Yes - The Yes Album in 5.1 Surround DVD-A/BluRay in 2014

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I love it. Had a listen about 4 times now on the DTS-HD MA stream. So in addition to my earlier comments on the first track which is stand out in terms of the use of all the speakers, very adventurous mixing by SW; the second track Clap is a pseudo surround because the masters couldn't be found but anyway it's a live recording of an acoustic guitar track but I get a real sense of being at the concert. Third track, Starship trooper is more front biased but the last section Wurm has some interesting swaps of guitar and organ from front to back. The last track, Perpetual Change goes centre speaker entirely towards the end and then the sound builds to fill all the speakers and there is some nice use of the rears for the backing vocals.

Each instrument is very clear and can be picked out even in the noisy sections. I particularly like the bass playing which is almost like a lead guitar in its presence.

I don't know the album well enough to be an aficionado but it does sound very nice. You won't be disappointed.

HTH

Well, I love it. Had a listen about 4 times now on the DTS-HD MA stream. So in addition to my earlier comments on the first track which is stand out in terms of the use of all the speakers, very adventurous mixing by SW; the second track Clap is a pseudo surround because the masters couldn't be found but anyway it's a live recording of an acoustic guitar track but I get a real sense of being at the concert. Third track, Starship trooper is more front biased but the last section Wurm has some interesting swaps of guitar and organ from front to back. The last track, Perpetual Change goes centre speaker entirely towards the end and then the sound builds to fill all the speakers and there is some nice use of the rears for the backing vocals.

Each instrument is very clear and can be picked out even in the noisy sections. I particularly like the bass playing which is almost like a lead guitar in its presence.

I don't know the album well enough to be an aficionado but it does sound very nice. You won't be disappointed.

HTH

Oh man, the wait is killing me...

HTH

Thanks. Appetite whetted, patience engaged... Should be a lot of fun.

Got mine in the mail today. Just finishing up my first listen via DTS-HD MA. Standout tracks to my untrained ear are I've Seen All Good People and Perpetual Change. SW has really done a nice job with this release. It sounds so spacious and balanced. IMHO....better than CTTE.

McHoop

My amz uk order now says Preparing for Dispatch ... Total for this Delivery: £14.72
so should have it around the end of next week or so

the dollar is a bit weak vs. the pound right now

1.00 Pound Sterling equals

1.68 US Dollars

That's close to $25

Got mine in the mail today. Just finishing up my first listen via DTS-HD MA. Standout tracks to my untrained ear are I've Seen All Good People and Perpetual Change. SW has really done a nice job with this release. It sounds so spacious and balanced. IMHO....better than CTTE.

McHoop

Who did you order from?

Mine is on its way from Amazon UK together with Homo Erraticus, should be receiving them on Thursday but most likely no time to listen to it until next week :(

Interesting page in the booklet about system setup. I was wondering why it is recommended to set output to "pcm/auto" rather then "bitstream". Anyone explain? I tried the opus productions link given for more info but that didn't seem to work.

Interesting page in the booklet about system setup. I was wondering why it is recommended to set output to "pcm/auto" rather then "bitstream". Anyone explain? I tried the opus productions link given for more info but that didn't seem to work.

That is interesting.

I don't know why exactly they'd recommend it but from my understanding that would mean the Blu-ray player is doing the decoding rather than the pre-amp or receiver and I imagine a fair number of players may have superior DACs & decoders than most budget>mid-range receivers?

That's just my 2p., if Neil Wilkes has the time to chip in here you'll get a definitive answer :)

That is interesting.

I don't know why exactly they'd recommend it but from my understanding that would mean the Blu-ray player is doing the decoding rather than the pre-amp or receiver and I imagine a fair number of players may have superior DACs & decoders than most budget>mid-range receivers?

That's just my 2p., if Neil Wilkes has the time to chip in here you'll get a definitive answer :)
Yes when I swap to PCM on my Oppo I get the Multichannel In on the display rather than the DTS-HD MA stream. They are both outputting at about 10Mbps so I doubt it makes much difference, as fredblue says it depends whetheer you prefer your player or the AVR to do the DAC.

Yes that was my thoughts. I thought bitstream kept everything in its raw state and let the receiver do the processing rather than the blu ray player. I was impressed that Neil has gone for "headless operation", minimising the need for a monitor for playing the disc. The amount of thought that has gone into the authoring of this disc is first rate!

That is interesting.

Yes that was my thoughts. I thought bitstream kept everything in its raw state and let the receiver do the processing rather than the blu ray player. I was impressed that Neil has gone for "headless operation", minimising the need for a monitor for playing the disc. The amount of thought that has gone into the authoring of this disc is first rate!

He's a Hi-Res Surround Hero! We're very lucky to have him as a member here and anyone who's into surround music owes him a great debt, I reckon.

That's close to $25

If someone had told me a a few years back that I would pick this up in hi-res surround for $25 I would have called 'BS'. But wait, there's more (Yes albums)!

This SW mixed Yes album series is a dream come true.

Thanks to all involved in getting these released! I can't wait to whack this one on!

(Mine shipped from Amazon UK but at least another week before it will arrive here in AU....)

If someone had told me a a few years back that I would pick this up in hi-res surround for $25 I would have called 'BS'. But wait, there's more (Yes albums)!

Thanks to all involved in getting these released! I can't wait to whack this one on!

(Mine shipped from Amazon UK but at least another week before it will arrive here in AU....)

I certainly hope that won't damage the disc!

Couldn't help it as I've never heard that expression before :mad:@:

Quite, as you will hear when it arrives.

Listening to the MLP tracks on the DVD-A I have to say this remix takes things to the next level from an audiophile standpoint. For one thing I get to set my preamp's volume control well into the 60's (on a scale of 100) which I find is always a good thing. For another, the dynamics are closer to what I would expect from a symphonic recording than I have come to expect from popular music. Also a very good thing in my book. The EQ is just right too, crisp but not bright or shrill with punchy bass that does not over or underwhelm. The music itself is obviously of the highest caliber. I must say there are not many recordings I have listened to that got me as excited as this one did. Thank you all and especially thanks to Mr. Wilson, who seems to get better and better with every outing.

I'm reading now in other places that the next Yes in this series, previously expected to be Going for the One, is instead going to be another Yes album from the early 70's. Topographic perhaps? Someone on the SH forum has actually stated that Going for the One is not currently scheduled to be part of this series, I don't know how he knows that :(

Well, in his latest Facebook update, Steven Wilson said that he's working in the next Yes album from the 70s period, so I guess that rules our completely Going for the One as next in the series. Now we can speculate about which one from that era will be the next. Tales as you're suggesting?

Back