Audio Fidelity to do surround SACDs?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Right. Mobile Fidelity's Classical Surround Series were from the Vox Quad recordings of the 1970s era. And they sound quite good in Multichannel SACD!

Mobile Fidelity worked with mastering engineer Paul Stubblebine in San Francisco on these. The same engineer who did many of the SACDs for Winston Ma at First Impression Music (FIM) and some classic albums for Columbia Records in the 1970's.

So I wouldn't forget about those Surround SACDs as LK notes. They are good ones.

of course I know about the Classical MoFo Quads, they're in my shopping list when I can find them cheaply enough! I was just taking the piss it was a series of 1 rock/pop title :D

If they could just release a remastered 4.0, it would probably cost less. The center and sub channels would have to be "created" for these old mixes, unless they want to spend the coin for a new mix (which would be a waste). Why not just do what Rhino did and proclaim "The original Quad mix".

Seems to make more sense than trying to create a fake 5.1. Also, those with crappy centers and subs would get the full playback from the 4 channel mix.

If they could just release a remastered 4.0, it would probably cost less. The center and sub channels would have to be "created" for these old mixes, unless they want to spend the coin for a new mix (which would be a waste). Why not just do what Rhino did and proclaim "The original Quad mix".

Seems to make more sense than trying to create a fake 5.1. Also, those with crappy centers and subs would get the full playback from the 4 channel mix.

That's certainly an option.

It's exactly what Mobile Fidelity did with their Classical SACD Series. They took the 4.0 Analog Quad Master Tapes from Vox and issued them as 4.0 Multichannel SACDs. No center or sub channels were created.
Very much in keeping with their audiophile/purist roots of issuing what is on the masters.

Similar also to the approach of RCA Living Stereo, Mercury and Analogue Productions of issuing 3 Channel recordings as 3 Channel Stereo SACDs.

Duncan,
the stuff from CBS is available in digital format. Unless we had a flying pig invasion and Sony is going to release them on blue ray, Someone could offer enough cash, and they would let you market them thru special markets. Would just need to be above what they think they could get from marketing them. That is a fluid number depending upon the sun and wind and moon I bet, for many reasons. Ya also gotta give a first run # they will agree to. And pay them for each disc, sold or not.. For the DTS CDs, All we did is ask which titles and they had the quad masters on the digital format at that time, in a few weeks, in our hands. That was 1996. Sony did not get it all correct, but after all they are only in the biz of selling that product. What would you expect, perfection with a request as huge as 25 titles? :mad:@: Big corp, go to the trade shows, find someone ya can get to know in special markets. Make them your buddy and have some cash to spend. Then they have to get sold, another step along the way. Not easy to do, and this is a more diverse market than even that long ago. Strange Days Indeed. These will most likely never see another shot of public adoration. Maybe some reruns from sacds. Lot less work than redoing the quad titles.

I would think there is enough members here to guarantee a first run. In addition, there seems to be more interest now in multichannel music on other forums than I've seen previously. (Membership here has increased too). The new blu-ray audio and multichannel blu-ray audio releases have sparked interest.

I know many here have a commitment to DVD-A but any new wave of quad re-releases and/or 5.1 would need to be attractive to current blu-ray/home theatre equipped consumers. All they need to do is buy the disc.

....any new wave of quad re-releases and/or 5.1 would need to be attractive to current blu-ray/home theatre equipped consumers. All they need to do is buy the disc.

I'm pretty sure AF isn't going to switch to dts, if that's what you're talking about.

I just recorded this, the inside says they did this with some fake system. If you look at the wave files, I can do a hell of a lot better with quad toys. Don't these people know any history. Oh yea, that is right, may as well invent the wheel again.:slap::slap::slap:
a surround series of 1..! :ugham:

I also just recorded Elton John material and almost all is brickwalled on all 5 channels. None of the Moodies material is. Very different approaches when looking at the files.

Let's just say we get 25 titles and we have to give a payment of 5000 copies for each, very low basic minimum. Say we get them at 3.50 a disc. Somewhere close to that. You are on the hook for 125,000 copies, this board is not selling those. No way. That is a half million without starting to sell them. I think people get a bit enthusiastic and do not see big pictures. Listen, I have been there and done it. This is a game for serious dough and realistic thought. The fellow who was trying to sell the new decoder here asked me for some advice and I gave him the truth. He did not like it, and was cold after that, but the truth is what it is. He believed he could make this box and the insides would sell it. Ain't nothing farther from reality. He has come to find it is very difficult to sell a box to audio stores, (if there are any left), that they have to sell as an add on. They hate it. I know from experience. I told him that, and said get it as far as you can and sell it to the big guys, who can make a run with it inside their box. He did not like that answer, but it is the truth, he could then go on and do small projects from the cash made from the sold project. Seems he is idealistic and wants to change the world with his box. Tried to tell him it ain't gonna happen. Been there. If selling any of this material was easy these days, the big guys would be in the game. It is now a much smaller niche market and the big guys will allow someone to try and market old material. The issue is exactly what Brian referred to above, it is messy. We went to the Moodies and Polygram, got their OK and they gave us the material. Some understand the reissue game and are not demanding silly things, run of 100,000, or 6 bucks a disc. Others think they can make some $ and get out of line quick, and kill they whole thing. They whole multichannel game is a bit odd, and it will continue to be mostly artist driven. Maybe we get lucky and find someone to take a plunge, gotta have deep pockets.

I would think there is enough members here to guarantee a first run. In addition, there seems to be more interest now in multichannel music on other forums than I've seen previously. (Membership here has increased too). The new blu-ray audio and multichannel blu-ray audio releases have sparked interest.

