Rarities in Stereo (and Mono) SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Music fans have many rarities in their music collections. Some of these were issued as Stereo or Mono Super Audio CDs (SACD).
This thread will highlight and discuss these SACDs and may inspire some purchases, if you can find the SACDs still out there !

A rarity in Stereo SACD to watch for is the album New York City by the Peter Malik Group featuring Norah Jones.

It was recorded before her breakthough album on Blue Note "Come Away With Me". This SACD was released by High Note Records in Taiwan, so it's tough to find in the U.S. and Europe.
But the performances here make it worth looking for. Here's my write-up of the album on HFR back in the day: http://www.highfidelityreview.com/h...ases-norah-jones-album-in-super-audio-cd.html

New York City - 300.jpg
New York City by Peter Malik Group featuring Norah Jones (High Note Records Taiwan Hybrid Stereo SACD HN251SACD)

Another Stereo SACD rarity is the album Masterpiece Guitars by Martin Taylor and Steve Howe.

Taylor also has several guitar albums in SACD format from Linn Records. But this one is very hard to find on SACD, even though the CD edition is still in print. If you find a copy of this SACD, grab it. The playing - and the sound is excellent !

Masterpiece Guitars.jpg
Masterpiece Guitars - Martin Taylor & Steve Howe (Sony Japan SIGP-38)

Any of the below single-layer stereo Hong Kong Warner Music SACDs from 2002.

First 3 titles were remastered in Japan with the SACDs made by Sony DADC in Terre Haute, Indiana:

586097692_1271e1b900_n.jpg
586098074_4b99a08d53_n.jpg
586096420_3f7b9914b6_n.jpg

The second batch of single-layer stereo SACDs from HK Warner Music were still made by Sony DADC in the US, but now featured remastering at the now-closed New York Sony Studios by famed mastering engineer, Vic Anesini:

586099206_b1bb6870f4_n.jpg
586097340_51496768a9_n.jpg

586095612_3e7a14ac37_n.jpg
586088466_13de04742e_n.jpg

tsaichinwarnerback_sacd.jpg

All of the above titles, which also included a DSD-remastered CD containing the tracks as the SACD, now commanded over US$100.00 on various auction sites.

A 100 bucks? - If I were in a store, and notice those titles, I wouldn't buy them. They look like containing Music not worth being listened to.

-Kristian

I suppose the FIM "River of Sorrow" SACD is hard to find and up there in value as well....

4792251229_59fae9cef1.jpg

Here's an early SACD of the Living Stereo recording of "Gershwin - Rhapsody in Blue" by Earl Wild/Authur Fiedler/Boston Pops Orchestra. Released before Sony's official Living Stereo SACD series, this was an EU-pressed SACD and it is not listed at sa-cd.net (therefore, the upcoming Analogue Productions SACD version would be the 3rd time this title has been released on SACD). I have yet to see one come up for sale on various auction sites.

3903132314_4906a361fe.jpg

A chance encounter got me the below Sam Cooke SACD sampler. Again, this titles is not listed at sa-cd.net....

11519677585_7e20bfb170.jpg

Any of the below single-layer stereo Hong Kong Warner Music SACDs from 2002.

First 3 titles were remastered in Japan with the SACDs made by Sony DADC in Terre Haute, Indiana:

The second batch of single-layer stereo SACDs from HK Warner Music were still made by Sony DADC in the US, but now featured remastering at the now-closed New York Sony Studios by famed mastering engineer, Vic Anesini:

All of the above titles, which also included a DSD-remastered CD containing the tracks as the SACD, now commanded over US$100.00 on various auction sites.

I remember the Warner SACDs from Hong Kong. Warner Music in the U.S. denied they existed at first - until shown the actual cover art from Soundboy's collection!
Crazy... :)

Wasn't there a Madonna Immaculate Collection SACD very early on? Maybe it was never released. Would have been a Hong Kong one probably.

Wasn't there a Madonna Immaculate Collection SACD very early on? Maybe it was never released. Would have been a Hong Kong one probably.

Hmm, I don't remember a Madonna SACD release. Since Madonna was on Warner Music, it would have to be in Hong Kong or Europe if it existed.

HK Warner Music made no attempt to release SACDs of western titles. If a Madonna SACD was indeed released, it would've been more rare than the Aerosmith "Rocks" SACD....

IMG_0115.jpg

At those prices - and the ones on Amazon.Com - it qualifies! How is the music on the SACD? Not familiar with this one.

I do like it.
All vocals in English, recorded in New York.
First half is small combo swing jazz with vocals. Second half is soul. They even get funky on 'Time of the Season'.
single layer sacd stereo, no CD layer.

I also have the Sam Cooke sacd shown earlier in the thread ( it says promo only sacd on the back cover )
It has a couple songs from the SAR Records Story sacd that was never released. So has a couple 'rare' sacd songs.

vinylguy4

Last edited:
What about the early SME disc with the thick plastic holders? Are they rare? I have Santana's Caravanserai and a Herbie Hancock, I think Future Shock. They are from the late nineties.

-Kristian

What about the early SME disc with the thick plastic holders? Are they rare? I have Santana's Caravanserai and a Herbie Hancock, I think Future Shock. They are from the late nineties.

-Kristian

Yes, those would be pretty rare. Future Shock was reissued in Japan as a Hybrid SACD, so that version is a little easier to get.
I have the Caravanserai SACD from Japan. Excellent !

Back