Yes - The Yes Album in 5.1 Surround DVD-A/BluRay in 2014

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, in his latest Facebook update, Steven Wilson said that he's working in the next Yes album from the 70s period, so I guess that rules our completely Going for the One as next in the series. Now we can speculate about which one from that era will be the next. Tales as you're suggesting?

SW actually says from the early 70's, so agreed not GFTO. I reckon Tales, with various things that have been said. I would be disappointed if its Fragile, as we already have a 5.1 for that, and can wait for the SW version, at least until after the other Yes albums have been done.

I'm reading now in other places that the next Yes in this series, previously expected to be Going for the One, is instead going to be another Yes album from the early 70's. Topographic perhaps? Someone on the SH forum has actually stated that Going for the One is not currently scheduled to be part of this series, I don't know how he knows that :(

That was me, I get it from SW himself.

He has been hired to do the 1970-74 period only, at the moment.

That was me, I get it from SW himself.

He has been hired to do the 1970-74 period only, at the moment.

Thanks for the confirmation. Hopefully the emphasis is on at the moment!

With luck he'll be hired to do more eventually. His work on Close to the Edge was stunning, but The Yes Album is absolutely and amazingly perfect and is quickly turning into my favourite ever surround release.

Tales next, or is that a secret?

Thanks for the confirmation. Hopefully the emphasis is on at the moment!

With luck he'll be hired to do more eventually. His work on Close to the Edge was stunning, but The Yes Album is absolutely and amazingly perfect and is quickly turning into my favourite ever surround release.

Tales next, or is that a secret?

He has nothing against doing GFTO, so, if the occasion arises...

Tales may well be next... Nothing on Fragile yet.

SW actually says from the early 70's, so agreed not GFTO. I reckon Tales, with various things that have been said. I would be disappointed if its Fragile, as we already have a 5.1 for that, and can wait for the SW version, at least until after the other Yes albums have been done.

@Plan9. Many thanks for the update. SW is amazing how he has time/energy to do all these different bands 5.1 remixes.

@Colsky: I'm with you. Fragile is the last one I want done, or at least until all the others are done. Until the next YES is announced all we can do is guess so... I would say.

Fragile would be the overwhelming favorite of the label since it would sell the most, by far.

Time & A Word would not be in consideration here(until all from 1970 to 1980 are done, and that may never happen...)

Tales is the least attractive for the record label but has a very strong chance of being next, since SW seems to be doing the ones he fancies, plain & simple.
(Didn't SW say that Tales was in his list of 20 must have 5.1 recordings?)

Relayer I have no idea how much SW likes this one. He seems to be doing the ones he really has a passion for. Relayer would benefit most
from a remix. It has always sounded harsh & thin. I believe SW could do miracles with Relayer. Obviously a 5.1 presentation would be fantastic as well. :smokin

If SW has been contracted for 1970-1974 we might infer that the label is waiting to see how this project sells before continuing on with GFTO, Tormato or Drama. So we need to promote the heck out of these things to hope we get more in the future!

For me, I would like Tales next, by far. Tales was recorded so well and is the one true symphonic prog record(w/o an orchestra) I know of. Tales From Topographic Oceans was made for 5.1.

As long as the next release is not "Fragile", I don't care whether it's "Tales from Topographic Oceans", "Relayer", or "Going for the One". I'll take any of those three as they all deserve to be mixed and heard in 5.1 surround.

I'm also making myself available to mix any Yes albums that SW doesn't want to mix from the first album ("Yes") to "Big Generator", especially if that role doesn't go to our other good friend Jakko Jakszyk.
(Everything after that period makes me puke, except for a few great songs)

Seems to me there are recording artists other than Yes and ELP that could use these deluxe releases. Maybe from a couple of decades later too.

Seems to me there are recording artists other than Yes and ELP that could use these deluxe releases. Maybe from a couple of decades later too.

They will not allow it. Maiden, Sabbath, Priest, Slayer, Metallica, Rage against the Machine, Red hot chili peppers WOULD BE phenomenal but not everyone is achievable with regards to 5.1.

