What's the Latest Stereo (or Mono) SACD in Your Collection?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, is it from the SACD tapes or a new remastering ?

Apparently the liner notes translated from the Japanese say the following (I've got this info from the SHF)..

"2010 latest DSD mastering United Kingdom original analog tape" and "flat transferred from UK original analogue master tapes in 2010 by Kevin Vanbergen (FX Copyroom)."

I'd refuse to listen to Stampede in stereo. I'm used to hearing it in Quad.

That's a shame, the Stereo SACD sounds absolutely wonderful.

Its one of my favourite Doobies records and I have several other versions of this album, including the original 80's CD, the remastered Japanese paper sleeve CD and a very very good conversion of the fabulous Quad mix.. the sound on this new SACD is head and shoulders the best sounding among those versions, imho.

if you love the Doobies and love great sound quality, you're missing out by not getting the SACD is my take on it.

Both sides of this issue have merit. Most times, my preference is to listen in surround. Yet, I have repurchased most titles that I originally purchased in Quad. Quad was my only copy of the majority of those until the advent of CD. Many who were used to listening to a stereo copy had revelations upon hearing the surround mix. Many of my experiences were opposite. Years after the original release, I discovered differences in the 2 ch mix.

Owning a 2 ch copy, especially higher fidelity (1/2 speed LP, Gold Disc. 2ch SACD, dbx LP, etc.) is a great way to further explore classic albums. Just as surround mixes reveal things never before heard, often audiophile releases do as well. Perhaps my point could best be made with 2ch dbx encoded LP's of Larry Coryell/Eleventh House and Loggins & Messina's Full Sail. Although both Quad's are mixed well and I cherish them, it's hard to ignore the completely silent background and wider dynamic range of the dbx LP's.

Although CD-4 is my favorite Quad LP format, I've always heard the abbreviated high end, and it's annoying. That's much less evident today at my advanced age. I own over 200 Q8's, yet I rarely play them. (Controversy warning): Q8's sound like crap! Unless the Quad mix is absolutely awesome, it's difficult to listen to low-fi when spectacular imaging, wider frequency response, no wow/flutter, and better s/n ratio await. Granted, not everyone has a system that has 37 components and costs tens of thousands. A $200 Quad compact won't reveal how much better the 1/2 speed LP sounds over a Q8.

I've rebought most of those Q8's on Quad LP's, audiophile formats and CD's. I prefer to spin an SQ LP over a Q8, despite the limitations of matrix. The improvement in fidelity is enormous. I've always believed that most Q8's have better fidelity than their 2 ch 8-track counterparts. And there are some wonderful Q8 conversions out there. Still, those software limitations are painfully obvious. Unless the mix is spectacular, I'd prefer a 2ch audiophile format to a Q8. If the mix is good, I do prefer Quad LP's to audiophile pressings.

Give me a great surround mix and great fidelity like advanced res., and I couldn't be happier. I have sought them out for over forty years. Beyond that, sadly, it becomes a tradeoff. With today's digital technology, it need not be a tradeoff. We need more 5.1 advanced res. discs.

Sorry to hijack this thread. IMHO, all this needed to be said.

I'd refuse to listen to Stampede in stereo. I'm used to hearing it in Quad.

A couple minutes ago, I watched Yusuf (Cat Stevens) on my DVR doing First Cut and Wild World on last night's Tonight Show. Would you rather listen to a low-fi Q8 with a crappy mix of Tea for the Tillerman, or a 1/2 speed LP, Gold CD or even the 2 ch SACD, which leaves a bit to be desired? I've owned them all and they blow the Q8 out of the water, especially the 1/2 speed LP.

Yes, I usually have bought both. I own or have owned anywhere from 5 - 12 copies of every classic album in my collection. Remastered audio, 1/2 speed mastering, hi-res, surround, vocals in other languages, new mixes and/or bonus tracks are the reasons. As we all know, remasters are often no better, sometimes worse. Yet, higher fidelity makes an old album fresh again. Many bonus tracks are forgettable or even sludge. Yet, most demos and alternate takes are both entertaining and enlightening. Some are even better than the released version. Even added snippets are marvelous. The circus organ on the extended intro of Spirit's Mr. Skin. "God Save the Queen" on the Doors' L.A. Woman is a great touch. The extended guitar jam at the end of Moby Grape's Hey Grandma is both envigorating and revelatory. David Rubinson's studio chatter on Moby Grape's Fall on You: "introduction, SHIT!" and Someday: "it's really getting pretty" add context to why these tracks sound like they do.

All this has cost me over $250,000 over the years. I live for this stuff!

If I had to do it all over, I'd do it all over you. - Dylan

Enough said....

13678116574_84cebe1941.jpg

I remember it panning out surprisingly well in PLII Music.. :eek:

That's a fun Single Layer Stereo SACD. Not a sonic highlight, but it has some fun dance music. (Who could forget "She Bangs" in English and Spanish?!)
And it works quite well with the Surround Master in the default Involve/QS Stereo to Quad mode. (Much better than PL II ! )

Enjoy.

Back