Technics SH 3434 sans its power transformer

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quad4Ever

I have what has been described here on the Internet, the SUPER rarest Technics scope of all, an SH 3434 IMG_4661.jpg Visual Control Center. Problem is, there isn't a power transformer inside to make it function! Someone desecrated it (extremely carefully I might add) literally ripping one of its hearts out (the other obviously being the scope tube) how dare they do that to such a rare item, what knuckleheads. Now, being an electronics buff/hobbyist since the early 70's, can I safely assume that taking one out of a SH 3433 that I can find and use for parts will hopefully resurrect it to its former glory? Would they they possibly have the same exact power tranny specs? I would love to hear from somebody about the quandary I'm in with this very excellent piece of quad history. I've NEVER seen one for sale on ebay since joining in 2001. I'm searching my picture files today for a picture I took of a copy of the schematic that I found folded up inside of it with a bunch of notes written all over. Will post a pic when I finally find it, have loads of pics to go through on this.

Super Bumper Snood :banana:

Peeps will be replying sooooooon :)

Ok here it is....the not so long awaited pic of the disembowelment and the tranny/scope section of a SH 3433 schematic, I'm still searching for my actual paper copy as I'm sure it will be needed. By all appearances, it looks like someone did some serious head scratching with this thing, ay??IMG_4781.jpgIMG_4782.jpg010 125.jpg Now for the really big question?.....Will a 3433's SLTA5L7-A be able to run my 3434 without any problem?? I've never saw any type of paper out there for a 3434, much less the units themselves so guys, gals, anyone out there!!....SOS, Mayday, etc, etc.:yikes

Last edited:
Super Bumper Snood :banana:

Peeps will be replying sooooooon :)

Hi Snood! Hope Peeps starts a peepin' soon. I'm feeling like finding anything positive about this piece, the rarity factor is well excluded at this point, will be something akin to finding the proverbial needle in a haystack. Where are you Peeps?

Well, I'm here but I can't directly help with the Technics since I don't have either model. I DO have an SH-400 demodulator but I guess that does little good.

What we need is somebody who actually has an SH-3434 and can look at the tranny and tube to see if the part numbers are on them and match up with those in an SH-3433.

Or we need somebody who has documentation on the SH-3434 (and there HAS to be documentation somewhere) and could compare with that of the SH-3433.

It would be completely logical to assume Technics would have used the same tranny and scope tube in both models but it is always a dangerous thing to use that kind of logic when it comes to electronics because, after all, there were electronic engineers involved. :D

Also, it may take a while for some members, who might not check in here all that often, to see this. Sometimes it seems there is coincidence with the same people who have been involved with the more esoteric quad stuff.

Doug

IMG_4794.jpgIMG_4792.jpgIMG_4790.jpg
Well, I'm here but I can't directly help with the Technics since I don't have either model. I DO have an SH-400 demodulator but I guess that does little good.

What we need is somebody who actually has an SH-3434 and can look at the tranny and tube to see if the part numbers are on them and match up with those in an SH-3433.

Or we need somebody who has documentation on the SH-3434 (and there HAS to be documentation somewhere) and could compare with that of the SH-3433.

It would be completely logical to assume Technics would have used the same tranny and scope tube in both models but it is always a dangerous thing to use that kind of logic when it comes to electronics because, after all, there were electronic engineers involved. :D

Also, it may take a while for some members, who might not check in here all that often, to see this. Sometimes it seems there is coincidence with the same people who have been involved with the more esoteric quad stuff.

Doug

Hi Doug, Good day. Talk about esoteric with this thing, I've done more than a few Google searches to find ANY shred of useful information I can track down, always coming up with nada. Very little can be found on or about these scopes, (except that they are rare, ya think?) I'm nearing exhaustion, but I'm still holding on to a glimmer of hope by airing it out. Everyone I've spoken to has been very supportive, thank you. I've found my REAL paper on a 3433, the actual copy I found inside the 3434 continues to elude. Wiring nomenclature looks pretty straightforward, Red and Black to the primary, Blue, Brown, Green, Orange, and Yellow to secondary. Green quite the hottie at 440 volts. Something just came to mind. I remember a fellow ebayer who lives fairly close by, had quite a lot of vintage audio paper, entire filing cabinets full. An SQD 2020 he was selling found itself a new home here, just left a phone message for him. Who knows? We'll see.

Heya, I have a 3433. Seeing as they are rare too, wouldn't it be hard to find a transformer donor even if it is the same? Also I would think that its likely that yours may have other problems if someone ripped out the transformer.

I am not the best tech guy, but theoretically couldn't someone make a replacement transformer to specification? Also it may be a possibility that a more common piece of gear shares this part or something workable?

