Rarities in Stereo (and Mono) SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, those would be pretty rare. Future Shock was reissued in Japan as a Hybrid SACD, so that version is a little easier to get.
I have the Caravanserai SACD from Japan. Excellent !

How does the Japan Caravanserai compare to the MFSL - if you have that?

I'll have to check and see if I have the MFSL SACD.

I have the MFSL and not the Japanese (SME) release....

After some checking online, most people seem to prefer the Japanese (SME) version... might have to do a comparison..

Most of the time I listen to a SQ LP rip fed through my surround master..

FYI - The MFSL SACD does sounds actually quite good in QS mode - but that's another Forum.....

I also have the Japan Caravanserai SACD. Although I've owned six copies of Caravanserai, this has the best fidelity. I haven't bought the Mofi. In spite of having the Q8, the SQ is still my preferred way to listen.

I bought the Mofi Milestones. After A/B'ing it to my Japan SACD, I got rid of the Mofi.

Most of the Sony Japan SACD's I own are in the thick plastic holders. More of them are Miles than anyone else.

front.jpg

Promo-only Kinks sampler, not listed on sa-cd.net
The+Kinks+-+40th+Anniversary+SACD+Sampler+-+SA-CD-313063.jpg

The Sony Japan SACD of Caravanserai is the one I always play. As I recall it tops the MFSL version sound wise. Probably why I haven't played the MFSL version in awhile... :)

Sarah is a female pop singer in Belgium that some compare to Sheryl Crow. Her Stereo SACD titled Starlite Diner features a host of pop songs including an interesting version of the Nancy Sinatra hit "These Boots Are Made for Walking".
This SACD was hard to find in Europe even when it was first issued. But it's worth nabbing if you do see it pop up on eBay.

Sarah - Starlite Diner - 300.jpg
Starlite Diner - Sarah (Hybrid Stereo SACD, EMI Belgium 7243-531112-2)

Any of the below single-layer stereo Hong Kong Warner Music SACDs from 2002.

All of the above titles, which also included a DSD-remastered CD containing the tracks as the SACD, now commanded over US$100.00 on various auction sites.

There are rumors that HK Warner Music may be re-releasing 5 of these titles on hybrid SACD next month.

There are rumors that HK Warner Music may be re-releasing 5 of these titles on hybrid SACD next month.

That would be very consistent with what we're seeing with the Jeff Beck "Blow by Blow" SACD reissue by Sony Japan. A Single Layer SACD returning now as a reissued Hybrid SACD.

Jimmy Reed at Carnegie Hall SACD
A Steve Hoffman project.
Currently going for $90 - $170
Like some other "live" albums of the day, it was recorded in the studio within days of his Carnegie appearance.
A great album, never the less.
I only saw this once in a store, Tower Records, and I grabbed it. Glad I did.
51-e2ZZ1PBL._SL500_SX300_.jpg

Jimmy Reed at Carnegie Hall SACD
A Steve Hoffman project.
Currently going for $90 - $170
Like some other "live" albums of the day, it was recorded in the studio within days of his Carnegie appearance.
A great album, never the less.
I only saw this once in a store, Tower Records, and I grabbed it. Glad I did.
View attachment 13316

That's a good SACD. Of course, you really can't go wrong with any of the Audio Fidelity SACDs remastered by Steve Hoffman.
A good idea to buy them when you see them!

A Stereo SACD rarity worth mentioning is Death Cab for Cutie's album "Transatlanticism". Released on the Barsuk label before the group joined Atlantic Records, it has 11 songs from the Alternate Rock band.
The sonics on the album vary - some songs benefit from SACD release while others sound compressed. Rock fans may want to check this one out - some SACD copies are still available new via Amazon for around $40 plus shipping.

folder - 300.jpg
Transatlanticism - Death Cab for Cutie (Hybrid Stereo SACD, Barsuk Records BARK 32)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000DD57V

Pop Condition by Spitball, a European hard rock band, is probably best known as Sony Music's first Hybrid Super Audio CD release.