Zeppelin is the one i most want but no chance right now. They are pushing CDs instead.

They will not allow it. Maiden, Sabbath, Priest, Slayer, Metallica, Rage against the Machine, Red hot chili peppers WOULD BE phenomenal but not everyone is achievable with regards to 5.1.

Zeppelin is the one i most want but no chance right now. They are pushing CDs instead.

Who are 'they'? The artists or record companies?

I would buy a Stephen Wilson Fragile in a heartbeat. I currently have the Tim Weidner surround version on a Warner Japan label. That one is gawd awful (sorry to anyone concerned).

Zeppelin is the one i most want but no chance right now.
With the exception of the first two studio recordings most of the Led Zeppelin tracks were recorded with the Rolling Stone Mobile Studio. Not much to work with there, I imagine.

I wonder if SW likes Uriah Heep. No tomatoes please.

I would buy a Stephen Wilson Fragile in a heartbeat. I currently have the Tim Weidner surround version on a Warner Japan label. That one is gawd awful (sorry to anyone concerned).

With the exception of the first two studio recordings most of the Led Zeppelin tracks were recorded with the Rolling Stone Mobile Studio. Not much to work with there, I imagine.

I wonder if SW likes Uriah Heep. No tomatoes please.

There's some Uriah Heep in surround iirc?

A live in London disc (SACD, DVDA & DTS versions) and I remember LizardKing mentioning another DTS DVD of studio stuff (alternate takes I think? like a Silverline job but not) and I went a-hunting and found it. Not sure if I've ever played either of them :eek: Hang on I'll have a look.

Edit: Scrap that! I got all that wrong! :eek:

There's a couple of SACDs, including this live London MultiChannel one if you don't have already?

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/1831

There's some Uriah Heep in surround iirc?

A live in London disc (SACD, DVDA & DTS versions) and I remember LizardKing mentioning another DTS DVD of studio stuff (alternate takes I think? like a Silverline job but not) and I went a-hunting and found it. Not sure if I've ever played either of them :eek: Hang on I'll have a look.

Edit: Scrap that! I got all that wrong! :eek:

There's a couple of SACDs, including this live London MultiChannel one if you don't have already?

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/1831

oh and this one, which is a Silverline..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Best-Of-DVD-AUDIO/dp/B000065AS0

Dude, just so this "Fragile" thing doesn't get out of control: I think most music fans would buy YES - Fragile in a heartbeat
(including myself). The crucial point is: There are so many other vital recordings that don't yet exist in discrete 5.1. Steven Wilson & a small amount of other audio professionals are doing all the 5.1 work, so titles trickle out at a slow pace. And frankly when a band starts to release 5.1 mixes, they invariably stop. So, if Fragile gets done first, there is a strong likely hood that another classic YES record will never get done!

I know some people don't like the earlier Fragile 5.1 mix. I love it. Though it is kinda traditional. Any 5.1 mix is one producer's opinion and there will always be lovers & haters of any particular remix. If we luckily get hundreds more of the classic recordings in 5.1 I should think we then could argue for better or different 5.1 versions.

What would be a disaster of epic proportions is 2 versions of Fragile at the expense of NEVER getting Tales or Relayer or GFTO.

yes.png

Slightly off-topic, but I had a look at the waveforms for the 5.1 mix of Fragile from 2001 (or thereabouts) and if you turn the center channel down by -3dB it sounds so much better. This makes the drums and bass guitar match their output levels with the front left and front right speakers and the soundstage is so much bigger and expansive as a result. Without the alteration the center channel is so dominant its like 45 minutes of AGHHHHHHHHHHHHBASS GUITAR BASS GUITAR SNARE DRUM SNARE DRUM BASS GUITAR BASS GUITAR SNARE DRUM SNARE DRUM AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH but once you tame that beast, the other speakers start to reveal themselves so much more.

I'm not saying the mix is perfect, because it really isn't...but turning that center speaker down helps.

Back