Yes - The Yes Album in 5.1 Surround DVD-A/BluRay in 2014

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could be wrong, but I took this as a joking reference to the delays we suffered through w/ CttE. Thus the winkie-face.

You're not wrong. Sorry, its my English sense of humour! And before anyone says anything, I'm not moaning at the delays, I'm just happy to get these at all :banana:

"...and an extended version of A Venture. "

Finally, I'll get to hear the electric guitar solo that is heard for an instant during the song's fade out! I've been waiting for this for years!

I'm surprised you didn't ask "what's the damn thing like?". Jon's probably heard it already with his testers hat on!

This is great news. Its release date has even leapt ahead of Brain Salad Surgery! Please God no delays this time, that was a killer with CTTE.

Hello m8,

I'm not worried about what it will be like.... It will ROCK!!!!!!!!!! TYA was recorded very well with tons of sweet & fat signal. I'm sure SW will hit this one out of the park!
Now: Relayer..... that is one I worry about how that will sound...

None of you jokers have said anything about the "live" bonus tracks... Doesn't that raise any curiosity???

FWIW.... I was playing GFTO over the weekend. That will be "unreal" if we get that masterpiece in SW/NW 5.1 lossless.

None of you jokers have said anything about the "live" bonus tracks... Doesn't that raise any curiosity???

"a complete alternate album running order drawn from live tracks, singles edits & an extended mix"

Presumably then no studio run through alternate versions, like on CTTE. I really enjoyed those.
Singles edits - nice as an inclusion as an extra, but not really if it replaces a full version in the "alternate album".
Extended mix - singular, might just be the extended A Venture, but it would be nice if it was something else in addition to this.
Live tracks - very interesting, hopefully versions from that period, that we've not heard before, and with excellent sound quality. I'm looking forward to this bit with much confidence. If the alternative version here of Starship Trooper is a bootleg of the Rabin band I will burst into tears, then eat my own arms off!

What are you hoping for here?

And yes I agree, the main course on this, the 5.1 TYA will indeed rock, and may well get another 10 from the English judges :cool:

"a complete alternate album running order drawn from live tracks, singles edits & an extended mix"
Live tracks - very interesting, hopefully versions from that period, that we've not heard before, and with excellent sound quality. I'm looking forward to this bit with much confidence. If the alternative version here of Starship Trooper is a bootleg of the Rabin band I will burst into tears, then eat my own arms off!

What are you hoping for here?

Maybe there's more audio from the July 17, 1970 concert, the one where "The Clap" was recorded.
The Forgotten Yesterdays page shows that "Yours Is No Disgrace" and "I've Seen All Good People" were also played that night.
I think there's no doubt though that the live audio will come from that period.

Now here's one I've been waiting a long time for........Looking fwd to this release and will now order the blu ray version from the "shed" immediately!

.......@Jon: Where's the damn poll for this thing?

Hi Dennis,

You can be sure there will be a poll for this. However, not until it's released and "out there". You would be surprised how many people actually vote BEFORE a title gets out to the marketplace, or before they even hear it, just because they want to.

Then again, you might not be surprised! :)

Anything can happen around this place. :mad:@:

Hi Dennis,

You can be sure there will be a poll for this. However, not until it's released and "out there". You would be surprised how many people actually vote BEFORE a title gets out to the marketplace, or before they even hear it, just because they want to.

Hi Jon :),

I was just being "Dennis Moore" when I asked where is the poll. (y)

But clearly, this is YES and it is a SW/NW lossless production so it no doubt be a 10. :cool:

In my defense, I only vote automatic 10 when it is YES AND 5.1 lossless, and it actually ends up being a 10, strange how that works. :rolleyes:

@Jon, thanks again for all you do here. (y) :banana:

@Colsky: What I am looking for is more live YES music. Out-takes or early mixes don't do it for me. I am hoping there are some good unreleased live stuff available. The fidelity of "Clap" from TYA is great, I would love to hear any other YES songs from that recording!

Confession to the group: If we continue to get more classic YES in 5.1 and then ELP - Trilogy, that will mean we have all the classic prog of YES-ELP & Genesis in full discrete 5.1. That would be amazing. (y) Something when I bought ELP - BSS back in 2002, I never thought we would have.

Hi Dennis,

You see? Dennis has already voted for the next 2 years. :)

What I am looking for is more live YES music. Out-takes or early mixes don't do it for me. I am hoping there are some good unreleased live stuff available. The fidelity of "Clap" from TYA is great, I would love to hear any other YES songs from that recording!

I would die for good live stuff from Time And A Word.
If there is anything on it I will give a 10. :)

You see? Dennis has already voted for the next 2 years. :)

My interpretation of the above:

"Dennis, you can't vote for a disc that you haven't heard yet, especially one that isn't even out yet!" - Jon :chill

"But I've already heard it…IN MY MIND!" - Dennis :ugham:

haha, cheers, Dennis! :friday:

"The Yes Album", along with "Trilogy" and "A Passion Play" are definitely my most anticipated releases of the year, so I'm just excited for all these classic prog releases as you are, and surely they will live up to the hype! :worthy

Hi Jon :),

Confession to the group: If we continue to get more classic YES in 5.1 and then ELP - Trilogy, that will mean we have all the classic prog of YES-ELP & Genesis in full discrete 5.1. That would be amazing. (y) Something when I bought ELP - BSS back in 2002, I never thought we would have.

