What's the Latest Stereo (or Mono) SACD in Your Collection?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, if you're in a hurry become a member of the AF club. Neither of these disks is anything special though. If I could return them for a refund I would. SH doing schlock. Early fade-outs on at least two songs (for no reason), brightness, graininess, bloated bass, you name it. A few tracks sound excellent: Daniel and Spirit In The Sky. The 3 3/4 IPS reel I have of that Norman Greenbaum album comes real close though.

Well, if you're in a hurry become a member of the AF club. Neither of these disks is anything special though. If I could return them for a refund I would. SH doing schlock. Early fade-outs on at least two songs (for no reason), brightness, graininess, bloated bass, you name it. A few tracks sound excellent: Daniel and Spirit In The Sky. The 3 3/4 IPS reel I have of that Norman Greenbaum album comes real close though.

I was waiting for your comments but didn't see any so I ordered them. I don't want an AF membership.

I've been having second thoughts myself, but once cancelled I think it's a permanent decision so don't want to be hasty.

The reality is that I'm a surround lover and only buy 2 channel content when there is no other option. I'm not a big fan of SH's work either, just saying. It's a shame that these discs aren't good because it's a great idea to bring so much good music to a single disc. It's something I've wanted ever since I got involved in hi rez.

The Isaac Hayes Movement.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 168
I ordered both those discs; one from amazon(Crank It Up)and one from importcds(Get It On) and today I got a shipping notice on my order from importcds. For those who are keeping score at home importcds won this round, here are the results=importcds and amazon it's bad enough that amazon lost the price comparison but losing the shipping date by a wide margin makes it one sided on that disc.

Just gave the Legends SACDs a listen. The Audio Fidelity web site says they went back and got tapes of each track to make the Legends discs. So this must have been quite a project with the number of tracks on each.

There are some highlights on both discs that haven't appeared on SACD before like "In The Air Tonight", "For What It's Worth", "Daniel", "Spirit In The Sky", "Blinded by the Light" and "Spill The Wine". There are also some surprises - I never thought I'd see (or hear) "Spirit In The Sky" or "Smokin' In The Boys Room" on an SACD! Fun.

Just gave the Legends SACDs a listen. The Audio Fidelity web site says they went back and got tapes of each track to make the Legends discs. So this must have been quite a project with the number of tracks on each.

There are some highlights on both discs that haven't appeared on SACD before like "In The Air Tonight", "For What It's Worth", "Daniel", "Spirit In The Sky", "Blinded by the Light" and "Spill The Wine". There are also some surprises - I never thought I'd see (or hear) "Spirit In The Sky" or "Smokin' In The Boys Room" on an SACD! Fun.

I think "surprises" is the key here, both good and bad. I've only listened to the Get It On disc so far and it's a mixed bag. Of the 17 songs I have 8 of them on other hi rez versions. For the most part they come reasonably close to those versions I already have. I concentrated on the ones I didn't have and SPILL THE WINE is the best of that group. The frustrating part of this disc is the mixed quality within a song, from crystal clear to bright and congested. Part of the song sounded like a hi rez disc and other parts like a garden variety CD. I wasn't expecting miracles here but I was hoping for more than this given the circumstances involved(access to the masters). I will continue to buy similar offerings due to the incredible content and hope for more consistent results. For those that don't have the other songs I mentioned on other hi rez titles this could be a great way for them to hear these songs.

If you compare this SACD to a quality SACD this one wouldn't be competitive. If you compare it to other compilation discs in the market place(CD's)then it's going to rate high. If it didn't have the great content I wouldn't even consider buying another one, but the content makes up for a lot of the problems and the convenience of having these classic songs on one disc is still appealing to me. The price is very reasonable if you shop around($22 range) as well.

My July subscription arrived.

Attachments

• sacd_scheherazade.jpg
    sacd_scheherazade.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 147
  • sacd_presto.jpg
    sacd_presto.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 147
For Cupboy:

How did first listen for Renaissance go? I'm getting it regardless of SQ. Renaissance has always been one of my favorite groups during their prime, the albums Prologue through Midas Man(or at least the album that contains Midas Man.)

I'm waiting for Amazon to show it as available before ordering. Acoustic Sounds shows it as available.

Back