What's the Latest Stereo (or Mono) SACD in Your Collection?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked up the last 6 Audio Fidelity titles from my US ship to:

Eric Clapton - Journeyman
Styx - Paradise Theater
Rush - Presto
Renaissance - Scherezade
Legends - Crank it up
Legends - Get it on

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 191
That's a pretty lousy review on sa-cd. Do you agree with it?

It is pretty damning! I've also read a review elsewhere at some point (I'll look for it & post details) and that reviewer said it sounded excellent and particularly good thru PLII Music. I'll update once I've given it a listen.

My mistake, the reviewer said it was good thru UHJ..

"Nineteen brass virtuosi from the Philadelphia, Cleveland and Chicago Symphonies were brought together at Philadelphia's Town Hall for this brass fest recorded in 1966 and 1968. About half of the 32 tracks are devoted to the expected source for early antiphonal music - Giovanni Gabrieli and his Canzonas and Sonatas that placed groups of players in various balconies around St. Mark's Cathedral in Venice. The rest of the SACD features brass works by Brade, Pezel, De Lassus and Holborne. Two thirds of these works are performed by two of the three brass ensembles spatially separated for the call-and-response effects of these works. The remaining one-third employ all three brass groups for a really spectacular sound.

The original Columbia LPs were full of distortion and are best forgotten. A few years ago Sony Classical reissued the first 13 Gabrieli works on this SACD (paired with an E. Power Biggs album of music for organ and brass) as one of their Masterworks Heritage remastered series. Using 20-bit and SBM, this series set high sonic standards. It also had a printed chart in the notes that was unfortunately missing from the SACD notes: it laid out clearly all 13 tracks, identified which brass ensembles were heard on each one and whether they were located on the left, center or right. A/B comparison of that CD with the new SACD showed a number of improvements, if of a subtle nature: When all the brass blasted together at high volume there was a smearing effect on the CD that was ameliorated greatly on the SACD, with individual voices standing out whereas before they were hidden in the sonic mush. There was more of a sense of the reverberant acoustics of Town Hall, similar to the effect found on most classical HDCD-encoded discs (when properly decoded). Though I had been doing most of the comparisons on only my left and right front speakers with the Cantares surround processor out of the loop, I was moved to fire up the processor and select the UHJ setting. I got a wonderful surround field that with a little adjustment of the front-to-back levels came close to replicating a discrete five-channel recording."

Source: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/audiophileaudition/0201/sacdreviews.htm

Neil Young...Sugar Mountain Live At Canterbury House 1968...dvda 2 chnl

Albert King...I'll Play the Blues For You...sacd 2 chnl

Please tell us your impressions of the new Kitaro sacd when you have had the chance to take a listen.

Just in case you missed my post over in the dedicated thread..

These are NOT the original recordings...

.. plus the sound is lousy.. bright, thin, digital.. YUCK

:howl :mad: :flame
I've asked Top Music about this. I'll see what they have to say.

Back