It isn't a sonic standout when compared to many SACDs, but it has some imaginative panning and a mix by Ronald Prent at Galaxy Studios.
Tracks 3 (Modified) and 11 (Parasite) are effective in synthesized 4 Channel Surround when used with the Surround Master.

Pop Condition - 325.jpg
Pop Condition - Spitball (Hybrid Stereo SACD, Columbia/Sony Music Netherlands COL 498046-0)

Alto features Joe Beck on alto guitar and Ali Ryerson on flute. DMP Records says the album is "the first commercial recording to utilize Direct Stream Digital (DSD) technology."
The album was recorded by DMP Records owner Tom Jung.

It's a very mellow album with fine sonics to be sure. There are a few copies of this SACD still around, usually starting at $60 - with eBay showing a used one for just over $15 at the moment.

Alto - 325.jpg
Alto - Joe Beck & Ali Ryerson (Hybrid Stereo SACD, DMP Records, DMP-06)

Alto features Joe Beck on alto guitar and Ali Ryerson on flute. DMP Records says the album is "the first commercial recording to utilize Direct Stream Digital (DSD) technology."
The album was recorded by DMP Records owner Tom Jung.

It's a very mellow album with fine sonics to be sure. There are a few copies of this SACD still around, usually starting at $60 - with eBay showing a used one for just over $15 at the moment.

View attachment 13767
Alto - Joe Beck & Ali Ryerson (Hybrid Stereo SACD, DMP Records, DMP-06)

It's a lovely, quiet recording. Joe & Ali performed quite often in the few music venues in my local area. Joe had (he passed away several yrs ago) quite the storied career and played with everyone from Sinatra to Miles. The Alto guitar was his own home made instrument which allowed him to play bass & guitar simultaneously. Joe can also be seen as a featured player on the Jazz Central presents Kenny Rankin DVD. Alto is next in the listening queue. Thanks!

It's a lovely, quiet recording. Joe & Ali performed quite often in the few music venues in my local area. Joe had (he passed away several yrs ago) quite the storied career and played with everyone from Sinatra to Miles. The Alto guitar was his own home made instrument which allowed him to play bass & guitar simultaneously. Joe can also be seen as a featured player on the Jazz Central presents Kenny Rankin DVD. Alto is next in the listening queue. Thanks!

I never saw Joe Beck in concert. But I love the way his alto guitar/bass sort of floats on his SACDs. Nice and mellow. And now that Amazon.Com is selling his Multichannel SACD "Django" for $10 with shipping, quite a deal !
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?19004-Django-Multichannel-SACD-for-10-Shipped

DMP Records issued a Hybrid Stereo SACD of the album Salamander Pie as one of its early SACDs.
It is one of only two DMP Records SACDs that does not come from a DSD master (this recording was made on a Mitsubishi Digital Recorder).

The album features humorist and jazz bass player Jay Leonhart with Mike Renzi on piano singing 17 original and funny songs in a jazzy style.
Pretty unique - and rare. Copies of this SACD start at $70 used over at Amazon.Co.Uk (UK) and go up from there.

It's a bit different musically. But you may get a kick out of it, if you find a copy at a reasonable price.

Salamander Pie SACD - 325.jpg
Salamander Pie - Jay Leonhart (DMP Records, Hybrid Stereo SACD, SACD-07)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0000500CV

The Hawk Flies High - Coleman Hawkins mono SACD I had preordered this. It is a wonderful performance with great sonics. I was shocked a couple minutes ago when I clicked on it in my collection http://www.sa-cd.net/library/7517/1 and found it was worth $400 on Amazon, $709 on Amazon.ca. :yikes http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/4004

View attachment 14263

amazon has silly prices from sellers when it's out of print, ebay has several at the moment from about $80 - $150 USD

Back