo DSD Download came from the DSD Edit Master Tape - the same one used to make the Thriller SACD that was mastered by Bernie Grundman.

Why doesn't Sony sell DSD Downloads themselves like Channel Classics and PentaTone do? Well, they certainly could.
Ditto for Universal Music. They could offer downloads for sale as well.

Or they could license their tapes to others to sell as SACDs and Downloads. Which appears to be the preference of the major record companies these days.

A recent PS3 rip confirms that despite the writings of the cover the disc doesn't contain SACD (DSD) stereo layer. Does anyone know why?

EDIT

Are you aware of other multichannel SACD albums lacking stereo DSD layer?

There is a Ray Charles Concert Hybrid Multichannel SACD that does not include a Stereo DSD track.
See http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/2744

I'll have to check the T2 Hybrid Multichannel SACD to see if that's the case there as well.

A recent PS3 rip confirms that despite the writings of the cover the disc doesn't contain SACD (DSD) stereo layer. Does anyone know why?

EDIT

Are you aware of other multichannel SACD albums lacking stereo DSD layer?

The MultiCh SACD of the "Moffou" album by Salif Keita has no Stereo SACD layer IIRC :)

Rage Hard - The Sonic Collection - Frankie Goes to Hollywood Currently not available on EBay. Amazon starts at $400 Canadian. When it was in print, I bought this from a private party in the UK. I never saw it from any US E Retailer or store. IMHO, it's essential.
1500003.jpg

Back