I know many here have a commitment to DVD-A but any new wave of quad re-releases and/or 5.1 would need to be attractive to current blu-ray/home theatre equipped consumers. All they need to do is buy the disc.

I'm pretty sure AF isn't going to switch to dts, if that's what you're talking about.

Not necessarily DTS. LPCM at 96/24 minimum. But to maximise compatibility with existing equipment DTS-HDMA would also support 'DTS Core' too. Since blu-ray was released most receivers support these formats.

Is there some politics with AF doing blu-ray and/or DTS?

My point was that there are many many more blu-ray based multichannel systems out there compared to SACD or DVD-A. DVD-V is seen as 'old' and not lossless. Blu-ray is the best choice to reach new consumers IMO. To be successful this needs to generate enough sales to be self sustaining and I think that needs new consumers. Many current surround enthusiasts have already bought BD and if there's new content more will follow.

The whole SACD-Audiophile thing becomes way too complicated and expensive for the average consumer. But there is no reason why someone can't enjoy surround music on their fairly modest 5.1 home theatre system.

Let's just say we get 25 titles and we have to give a payment of 5000 copies for each, very low basic minimum. Say we get them at 3.50 a disc. Somewhere close to that. You are on the hook for 125,000 copies, this board is not selling those. No way. That is a half million without starting to sell them. I think people get a bit enthusiastic and do not see big pictures....

Thanks for the feedback. Would we have to commit to 25 titles up front?

Not necessarily DTS. LPCM at 96/24 minimum. But to maximise compatibility with existing equipment DTS-HDMA would also support 'DTS Core' too. Since blu-ray was released most receivers support these formats.

Is there some politics with AF doing blu-ray and/or DTS?
That would be a really big problem. If you're familiar with the AF fan base most of them play the redbook layer of the SACD. All those sales would be lost. No way AF will give up all those sales and do Blu-ray instead. I'd even quit buying myself since I buy SACD.

That would be a really big problem. If you're familiar with the AF fan base most of them play the redbook layer of the SACD. All those sales would be lost. No way AF will give up all those sales and do Blu-ray instead. I'd even quit buying myself since I buy SACD.

That's right.

The model for the reissue companies is to get the master tapes, preferably - or in Analogue Productions case absolutely, to turn over to a mastering engineer. The engineer then uses their tools to generate improved sounding Stereo CD and Stereo SACD tracks for sale.

In some cases, like the "Surround Series" releases with Mobile Fidelity SACDs and the Multichannel SACDs from Analogue Productions (Norah Jones - 5.1, Pink Floyd & the Doors - 4.0, Nat King Cole, Sam Cooke, Ray Charles & The Weavers - 3.0) an existing Multichannel Master Tape is added to the project at minimal cost and then you have a Hybrid Multichannel SACD release in 3.0, 4.0, 5.0 or 5.1 channels plus the Stereo CD and Stereo SACD tracks depending on the source. (Chad Kassem at Acoustic Sounds/Analogue Productions called the availability of existing Surround Master Tapes "adding gravy" to a reissue project since it then also appeals to Surround Sound fans on top of the audiophile Stereo market).

So a Hybrid Stereo or Mono SACD release is at the core of what all three reissue labels do. Adding Multichannel can occur if such a master tape/mix exists but is unlikely to occur if it doesn't due to the cost of creating one from scratch.

Does it have to exclusive? (SACD or BD?). Probably, because SACD in seen by many as exclusive (i.e. Special). To me it's just one of a few formats capable of delivering hi-res surround.

Sounds like AF is not the company to get involved with any future quad/surround projects then based on last couple of posts.

So much passion for many when formats discussed. Personally format doesn't matter to me as I can play them all. I'm just thinking about breaking into new markets/customers.

Bit of a side topic but I had a discussion with a stereo only audiophile about surround music (he didn't like it, you know - we only have two ears so we only need two speakers argument). He finally admitted that he'd heard a couple of great movie surround tracks on his home theatre setup. When I found out he had a separate 5.1 system for HT and said "just use that and take a listen to BD-Audio". He then explained he couldn't because he didn't have 5 identical speakers in his HT.... (I also think he didn't want consider non-SACD :))

A quick update on Audio Fidelity. They are exploring the possibility of Hybrid Multichannel SACDs at some point in the future - including material that originally was released in 4.0 Quad and 5.1 Hi Res Audio.
We will have to wait and see if their explorations bear fruit.

As part of that analysis, I've pointed them to QQ and this thread so they can incorporate some of your Surround Sound requests in that review.

Very interesting !

Marshall Blonstein - President
Audio Fidelity-Morada Music
e mailed me back when I sent a message regrading MC sacd's, and would like me to call him to discuss the issue further. Anyone wish to kick in? I will call him tomorrow. I told him we will support any new and old productions. and mentioned QQ

Marshall Blonstein - President of Audio Fidelity-Morada Music e mailed me back when I sent a message regrading MC sacd's, and would like me to call him to discuss the issue further. Anyone wish to kick in? I will call him tomorrow. I told him we will support any new and old productions. and mentioned QQ

I talked to Marshall about his Multichannel SACD research recently over the phone. Looks like AF is seriously entertaining suggestions about what titles to research and pursue for potential SACD release.

Enjoy the call - Marshall is very knowledgeable about the industry - having been at Ode Records when Carole King's Tapestry was released !

I talked to Marshall about his Multichannel SACD research recently over the phone. Looks like AF is seriously entertaining suggestions about what titles to research and pursue for potential SACD release.

Enjoy the call - Marshall is very knowledgeable about the industry - having been at Ode Records when Carole King's Tapestry was released !

You know this could be a very promising source!! What other Pres. has consumers call him?

Back