What's the Latest Stereo (or Mono) SACD in Your Collection?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Faye Wong's kind of fan :)

Attachments

• 10_768x768_4.jpg
    10_768x768_4.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 281
  • 1478306154677340539.jpg
    1478306154677340539.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 263
IMHO, Jack Johnson is Miles' best. I bought the Japan single-layer SACD 10+ years ago. My original copy of Jack Johnson was as a new release. If anyone has both the Japan and MoFi SACD's, I'd love to hear about how they compare.

I saw Miles several times. There are several hundred Miles discs in my collection. Between the Complete Montreux and Complete Columbia Albums boxes, there are 90 discs.

Just arrived Miles Davis, Jack Johnson, stereo by Mobile Fidelity.

IMHO, Jack Johnson is Miles' best. I bought the Japan single-layer SACD 10+ years ago. My original copy of Jack Johnson was as a new release. If anyone has both the Japan and MoFi SACD's, I'd love to hear about how they compare.

I saw Miles several times. There are several hundred Miles discs in my collection. Between the Complete Montreaux and Complete Columbia Albums boxes, there are 90 discs.

Super cool to have that history. Miles goes on for Miles. I only have the MOFI Jack Johnson and I agree it is a beauty. I think I have about 20 Miles discs, mostly MOFI, 1 surround Tutu, i have not bought Bitches Brew in surround as I wanted to remain a purist.

Although this list has't been updated by sacd.net or me in a couple years, here's my Miles SACD's on 2 pages: http://www.sa-cd.net/library/7517/14

I also bought the DVD-V Monster Music surround mix (upmix) of Sketches of Spain, which I recommend strongly. Back in the day, I bought SQ's of Bitches Brew and Live-Evil, both of which I recommend. Tutu on DVD-A is my favorite surround Miles.

Selim Sivad rasped: You're Under Arrest...so you better shut up

:yikes:yikes:yikes

and

:banana::banana::banana:

Spirit (1st album)

Saw this one on the shelf in Milwaukee last Thursday. Although we're Amazon Prime members, my copy showed up this morning. Good thing we aren't regular members, or it would have turned up just in time for my funeral.

Spirit (1st album)

Saw this one on the shelf in Milwaukee last Thursday. Although we're Amazon Prime members, my copy showed up this morning. Good thing we aren't regular members, or it would have turned up just in time for my funeral.

Hey Linda. I love Spirit, but this would be the 4th time I've bought this title. Have you listened to it yet? Would really appreciate your opinion!

First, a little background. Spirit is in my top 5 acts of all time. IMHO, this album is their 2nd best. It would be in my Top 100 albums. All four of their original albums are great. Sardonicus is in my Top 10! Lots of homework done in High School with this 1st album as the soundtrack.

At 15, Randy was a member of Jimmy James (Hendrix) and the Blue Flames. Hendrix met him in a guitar shop in NY named Manny's Guitars and was so knocked out by the teenager's chops that he asked him to join his band. Hendrix also named him California, to differentiate him from Randy (Palmer) Texas, also in Hendrix' group. I had met Randy (RIP) and Ed (RIP.)

Their Topanga Canyon roommate and roadie was Barry Hansen, later known as the radio host Dr. Demento.

I've bought this one lots of times: original LP in '68, 2 LP Carol Kane cover (w/Clear), CD, remastered CD, CD Carol Kane cover (w/Clear) TWICE, Edsel UK CD, '96 expanded CD and 9 tracks of 11 on Time Circle. So, this is my 10th copy. Carol Kane cover: http://tralfaz-archives.com/coverart/S/Spirit/spirit_spirit.htm

Since Time Circle ('91 compilation) is the copy I had handy, I a/b'ed it to the SACD layer. I compared Fresh Garbage, Uncle Jack & Mechanical World. High end seemed a bit cleaner on SACD. Although I don't have DR #'s, SACD seemed to have better dynamic range and is more open.

I'm compelled to post this, too: In December '68, they appeared at the Denver Auditorium, with support band Led Zeppelin, who soon after incorporated parts of Spirit's song "Fresh Garbage" in an extended medley during their early 1969 concerts. Spirit also appeared with Led Zeppelin at two outdoor music festivals in July 1969. (Wiki)

Although a judge ruled otherwise, IMHO Stairway to Heaven's acoustic intro IS lifted from Taurus on this Spirit album. I had Zep's first album before FM radio began playing it. So, I'm a Zep fan, too.

Page & Plant claimed in court that they had never heard "Taurus." I claim "that's pure bullshit." They had acknowledged two of my five favorite acts (Spirit & Moby Grape) as influences in early interviews.

Their second album, The Family That Plays Together is due next month on AF SACD. The title alludes to the fact that Ed Cassidy, the drummer, was Randy California's stepfather.

Hey Linda. I love Spirit, but this would be the 4th time I've bought this title. Have you listened to it yet? Would really appreciate your opinion!

I recall in the mid 90's Ed Cassidy advertising in the back of a Record Collecting magazine (can't recall which one...) to give drumming lessons. (y) I thought at the time, Wow if only I lived nearby.

