DVDA Math: 2.3 + 2.3 = 8?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wagonmaster_91

701 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
I have very little experience making DVD-A (usually do DTS discs) so maybe my question has an obvious answer that I am just missing. I DL'ed a double album that was in the form of two DVD-Audio ISO files, one for each disc. Both ISOs are aprrox 2.3Gs each. It would seem to me that 2.3G + 2.3G = 4.6G and that the total program should be able to fit on one 4.7G disc.

To test my theory, I extracted the ISOs using MagicISO, each to a separate folder. Then, using DVDA Explorer I extracted the six wave files for all the songs on each disc and put them in new folders, again one for each disc. Next, I renamed the files using Channel Rename to prepare them for use in HD-Audio Solo. (This was a 3 step process due to the differing naming schemes used by the previous programs, but easy none the less.)

With the channels renamed, I assembled a layout in HD-Audio Solo of all the songs from both folders. I checked to make sure I had all the DVDA settings correct and proceeded to write a new ISO. The program immediately gave me a warning that I had exceeded the maximum size for a DVDA by over 4,000MBs.

At this point I figured that I just cut it too close, knowing you can't totally use all 4.7G on a blank DVD disc for data - some has to be reserved for essential files (headroom) to make the disc work. HD-AS gave me the option of continuing anyway, so just to see how close I came to getting the entire program I let HD-AS go ahead and create the ISO image. To my surprise, the resulting ISO is nearly 8Gs! I didn't add any pictures or fancy menus or change the sampling rate (88k) or bit rate (24b) at any point in the process. How did it grow so large? Did I miss a step in the process?

Single Layer DVD holds about 4.3GB. Also if the ISO'are are DVDA rips, then they are most likely MLP compressed. When you extract to WAV files, they are uncompressed (like unzipping a zip file). DVD HD solo will NOT compress the files, so it will create DVD'A's using LPCM instead of MLP compression. So your 2.3GB ISO when extracted to WAV probably became close to 4GB.

A_L

I'll just confirm and agree with A_L and add that if the ISO is an 88.2K/24bit DVD-A, then it must be MLP encoded to fit in the 9.6Mbit/sec maximum bit rate for DVD-A players. Without MLP 88.2K/24bit would be 88.2Kbps*24b*6 channels = 12.7008Mbit/sec bit rate which must be losslessly compressed by MLP to fit the 9.6Mbit/sec maximum.

Thanks for the replies. That makes sense. I knew there must be a compression step in there somewhere. So, do I need to take the extracted wav files and run them through Surcode MPL Encoder and then into HD-Audio Solo to make my new ISO?

Thanks for the replies. That makes sense. I knew there must be a compression step in there somewhere. So, do I need to take the extracted wav files and run them through Surcode MPL Encoder and then into HD-Audio Solo to make my new ISO?

I don't think you can use MLP encoded files in HD-Audio Solo ....

You need an authoring tool such as Discwelder Chrome which does support MLP.

I just realized that and was coming back to edit my post. Could I use ImgBurn to create an ISO using the resulting MPL files or are the files not yet in the format a DVD-A player needs to see?

ImgBurn will not do it. You need something that works with MLP encoded files. DiscWelder Chrome does it and I believe some other pricey pro level apps will do it.

Back