Audio Fidelity to do surround SACDs?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in the DCC Compact Classics days, Marshall had a website many of us from SH.tv used to visit. He eventually shut it down mainly due to the sometimes tempestuous and unreasonable nature of some members who couldn't understand why Marshall or DCC couldn't put out, you know, just about anything. And there were other things, like complaints about niggling things like liner note errors or other minor stuff. But DCC was a boutique label, whether standard CD, gold CD or as it morphed into Audio Fidelity SACD's. Some great reissues and remasters came out of those years, and most are still justifiably highly coveted by audiophiles.

ED :)

Never bought an AF SACD, that might change!!!

Re-releases of old quad titles, (previously unavailable in hi-rez) would be the ticket for me....(y)

Jeff Beck - Wired would be awesome!!!!

As part of that analysis, I've pointed them to QQ and this thread so they can incorporate some of your Surround Sound requests in that review.

So where is the list of proposed titles, can we put together a poll and vote or rank them?

Some other re-issues that AF could do:

The unreleased Elton John 5.1 Albums done by Greg Penny, e.g Caribou etc...

Other great quads:
Sundown - Gordon Lightfoot
Nilsson Schmilsson
Sly & the Family Stone's Greatest Hits
Pearl - Janis Joplin
Blood, Sweat & Tears Greatest Hits
Azteca
Best of Bread
Chicago VII
Best of the Guess Who
Can't Buy a Thrill - Steely Dan
Countdown to Ecstasy - Steely Dan
Jim Croce - Photgraphs & Memories
ANY Santanas
The Doobie Brothers - Any
Spinners
ZZ Top - Tres Hombres
Jackson Browne - Late For the Sky
Joni Mitchell - Court & Spark
O Jays - Message in the Music
Earth, Wind & Fire - Spirit, That's The Way of the World
Mfsb - Philadelphia Freedom
O Jays - Survival
George Benson - Body Talk
etc.....

Taken from the thread below:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?16009-10-Quad-Albums-You-d-Like-Reissued

Some other re-issues that AF could do:

The unreleased Elton John 5.1 Albums done by Greg Penny, e.g Caribou etc...

Other great quads:
Sundown - Gordon Lightfoot
Nilsson Schmilsson
Sly & the Family Stone's Greatest Hits
Pearl - Janis Joplin
Blood, Sweat & Tears Greatest Hits
Azteca
Best of Bread
Chicago VII
Best of the Guess Who
Can't Buy a Thrill - Steely Dan
Countdown to Ecstasy - Steely Dan
Jim Croce - Photgraphs & Memories
ANY Santanas
The Doobie Brothers - Any
Spinners
ZZ Top - Tres Hombres
Jackson Browne - Late For the Sky
Joni Mitchell - Court & Spark
O Jays - Message in the Music
Earth, Wind & Fire - Spirit, That's The Way of the World
Mfsb - Philadelphia Freedom
O Jays - Survival
George Benson - Body Talk
etc.....

Taken from the thread below:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?16009-10-Quad-Albums-You-d-Like-Reissued

That's a good list.

The best bet is probably to look at the albums and artists that Audio Fidelity has released to date. And then suggest an album from one of those artists that also has a Quad mix out there that you'd buy on Multichannel SACD. For example, check:
http://www.audiofidelity.net/24kgold
http://www.audiofidelity.net/sacd
http://www.audiofidelity.net/180plus-virgin-vinyl

That's a good list.

The best bet is probably to look at the albums and artists that Audio Fidelity has released to date. And then suggest an album from one of those artists that also has a Quad mix out there that you'd buy on Multichannel SACD. For example, check:
http://www.audiofidelity.net/24kgold
http://www.audiofidelity.net/sacd
http://www.audiofidelity.net/180plus-virgin-vinyl

OK - How about:

Bob Dylan quads - Nashville Skyline and Desire
America - Holiday & Hearts
Laura Nyro - Eli and the Thirteenth Confession
James Taylor - Gorilla etc...
Grand Funk - We're An American Band
Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar babies (quad mix - not the modern 5.1 )
Joe Walsh - The Smoker You Drink, the Player You Get
Carly Simon - No Secrets, Carly Simon, Hotcakes
Ten Years After - A Space in Time (done correctly this time) :mad:@:

They would all be fantastic too!!!