Good luck! If I ever have a problem with my scope, I know I would do anything in my power to save it. They are rare and noone makes anything near comperable.

Heya, I have a 3433. Seeing as they are rare too, wouldn't it be hard to find a transformer donor even if it is the same? Also I would think that its likely that yours may have other problems if someone ripped out the transformer.

I am not the best tech guy, but theoretically couldn't someone make a replacement transformer to specification? Also it may be a possibility that a more common piece of gear shares this part or something workable?

Good luck! If I ever have a problem with my scope, I know I would do anything in my power to save it. They are rare and noone makes anything near comperable.

Hi Q8, Were definitely of the same mind as far as maybe something else might be wrong with it. I'm really into these scopes and I know there aren't many 3434's out there, at least showing themselves. None ever on ebay, I've had a favorite search in for one for a very long time. I'm also of the mind that being a somewhat logical tech guy, if a parts unit came along, transformer hopefully intact AND useful, that I would be able to utilize it in the 3434. I have a really good bench guy I use here on Long Island that should I be able to get ahold of a tranny, I'll just bring everything to him and keep my fingers X'd. Speaking of rare, wish I'd never sold my Pioneer SD-1100 they are getting bookoo bucks for them recently on ebay, saw one going tonight heading for the 1G mark very soon. Last one was up for 2500 buy it now, best offer was accepted, but you never can see what it actually was. :confused: Anyway, thanks for the reply, and happy scoping!;)

wow what good and bad luck.....I wish you good luck- I don't know if this will be useful for you but the owners manual for the sh 3434 can be downloaded here- click on the lever titled : manual to download

warning- its in Japanse

Hi Q8, Were definitely of the same mind as far as maybe something else might be wrong with it. I'm really into these scopes and I know there aren't many 3434's out there, at least showing themselves. None ever on ebay, I've had a favorite search in for one for a very long time. I'm also of the mind that being a somewhat logical tech guy, if a parts unit came along, transformer hopefully intact AND useful, that I would be able to utilize it in the 3434. I have a really good bench guy I use here on Long Island that should I be able to get ahold of a tranny, I'll just bring everything to him and keep my fingers X'd. Speaking of rare, wish I'd never sold my Pioneer SD-1100 they are getting bookoo bucks for them recently on ebay, saw one going tonight heading for the 1G mark very soon. Last one was up for 2500 buy it now, best offer was accepted, but you never can see what it actually was. :confused: Anyway, thanks for the reply, and happy scoping!;)

Hi.
I have both scopes, and the transformer in both scopes has the same voltage outputs. I guess the capacity in VA is the same for both too. For the 3433 I had a new transformer made locally(in Norway). The transformers in the US versions of the scope had a bad reputation. The 3434 scope I have operates on 100 vac. I do not know if these scopes ever were sold outside Japan.

have you ever thought about buying one from Japan?- I see them periodically go for sale on some the Japanese auction sites (they don't seem to go for much currency conversion wise to Canadian dollars)- USD would be even cheaper

its just a matter of shipping and using the various auction sites- which are unfortunately written all in Japanese....I know of one quad collector and that is how he managed to get his for rather cheap

will be difficult but not impossible

Hi,

@odru can you tell me how I can obtain a transformer for SH-3433? I have 2 with dead transformers...

Hi.
I have both scopes, and the transformer in both scopes has the same voltage outputs. I guess the capacity in VA is the same for both too. For the 3433 I had a new transformer made locally(in Norway). The transformers in the US versions of the scope had a bad reputation. The 3434 scope I have operates on 100 vac. I do not know if these scopes ever were sold outside Japan.

Hi,
Would it be possible for me to order two of those custom transformers? Who made them for you?

Thank you!

Hi,

Can you please tell me what are the specs of the transformer you had made in Norway for the Panasonic Sh-3433 audio scope?

What are the current ratings of the following outputs:
6.3v, 40v, 440v, 24v, 4.5v

Thank you!

Last edited:
I'm glad this thread is still going nearly 2 years after I started it, but it still appears that any meaningful info (in English) is not readily obtainable for those in need. What I would like to know is that although you say that both scopes have the same voltage outputs, I would need a concrete answer about VA not a just guess. Getting the Japanese 3434 manual translated would help out immensely for everyone.

Hi.

I found few companies that would make a replacent transformer. I would need to send in the broken one.
They will charge $100-150 for process prepare and $40-50 per transformer.

I wish odru would comment with his specs from the new transformer he had made in Norway.

I found a guy in the US, but he wanted $1675.00 US to rewind mine. He has an SH3433 tranny for $165 but he wouldn't tell me if it would work. I would happily pay $200 if your guy can do it essence25.

Back