What's the Latest Stereo (or Mono) SACD in Your Collection?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aretha Franklin - Aretha's Gold (1969) [MFSL 2014]

002c6662.jpg

Soundboy, you're a little ahead of me. My SHM-SACDs of Brothers In Arms and Carpenters Singles 1969-1973 are still in transit.

On Paradise Theater by Styx, are you planning to get the SHM-SACD version as well? Interesting that Universal Music licensed
that album to Audio Fidelity in the U.S. for SACD release while issuing it as an SHM-SACD in Japan!

soundboy must have the AF subscription plan since I don't see anyone selling that AF Styx title yet, not even AF themselves. Actually the SHM SACD is supposedly out already but nobody seems to have it in stock.

soundboy must have the AF subscription plan since I don't see anyone selling that AF Styx title yet, not even AF themselves. Actually the SHM SACD is supposedly out already but nobody seems to have it in stock.

I've seen the same on the Audio Fidelity SACD by Styx. May 6th release date for Acoustic Sounds, Elusive Disc and Music Direct. May 20th for Amazon. Never tried the AF SACD subscription option. That could be the story on the early delivery.

The Universal Japan SHM-SACD shows a release date of April 23rd at CD Japan, and they have an In Stock copy they are sending me this week. So the Styx SHM-SACD edition is out.

Soundboy, you're a little ahead of me. My SHM-SACDs of Brothers In Arms and Carpenters Singles 1969-1973 are still in transit.

On Paradise Theater by Styx, are you planning to get the SHM-SACD version as well? Interesting that Universal Music licensed
that album to Audio Fidelity in the U.S. for SACD release while issuing it as an SHM-SACD in Japan!

Yes, I do have the AF subscription. As for the SHM-SACD version of "Paradise Theater", I will pass. I've got to admit....I love "Paradise Theater" when I was in high school, but I am not so sure now. Instead of "Paradise Theater", the money will be spend on Tears For Fear SHM-SACD.

It is odd that Universal is releasing "Paradise Theater" on SHM-SACD and then on regular SACD in the US. I wonder what percentage of SHM-SACD sales is to customers outside of Japan. I do see people on Hong Kong and Singapore audiophile forums discussing about their latest SHM-SACD purchases.

Yes, I do have the AF subscription. As for the SHM-SACD version of "Paradise Theater", I will pass. I've got to admit....I love "Paradise Theater" when I was in high school, but I am not so sure now. Instead of "Paradise Theater", the money will be spend on Tears For Fear SHM-SACD.

I'm rather annoyed that the TFF doesn't have the two bonus tracks that the MFSL Gold CD had, so I think I will just stick with the gold CD.

Does AF charge for shipping on those subscriptions?

Nice. I'm in the process of signing up.

update: Well, they stuck me with a shipping charge of $7.65. Whatever deal you got must have expired.

Last edited:
Aretha Franklin - Aretha's Gold (1969) [MFSL 2014]

View attachment 13858

A very long time ago one cold winter night I was walking home in an area that I shouldn't have been in, and walked past this house that I heard Aretha coming from, and it sounded dam good. So good in fact I stopped and sat on the porch listening to it, the entire album, freezing my boys off! It was loud, clear and very present. I still to this day don't know any details of the system or anything. I did try going back once but no one answered the door.

Did your Clapton come in a clear case? Haven't seen AF using those before. The Styx was in the usual style.

Haven't played either one yet. I'm still waiting for my Japan shipment to show up.

Did your Clapton come in a clear case? Haven't seen AF using those before. The Styx was in the usual style.

Haven't played either one yet. I'm still waiting for my Japan shipment to show up.

Hmm, are they moving away from the original gold jackets that go back to the 24K CD days ?

Unfortunately No. I was talking about the jewel case, not the slipcase.

Elton John - Elton John (SHM-SACD).

The (wonderful) 2nd album with Your Song, Border Song, Take Me To The Pilot, Sixty Years On, etc.. on a Japanese SACD, supposedly a flat DSD transfer from the UK mastertapes..

..whatever they mean by UK mastertapes is not 100% clear to me, still I've give it a good listen over the w/end.

Back