Its a pity that Bob Dylan - Desire has recently been done stereo only by MFSL...:(

Its a pity that Bob Dylan - Desire has recently been done stereo only by MFSL...:(

If that's a recent Mobile Fidelity SACD reissue, Audio Fidelity will probably pass. But you still have a number of titles there that would appear to be right up AF's alley.

I have been in email contact with Marshall. He has checked out our forum, HiRez Polls and such, and seems to like it! Time will tell if he posts here and decides to go surround.

Fingers crossed!

I have been in email contact with Marshall. He has checked out our forum, HiRez Polls and such, and seems to like it! Time will tell if he posts here and decides to go surround.

Fingers crossed!

Sounds good!

Not to spray paint on rose-colored glasses or anything, but...I have a long memory of Marshall's approach and attitude about what to reissue through his company.

Some stuff--because he wasn't personally interested, not his thing--was dismissed out of hand, riling up some of the natives. To be fair, he would also tell them the truth: mainly that some stuff he simply couldn't license, for one reason or another, from the expense of doing so to the fact that some music wasn't available for that kind of boutique treatment, whether due to an act's reluctance or refusal to allow it, or a label's powers-that-be feeling the same way.

On the positive side, that he is interested at all is a good thing, and maybe there is some material out there to be licensed and reissued in MC that enough of us would buy to give him a reason to continue (apparently what we bought from Because Sound Matters wasn't enough).

At this point I'm not very optimistic, but this is a time where I'd love to be proven wrong, that quad/5.1 reissues would actually be feasible.

Not to spray paint on rose-colored glasses or anything, but...I have a long memory of Marshall's approach and attitude about what to reissue through his company.

Some stuff--because he wasn't personally interested, not his thing--was dismissed out of hand, riling up some of the natives. To be fair, he would also tell them the truth: mainly that some stuff he simply couldn't license, for one reason or another, from the expense of doing so to the fact that some music wasn't available for that kind of boutique treatment, whether due to an act's reluctance or refusal to allow it, or a label's powers-that-be feeling the same way.

On the positive side, that he is interested at all is a good thing, and maybe there is some material out there to be licensed and reissued in MC that enough of us would buy to give him a reason to continue (apparently what we bought from Because Sound Matters wasn't enough).

At this point I'm not very optimistic, but this is a time where I'd love to be proven wrong, that quad/5.1 reissues would actually be feasible.

There are always challenges to reissues. When I was covering Hi Rez Audio for High Fidelity Review, the reasons why certain albums were delayed or not released were many.
It made me begin to really appreciate what the folks behind labels like Analogue Productions, Mobile Fidelity and Audio Fidelity wrestle with regularly.
And to be amazed that any reissues come out at all!

With Audio Fidelity, adding a Quad or Multichannel track on a Hybrid SACD project makes sense. It makes the reissue appeal to more potential music fans.
As Chad Kassem at Analogue Productions says it "adds some gravy" to the release. Which is why they add 3 Channel Stereo and Multichannel to their SACDs when available.

Today in my e-mail account:

Hey Nico:

Fleetwood Mac on any format would be a cool. We have been trying for years to have a Fleetwood Mac title on Audio Fidelity.

We are on the same page with this one!

Marshall

Today in my e-mail account:

Hey Nico:

Fleetwood Mac on any format would be a cool. We have been trying for years to have a Fleetwood Mac title on Audio Fidelity.

We are on the same page with this one!

Marshall

I'm with Marshall at Audio Fidelity there. A Fleetwood Mac Multichannel SACD, like Tusk, would be a winner!
Sorry to hear they have been unable to reissue any Fleetwood titles on SACD so far. Another example of how difficult bringing the reissues to market, in any form, can be.

I still covet that Fleetwood Mac white album released that was promised then shelved back in the DVD-Audio days. Hearing Monday Morning off the Acura demo disc only made that more of something that I want to hear more of.

"Hey David:Wow! The Cream "Wheels of Fire," as you know was our first attempt at 24K.I still love that album and the packaging. I am sorry to see the 24K go aswell. We're talking about multi-channel now, but no decision as yet. Thanks for the support and interest.Marshall "

Well at least they are talking about it.
Interesting that you all like this post, but I didn't post it. My name is on it somehow. Strange!

Back