Nine Inch Nails "The Fragile" in 5.1?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like he has a "special edition" release in mind. from the article: "40-or-so demos that are from that era that didn’t turn into songs, that range from sound effects to full-fledged pieces of music, and I kind of feel like – something should happen with that". I wonder how much that will add to the cost in order to get the the full-album 5.1 mix.

Whenever I look through my NIN albums to pick a 5.1 mix to listen to I always wish this album was a choice. Needless to say I really hope this becomes a reality sometime soon.

The first time I saw Trent mention The Fragile was back in 2005 when he was answering questions people were asking through one of the versions of the NIN website. That site is long gone but here's a snap of the question:

Questions10.gif

Pretty much nothing after that until March 2009 Twitter: And... we've begun work on the ULTIMATE reissue coming 2010. #thefragile

In October 2010 Alan Moulder mentioned that he had begun work on the 5.1 mixing of The Fragile and that it was great to revisit an old friend. He did a Q&A on ProSoundWeb and most of the answers are summarized in this link due to the PSW forums being a little harder to navigate, goes into detail on some of the recording techniques used for Downward Spiral and Fragile -http://bamboopuncturingthisskin.blogspot.ca/2011/07/alan-moulder-about-nin.html (original Q&A here - http://repforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,34538.15.html)

Then in March 2011 Trent tweets "Sitting with Alan Moulder mixing The Wretched in 5.1. Lots of memories... " - more teasing!

He then did a Q&A on reddit in November 2012 and we got this from it:

The 5.1 mixes are done and sound amazing. Alan was the only person who could have possibly done it, and he did not disappoint. There are a couple other elements involved that we want to get right before we put this into production. These involve packaging and additional content. Patience, my friends.
Trent Reznor
Nov.13.2012

That brings us to the recent interview with David Farrier in New Zealand, the original interview is here - http://www.3news.co.nz/Trent-Reznor...8/articleID/332710/Default.aspx#ixzz2th0grHQa

What do we think, early 2015? :)

So, looks like The Fragile is finally getting its "definitive" edition that Trent has been alluding to for all these years... on vinyl.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/music/3418146/proof-new-nine-inch-nails-album-way/

...IN ADDITION, A VERY SPECIAL LIMITED EDITION OF THE FRAGILE IS NOW AVAILABLE FOR PREORDER IN THE NIN STORE. THIS UNIQUE VERSION OF NIN’S CLASSIC RECORD WAS CREATED BY TRENT REZNOR AND ATTICUS ROSS AND FEATURES 37 INSTRUMENTAL, ALTERNATE AND UNRELEASED TRACKS, MANY OF WHICH HAVE NEVER BEEN HEARD BEFORE ANYWHERE.

Said Reznor: ” ‘The Fragile’ occupies a very interesting and intimate place in my heart. I was going through a turbulent time in my life when making it and revisiting it has become a form of therapy for me. As an experiment, I removed all the vocals from the record and found it became a truly changed experience that worked on a different yet compelling level. The Fragile: Deviations 1 represents Atticus and I embellishing the original record with a number of tracks from those sessions we didn’t use before. The result paints a complimentary but different picture we wanted to share.”

THE FRAGILE: DEVIATIONS 1 WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE ON ANY DIGITAL SERVICES AND ONLY AVAILABLE IN THIS FORMAT WHILE THIS LIMITED RUN LASTS.

...LASTLY, TRENT REZNOR AND NIN ART DIRECTOR JOHN CRAWFORD SET OUT TO MAKE THE “DEFINITIVE EDITIONS” OF ALL THE MAIN NIN RELEASES ON VINYL.

“We want to present the catalog as it was intended to be, with no compromises. That means a careful remastering of the audio from the original sources, a painstaking recreation of the artwork, pristine materials, some surprises and an insane attention to detail that you probably won’t notice…but it matters to us. No extra bullshit and gimmicks – the ‘real’ records in their truest form.”

THE FIRST THREE DEFINITIVE EDITIONS (BROKEN, THE DOWNWARD SPIRAL AND THE FRAGILE) ARE AVAILABLE FOR PREORDER NOW IN THE NIN STORE (SHIPPING SPRING ’17), WITH THE REST TO FOLLOW IN ’17.

I think it's fair to assume that at this point, The Fragile 5.1 isn't happening...

I will assume that it is, but only when they're good and ready to release it. I really don't think they would take all that time to mix it and then scrap the project entirely. :)

Oh yeah? There's plenty of surround mixes that have been created over the years only to then have their releases be scrapped… (n)

Oh yeah? There's plenty of surround mixes that have been created over the years only to then have their releases be scrapped… (n)

Maybe they're going to judge the sales of the records to determine if there is enough interest to release the surround version, which would be a horrible idea since most people who buy one format probably don't buy the other, so since that's such a stupid idea, I'll bet that's it. ;)

I would really love to have this album in surround though.

"an insane attention to detail that you probably won’t notice…but it matters to us"

None of which you've mentioned. Who cut the lacquers? What are the "sources"? Where is the record being pressed? Is the mastering fully dynamic or loudness-wars-slammed like everything else you've released in stereo since the 90s including the "audiophile" mastering of Hesitation Marks? Which one of these records was recorded, mixed and mastered all in the analogue realm? If none of them, how can vinyl be the "proper" way to experience them?

Last edited:
have read somewhere that this is going to be an instrumental only release, no vocals, so it's not attractive to me

I thought Trent and Atticus’ scores for Gone Girl and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo were much better suited to the material than The Social Network, but I really loved the track Hand Covers Bruise and enjoy it in surround as I got the BD-A for around $20 when it first came out.

Don't know why he’s mentioning Ultra BD when BD is all that’s needed for Atmos,really hope it’s a physical release though because streaming Atmos is usually DD+/Atmos (lossy) and I would rather own the product and have TrueHD/Atmos (lossless).

Back