(y) Good point Dennis...It sure has been a long, frustrating at times, surround sound road since my 1st DVD-A purchase which was ELP's BSS in '02. How many times did we have to put up with release date delays, disc defects etc over the years of these formats??? It 's been worth it tho, especially when you 'hear' a well done surround mix.
I sure hope we do get ELP's Trilogy in 5.1 this year.
I know its being discussed in another thread but I just ordered one of my 5.1 'wish list' albums...."The Yes Album" which I've been waiting forever for! I sure hope Steve Wilson got 'adventurous' with the surround mix on this one...Its a perfect album for it!!! I would even welcome "Tales From Topo Oceans" in surround even tho I'm not a huge fan of it. I think a good exciting surround mix of this album would make it quite a good listening experience!

(y) Good point Dennis...It sure has been a long, frustrating at times, surround sound road since my 1st DVD-A purchase which was ELP's BSS in '02. How many times did we have to put up with release date delays, disc defects etc over the years of these formats??? It 's been worth it tho, especially when you 'hear' a well done surround mix.
I sure hope we do get ELP's Trilogy in 5.1 this year.
I know its being discussed in another thread but I just ordered one of my 5.1 'wish list' albums...."The Yes Album" which I've been waiting forever for! I sure hope Steve Wilson got 'adventurous' with the surround mix on this one...Its a perfect album for it!!! I would even welcome "Tales From Topo Oceans" in surround even tho I'm not a huge fan of it. I think a good exciting surround mix of this album would make it quite a good listening experience!

Hi Tim:)

Sounds like you have been doing the prog thing right for many years, I'm just sorry to hear you are doing it in New Jersey. :mad:@: (Only kidding, I did time there, best place in the world for food: Pizza, Cheesesteaks, Deli sandwhiches...etc...)

I saw YES & ELP at MSG in 1977, great area for prog!

I'm replying based on your hopes for an adventurous TYA mix. This struck a chord, since my ears have told me for years that bands like YES & ELP had so many layers of discrete musical lines/tracks to their music they had been mixing in surround from the beginning, obvioulsy though they were restrained into doing it in 2.0. So TYA should flow into 5.1 quite nicely even with the most modest of mixing. I am thinking in particular of all the different guitar lines in YIND or all the vocal harmonies in Starship Trooper. Tony Kaye did some great organ work on TYA, and that should really come out in the 5.1 mix. Although Starship Trooper & YIND & Perpetual Change were redefined on YESSONGS, there is still tons of YES magic to be brought out in this 5.1 mix. For me, I love all YES equal from 1969 to 1980 so I would like all that to come out
in 5.1, in whatever order happens. As far as 5.1 goes, I guess I mean to say that any classic YES recording would flow in 5.1 quite naturally & easily.

I can't wait. Going For The One is the 5.1 mix that may neighbors will really hate me for. :yikes

My interpretation of the above:

"Dennis, you can't vote for a disc that you haven't heard yet, especially one that isn't even out yet!"

"But I've already heard it…IN MY MIND!" - Dennis :ugham:

haha, cheers, Dennis! :friday:

"The Yes Album", along with "Trilogy" and "A Passion Play" are definitely my most anticipated releases of the year, so I'm just excited for all these classic prog releases as you are, and surely they will live up to the hype! :worthy

Allow me to address your points in order:

I can't vote if I don't have a poll to vote in, yes? This is basic logic like one would learn from watching Star Trek, for example...

Yes, but I am not the only one here who has "heard" in their minds how great the next YES record will be in discrete 5.1. Care to look in the mirror?:yikes

Trilogy is what is driving me crazy. Hearing Carl Palmer's negative comments about the 5.1 mixing has me paranoid that the ELP 5.1 project will stop after BSS. We simply must have Trilogy in 5.1. The Endless Enigma, Trilogy, Hoedown & Abaddon's Bolero are so incredibly dense with so much brilliant composing, this may be the most dramatic ELP 5.1 result. I would argue BSS is their best recording, though I believe Trilogy in 5.1 will be the most revelatory and satisfying 5.1 experience.

Goes without saying, I will buy the 3 you mention immediately and I will probably buy three copies of Trilogy.

Cheers! :D

The Yes Album is one of my nostalgic favourites. Yours is no Disgrace, The Clap, I've Seen All Good People....great classic yes tracks.

I love how Yes concerts (at least the 2 that I've been to) start off with Yours is no Disgrace.

TYA is a bit more "raw" than the albums that follow it, so it will be interesting to see what Steven W. has done with it. Can't wait.