First, a little background. Spirit is in my top 5 acts of all time. IMHO, this album is their 2nd best. It would be in my Top 100 albums. All four of their original albums are great. Sardonicus is in my Top 10! Lots of homework done in High School with this 1st album as the soundtrack.

At 15, Randy was a member of Jimmy James (Hendrix) and the Blue Flames. Hendrix met him in a guitar shop in NY named Manny's Guitars and was so knocked out by the teenager's chops that he asked him to join his band. Hendrix also named him California, to differentiate him from Randy (Palmer) Texas, also in Hendrix' group. I had met Randy (RIP) and Ed (RIP.)

Their Topanga Canyon roommate and roadie was Barry Hansen, later known as the radio host Dr. Demento.

I've bought this one lots of times: original LP in '68, 2 LP Carol Kane cover (w/Clear), CD, remastered CD, CD Carol Kane cover (w/Clear) TWICE, Edsel UK CD, '96 expanded CD and 9 tracks of 11 on Time Circle. So, this is my 10th copy. Carol Kane cover: http://tralfaz-archives.com/coverart/S/Spirit/spirit_spirit.htm

Since Time Circle ('91 compilation) is the copy I had handy, I a/b'ed it to the SACD layer. I compared Fresh Garbage, Uncle Jack & Mechanical World. High end seemed a bit cleaner on SACD. Although I don't have DR #'s, SACD seemed to have better dynamic range and is more open.

I'm compelled to post this, too: In December '68, they appeared at the Denver Auditorium, with support band Led Zeppelin, who soon after incorporated parts of Spirit's song "Fresh Garbage" in an extended medley during their early 1969 concerts. Spirit also appeared with Led Zeppelin at two outdoor music festivals in July 1969. (Wiki)

Although a judge ruled otherwise, IMHO Stairway to Heaven's acoustic intro IS lifted from Taurus on this Spirit album. I had Zep's first album before FM radio began playing it. So, I'm a Zep fan, too.

Page & Plant claimed in court that they had never heard "Taurus." I claim "that's pure bullshit." They had acknowledged two of my five favorite acts (Spirit & Moby Grape) as influences in early interviews.

Their second album, The Family That Plays Together is due next month on AF SACD. The title alludes to the fact that Ed Cassidy, the drummer, was Randy California's stepfather.

Hey Linda. Thank you very much for taking the time for such a detailed response. You and I are probably similar in age. I bought the LPs when they first came out. I remember when 12 Dreams was released and was floored by the leap in music complexity that occurred from the previous album. I was in the army at the time and we all had some really high dollar hi-fi gear in our little rooms in the barracks. Crown amplifiers, JBL 4310 studio monitors, etc. Not much else to spend our $500 dollars a month on. We sure cranked that album!

I did finally get to see Spirit on the Tent of Miracles tour in Austin. Great concert in a small outside setting. Do you remember the Tent of Miracles website? Wasn't it run by some guy in Norway or Sweden? I used to check it out often hoping for a new release!

You are lucky to have met Randy and Ed. We are lucky Randy's mom didn't let him go to England! At least that is the story I've read. I'm sure you know the real story.

You know I was going to buy all four SACDs regardless, but it helps when someone gives me a little encouragement. I don't have the massive collection you have, but I would guess a thousand CDs, DVD-Audios and SACDs. My records and stereo were stolen years ago. Although I still have 40 records I purchased when a lot of titles weren't released on CD. There was was the website called California Albums were you would put in a minimum bid to purchase. It was a pretty good deal.

I love Moby Grape! I wish they hadn't had so many personal and management issues. So sad. That debut album was incredible. The king of the San Francisco bands in my mind. When the CDs came out, I missed out before that SOB Katz filed suit. I paid more than I wanted too, but tracked them all down.

Lastly, you are right about Taurus and Stairway to Heaven. I love Led Zeppelin, but this wasn't the first time they took too much liberty with someone else's music. They were really good at though! So again, thanks Linda. I don't post much around here, but I always love to read yours. All killer and no filler!

Hugh Masekela -Hope If you like Saxophone and Drums this is an awesome sounding SACD (if i had to sell my speakers this would be the demo i would use) Normally i am not into African Music but when i heard this on JJJ back in the days i was hooked onto this cd , absolutely love itDSCF5266.jpg

Hugh Masekela -Hope If you like Saxophone and Drums this is an awesome sounding SACD (if i had to sell my speakers this would be the demo i would use) Normally i am not into African Music but when i heard this on JJJ back in the days i was hooked onto this cd , absolutely love itView attachment 29697

That is an excellent SACD and DSD Download.
A favorite here. Highly recommended.

Gus Skinas at the Super Audio Center says:
"This record sounds fantastic!! This was originally a 1/2" stereo tape mastered directly to SACD. And it sounds just like the 1/2" master."

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/41713/Hugh_Masekela-Hope-Hybrid_Stereo_SACD
http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/94733/Hugh_Masekela-Hope-DSD_Single_Rate_28MHz64fs_Download

Back