Doors Help Needed

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PK

900 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Looking for suggestions on which version of the Doors releases to buy. Too many to get my head wrapped around. Hopefully you can point me in the right direction if there is one. Correct me if I'm wrong but it appears that my choices are:
  • Perception Box 2006
  • Perception Box 2008
  • Infinite Box 2013
  • A combination of single discs from either the Infinite Box, the 2011 Warner SACD re-issue of The Doors, and/or the 2000 DVD-A of L.A. Woman

Also, are the 2014 "Made in Austria" releases referred to in the Hi-Rez poll from the Infinite Box?

Thanks in advance!:mad:@::mad:@:

Looking for suggestions on which version of the Doors releases to buy. Too many to get my head wrapped around. Hopefully you can point me in the right direction if there is one. Correct me if I'm wrong but it appears that my choices are:
  • Perception Box 2006
  • Perception Box 2008
  • Infinite Box 2013
  • A combination of single discs from either the Infinite Box, the 2011 Warner SACD re-issue of The Doors, and/or the 2000 DVD-A of L.A. Woman

Also, are the 2014 "Made in Austria" releases referred to in the Hi-Rez poll from the Infinite Box?

Thanks in advance!:mad:@::mad:@:

As far as overall quality and price point, the best option would be to find the 2008 Perception Box for as good a price as possible. There is no difference in content (pretty sure) between the 2006 and 2008 box sets.
With the 2013 SACD box set, you lose the bonus tracks and videos, plus the SACDs are probably sourced from the 2006 PCM masters.

And I definitely wouldn't advise buying the 1st album for its surround mix, cause there's not much surround to it. Thankfully, all of the others are significantly better from a mix perspective.

Also, be very careful of Perception sets originating in China/Hong Kong - lots of knockoffs circulating. If you get this in time there is a new Perception set on ebay expiring in 8 minutes that is at $75...

As far as overall quality and price point, the best option would be to find the 2008 Perception Box for as good a price as possible. There is no difference in content (pretty sure) between the 2006 and 2008 box sets.
With the 2013 SACD box set, you lose the bonus tracks and videos, plus the SACDs are probably sourced from the 2006 PCM masters.

IIRC The Surround is taken from the 2006 5.1 PCM mix, however the Stereo on the SACDs is taken directly from the original masters, i.e. not the 2006 PCM re-mix.

I'd recommend the 2008 re-issue also...

If anyone has the Infinite version of "The Doors" I have a question. Does the stereo Light My Fire play slow or at the revised correct speed?

I bought this set on ebay a few months ago, and it was listed as dvd audio but it was not. It is still a 5.1 mix but not the quality of dvd audio. It still sounds good, but not as good as it could. I got mine from a Chinese seller for like $48 but discovered the inferior quality (not bad but not great) and filed a complaint since it was advertised as dvd audio and I didnt get that. He offered a partial refund but I refused saying I wanted what was listed and eventually got it for free. Cant complain for that price, but still you have to watch out for the not so good surround. Again, mine doesnt sound bad, but definitely not as good as dvd audio potential.

If you are gonna buy the Perception Box off Ebay or anywhere, it is best to go with the first Pressing with the door peephole look thru thing........the second pressing with just the smaller box is too easy to be counterfeit especially from China. Just like blrac, there are probably a lot of people that bought the counterfeits and try to resell them. Perhaps they do not even know it is counterfeit.

Look for the first pressing big box with peephole........you will be happy :51banana:

might have have to pay up to 100 bux or more :rolleyes:

I bought this set on ebay a few months ago, and it was listed as dvd audio but it was not. It is still a 5.1 mix but not the quality of dvd audio. It still sounds good, but not as good as it could. I got mine from a Chinese seller for like $48 but discovered the inferior quality (not bad but not great) and filed a complaint since it was advertised as dvd audio and I didnt get that. He offered a partial refund but I refused saying I wanted what was listed and eventually got it for free. Cant complain for that price, but still you have to watch out for the not so good surround. Again, mine doesnt sound bad, but definitely not as good as dvd audio potential.

http://www.amazon.com/Perception-6C...93826925&sr=1-1&keywords=the+doors+perception

$150-$200 seems to be the best price for a new box. These days box sets are issued as a limited edition and it pays to get them early. Look at the cost of Allman Brothers - Brothers & Sisters Deluxe Edition is going for now, only 6 months after it was issued.
Anything from China is not genuine. Unless it is sold by expat etc. i have worked in China and know all too well how their pirating of movies and music works.

Anything from China is not genuine. Unless it is sold by expat etc. i have worked in China and know all too well how their pirating of movies and music works.

And yet here we are prosecuting those who trade OOP stuff privately, yet still do nothing to stop Chinese bootleggers on every street corner "you want DVD?" and the avalanche of counterfeits & fakes being sold online through legitimate front companies like eBay & Amazon is astounding. I remember buying bootlegs primarily at record fairs way back when - nowadays you can search online & find them everywhere.
Yet the consumers are still the ones treated as the criminals!!!!!

My 2 cents: I bought Perception the first day it was on the street. So, it has a peephole. If you're inclined to buy the DVD-A, Snood's advice makes sense: pay a bit more, but be sure it's real. If the sound of the 2ch CD is what matters, buy the SACD's. If you're mostly concerned with 5.1 fidelity, buy the GENUINE Perception. Although I haven't a/b'ed them, I'd expect the DVD-A to sound better, since it's a higher tech format.

No matter what, there is some fantastic music here. That's a given.
ajax_stronger_than_dirt_1960s_remake-70140.jpg

If anyone has the Infinite version of "The Doors" I have a question. Does the stereo Light My Fire play slow or at the revised correct speed?

It is the slow 7:10 length as compared to the multi-channel 7:00 length. On the DVD-A, both the hi-rez stereo and the multi-channel version are 7:00, though the CD in the Perception set has the slow version. So, it looks like the Infinite version is using the CD mix for stereo and the DVD-A mix for the multi-channel; which makes sense on an SACD. I think this lines up with what LK was saying about the 5.1 being from the 2006 PCM and the stereo being from the original masters.

It is the slow 7:10 length as compared to the multi-channel 7:00 length. On the DVD-A, both the hi-rez stereo and the multi-channel version are 7:00, though the CD in the Perception set has the slow version. So, it looks like the Infinite version is using the CD mix for stereo and the DVD-A mix for the multi-channel; which makes sense on an SACD. I think this lines up with what LK was saying about the 5.1 being from the 2006 PCM and the stereo being from the original masters.
I would have preferred they had used the pitch control while playing the original master to speed that one up. Years ago I had a CD player with a pitch control, but haven't seen one on a SACD player.

Back