Hi Tim:)

Sounds like you have been doing the prog thing right for many years, I'm just sorry to hear you are doing it in New Jersey. :mad:@: (Only kidding, I did time there, best place in the world for food: Pizza, Cheesesteaks, Deli sandwhiches...etc...)

I'm sorry, but you are obviously confusing NJ w/ Philly. The best Italian fast-food anywhere. Philly cheesesteaks rule.

I saw YES & ELP at MSG in 1977, great area for prog!

It is a great area, including Philly. I saw Yes, ELP, Genesis and Floyd at the Spectrum in '77.

I'm replying based on your hopes for an adventurous TYA mix. This struck a chord, since my ears have told me for years that bands like YES & ELP had so many layers of discrete musical lines/tracks to their music they had been mixing in surround from the beginning, obvioulsy though they were restrained into doing it in 2.0. So TYA should flow into 5.1 quite nicely even with the most modest of mixing. I am thinking in particular of all the different guitar lines in YIND or all the vocal harmonies in Starship Trooper. Tony Kaye did some great organ work on TYA, and that should really come out in the 5.1 mix. Although Starship Trooper & YIND & Perpetual Change were redefined on YESSONGS, there is still tons of YES magic to be brought out in this 5.1 mix. For me, I love all YES equal from 1969 to 1980 so I would like all that to come out
in 5.1, in whatever order happens. As far as 5.1 goes, I guess I mean to say that any classic YES recording would flow in 5.1 quite naturally & easily.

I can't wait. Going For The One is the 5.1 mix that may neighbors will really hate me for. :yikes

I agree w/ your thoughts and am really looking forward to TYA. Not on pins and needles like I was for CttE, but really psyched for this- and what follows.

I'm curious what's after TYA, since SW told us it will be after CttE. That leaves 3 maybe 4 if you consider Tormato in the running (an unlikely choice imo), w/ GftO being a front-runner (It would complete the trilogy that the band played in concert and it would also compete w/ the SH re-mastered sacd sooner rather than later). I really don't care, get the best stuff first or save it for last. It's a great time to be a MCH Prog-head.

I'm sorry, but you are obviously confusing NJ w/ Philly. The best Italian fast-food anywhere. Philly cheesesteaks rule.

It is a great area, including Philly. I saw Yes, ELP, Genesis and Floyd at the Spectrum in '77.

I agree w/ your thoughts and am really looking forward to TYA. Not on pins and needles like I was for CttE, but really psyched for this- and what follows.

I'm curious what's after TYA, since SW told us it will be after CttE. That leaves 3 maybe 4 if you consider Tormato in the running (an unlikely choice imo), w/ GftO being a front-runner (It would complete the trilogy that the band played in concert and it would also compete w/ the SH re-mastered sacd sooner rather than later). I really don't care, get the best stuff first or save it for last. It's a great time to be a MCH Prog-head.

Italian fast-food???:mad:@: You mean like The Burger King Chicken Parm sandwhich? :rolleyes: No thanks.

Ok, m8, I'd be happy to engage in some good natured ribbing, in particular, noting those convicted criminals that pose as an NHL team(The Flyers) or the worst fans in the NFL who like to throw ice rocks at officials and boo players with serious neck injuries(Eagles game versus Micheal Irvin...). I simply will not. You are too fine a gentleman and Philly has indeed been the cradle for Progressive music, with Philly's WMMR leading the way...so... I will just offer some true facts:

The best cheese steak I ever had was in California:mad:@:(The Cheese Steak Shop) there are three of them and they make cheese steaks the old way, with lots of mushrooms and slices of real cheese and a sweet fluffy yet chewey bun! Check them out: http://www.cheesesteakshop.com/index.htm. It is actually hard to find a real authentic Cheese Steak in Jersey or Philly that doesn't use that liquid cheese spread product now-a-days.

CS.jpg

Next: I am quite jeleous yet happy for you that you also saw Genesis & Floyd in 77. I was 15, with very conservative parents, so it was a miracle I was allowed to go into NYC to see YES & then ELP a few weeks later. I think it was cause ELP had an orchestra, so that was good "culture" for me. My fav Genesis is exactlly the '77 period, so that must have been amazing. I did get to see the original 4 of PF perform The Wall on Long Island in 1980. (y)

About YES, I know you really dig CTTE, so do I, but I must say I am on pins & needles waiting for ALL the classis YES to come out on 5.1. YES truly progressed with each offering, making ALL their recordings necessary! I think it's obvious that GFTO will be next, since they are touring those three(TYA,CTTE,GFTO) and SH rushed out its GFTO in 2.0.(for marketing reasons) So I don't think there will be any surprise about the next YES in 5.1. I do PRAY to all the Gods that exist that we continue to get more YES after that. I will not be at peace until at least all from TYA to Drama come on in 5.1. The 1st two YES records would be a dream come true if SW has the energy to do those.

After further investigation of the 5.1 remixing world, at large, it looks like SW & Jakko are almost single-handedly keeping us going...

Back