Quad LP/Tape Poll Winter, Edgar, Group: Shock Treatment [SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate Shock Treatment

• 10: Great sound, mix, content

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 3 37.5%

Votes: 5 62.5%

• 5: Mediocrity Central

• 1: Sux

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Epic PEQ 32461, from 1974.

Side 1:

Some Kinda Animal
Easy Street
Sundown
Miracle of Love
Do Like Me

Side 2:

Rock & Roll Woman
Someone Take My Heart Away
Queen of My Dreams
Maybe Someday You'll Call My Name
River's Risin'
Animal

ED :)

Thanks for the Poll Ed!

This is both wonderful material and a wonderful mix. There is a sense of adventure in both the material and mix. I gave it a conservative 8.

The least adventurous of the Edgar Winter Quads from a mix point of view, imho.. but the material is pretty strong in places and eclectic as ever.. love "Easy Street", "Sundown", Miracle Of Love" and "Someone Take My Heart Away", "Maybe Someday You'll Call My Name", "Rivers Risin" are solid.. a prime candidate for AF Surround SACD imho, its overdue a reappraisal.. though as QL says a bit bass-shy, I've always found the stereo similarly bright and lacking in low end so might be inherent in the recording..? The Quad "as is" (I own the SQ and have heard the Q8) gets a "7" from me.

got me thinking.. my "7" vote on here a couple of years ago maybe was a bit harsh.. I'd possibly give this an "8" if voting today.. fresh from the Quad master tapes who knows it may even nudge into "9" territory.. the unreleased White Trash, They Only Come Out At Night, EWG w/Rick Derringer & Jasmine Nightdreams are all better Quads than this but there's some real gems on here. It's frustratingly bonkers none of the Edgar Winter/Johnny Winter/Rick Derringer Quads have been reissued since the DTS CD of Jasmine Nightdreams, they're all deserving of a reappraisal imho, including this one and are all very good from
a surround point of view.

Not my favorite EWG album, either. Still worth an occasional listen, but not a "go-to" like TOCOAN or Jasmine Nightdreams, never mind White Trash.

I've heard both UnderMyWheels' SQ decode and a Q8 conversion, and I agree with @Quad Linda and @fredblue that the whole production needs a low-end boost. And while I generally like "bright," this album is downright brittle. 5 for the sound.

Mix: I haven't carefully compared the matrix and discrete versions, but either way: Don Young working under Harold J. Kleiner--you'd think it would be aces. But it doesn't even have that many face cards; just a middling hand. 7 there.

Content: Some good variety here, but starting with the opening cut, it veers too frequently into "hard rock" territory for my tastes. (If you're a Derringer fan--I'm not--you'll especially like "Queen of My Dreams.") "Miracle of Love" is vaguely proggy; "Rock and Roll Woman" faintly recalls "Free Ride";"Do Like Me" is bar-blues with a hint of "Frankenstein; "Someone Take My Heart Away" has EW channeling Todd Rundgren and "Animal" (not to be confused with "Some Kinda Animal"), Jimi Hendrix; "River's Risin" is a chugging anthem with a psychedelic interlude. 7.5.

A weak "7" seems about right. But despite my misgivings, if Dutton did it, I'd buy it. Edgar Winter fans: come out and vote for this album!

Last edited:
On the material, I recall reading a review when this was first released that said that Dan Hartman and Ricky D. had several songs ready to go, but Edgar didn't so that's why they feature in the titles here. I like both of them just as much as EW, so its fine by me, although Hartman can be a little too pop and Rick is definitely harder rock. Edgar's jazzy side is pretty much absent. But as a pop album, I have always loved it.
On the mix, i had the Q8 first and later the SQ. There's no bass on either. Never heard the stereo so can't say on that. This is frustrating particularly as I play it through a Tate, which can make this more pronounced with its tendency towards a slightly brittle sound. FYI I get around this by using a pair of tube power amps. The quad mix in the Q8 is very lively and discrete. Very satisfactory. The SQ even through a Tate is mixed. Some tracks work well and some seem to blur too much. Definitely prefer the Q8 mix, although sadly my Q8s have pretty much all locked up so I am vinyl only for some time. Solid 8.

Edgar Winter - Shock Treatment.jpeg

Back