New Blow by Blow Multichannel SACD in Japan

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
To celebrate his first Japanese tour in 4 years, Sony Music Japan is releasing a 40th Anniversary Edition of Jeff Beck's classic album "Blow by Blow" in Multichannel SACD.

Blow by Blow by guitarist Jeff Beck was issued in the U.S. in two Single Layer SACD versions: a Single Layer Stereo SACD and later as a Single Layer Multichannel SACD. Both are out of print.
This new Japanese release will be a Hybrid Layer Multichannel SACD in a Digipak.

The SACD Special Limited Edition is scheduled for release on March 26, 2014 and can be pre-ordered at CD Japan for $48.40.
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/EICP-10001

It is a Limited Edition pressing, so you'll want to order early to be sure you don't miss it.
I have the original US Multichannel SACD and would recommend it.

Jeff Beck SACD - EICP-10001_ADD.jpg
Blow by Blow, 40th Anniversary Special Limited Edition - Jeff Beck (Hybrid Multichannel SACD, Sony Music Japan International EICP-10001)

Is it a new 5.1 remix or the old repurposed quad mix that's on the US SACDs?

Is it a new 5.1 remix or the old repurposed quad mix that's on the US SACDs?

The only info I've seen on it is the CD Japan listing. I'm guessing it's the 4.0 Quad Mix that appears on the original Multichannel SACD.
Time will tell.

RE: The Japanese Blow by Blow re-issue - A quote from another forum:

I asked Sony Japan about the master of this SACD.

They say it is same as 2001 Remaster. (no new 5.1 mix, no new remaster 2ch)

CD is 04 remaster.

I've always felt that the quad mix used on the SACD had the front and back channels reversed. I always listen with the front and back channels swapped which Jeff upfront where he belongs. Great album.

I've always felt that the quad mix used on the SACD had the front and back channels reversed. I always listen with the front and back channels swapped which Jeff upfront where he belongs. Great album.

And then follow it up with a playing of A Space In Time before swapping the channels back.

I'll pass on A Space In Time. I have it and never play it. I find all the DTS surrounds I have lacking sonically Dolby is even worse. Give me SACD or DVDA but never Dolby or DTS surround.

The new Hybrid Multichannel SACD edition of Blow by Blow by guitarist Jeff Beck was released this week. It comes in a large 7" by 7" paperboard sleeve and includes the posters shown at the top of this thread.
If you didn't get a chance to pick this up in the early days of Super Audio CD when it was out in the U.S. as a Single Layer Stereo SACD and later as a Single Layer Multichannel SACD, it's worth nabbing at CD Japan.

Blow by Blow - Anniversary Edition - 250w.jpg
Blow by Blow: Multichannel Hybrid Edition - Jeff Beck (Hybrid Multichannel SACD, Sony Music Japan International, Epic EICP-10001)
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/EICP-10001

And if it's the quad mix again on SACD, then where's "Wired"? Willing wallets wanna know.

It is the 4.0 Quad Mix from the original edition of the Multichannel SACD of Blow by Blow.

Where is Wired? Hmm, was there a DSD edition of Wired done by Sony Music?

It is the 4.0 Quad Mix from the original edition of the Multichannel SACD of Blow by Blow.

Where is Wired? Hmm, was there a DSD edition of Wired done by Sony Music?

No, but there was a quad mix done. I have the quad 8-track of it, but I want the hi-res version. Why all the love for "Blow by Blow", but none shown for "Wired"?

No, but there was a quad mix done. I have the quad 8-track of it, but I want the hi-res version. Why all the love for "Blow by Blow", but none shown for "Wired"?

If the Quad tapes are still in the company's library, it's a possibility.

And if it's the quad mix again on SACD, then where's "Wired"? Willing wallets wanna know.

Hear hear! (y)

Blow by Blow may be OOP but it's not super rare like some of those Sony M/C single layers, if someone really wants it they can do what me and a load of people did after it went OOP - go hunt for it! :p

I know its not as popular as BxB but its time Wired got the same treatment, it's just as great.. instead of BxB for the 4th time on SACD (1. Stereo SACD, 2. Single Layer MC/St SACD, 3. Hybrid SACD, 4. 2014 reissue). I love the album and the Q8 mix has great fidelity for the format but a new Hi-Rez t/fer from the Quad master = yes, please that'd be the ticket!

interesting.. I just presumed the channels were the right way round and it was one of those crazy back to front Quads!? :eek:

Hear hear! (y)

Blow by Blow may be OOP but it's not super rare like some of those Sony M/C single layers, if someone really wants it they can do what me and a load of people did after it went OOP - go hunt for it! :p

I know its not as popular as BxB but its time Wired got the same treatment, it's just as great.. instead of BxB for the 4th time on SACD (1. Stereo SACD, 2. Single Layer MC/St SACD, 3. Hybrid SACD, 4. 2014 reissue). I love the album and the Q8 mix has great fidelity for the format but a new Hi-Rez t/fer from the Quad master = yes, please that'd be the ticket!

Well, we know that Audio Fidelity is exploring adding Surround Sound tracks to their SACD releases. That might be an opportunity to see an album like Wired reissued in Multichannel. Assuming, of course, the Quad Master Tapes are still available from the Sony Music vaults.

Well, we know that Audio Fidelity is exploring adding Surround Sound tracks to their SACD releases. That might be an opportunity to see an album like Wired reissued in Multichannel. Assuming, of course, the Quad Master Tapes are still available from the Sony Music vaults.

Oh yes yes yes...!!!!!! YESSSSSS!!! I'm keeping everything crossed Audio Fidelity come up with the goods! I trust them to do it right :)

That is an expensive limited Japanese edition! However, besides that, is the concern about reversed fronts and backs. has anyone ever compared the SQ album to the sacd? May not be definitive if the SQ is also claimed to be in error........

That is an expensive limited Japanese edition! However, besides that, is the concern about reversed fronts and backs. has anyone ever compared the SQ album to the sacd? May not be definitive if the SQ is also claimed to be in error........

Blow by Blow was one of the Surround SACDs where the Quad Analog Tapes were used for the Multichannel SACD version of the album. So the channel placements on both versions of the album should be the same.

Blow by Blow was one of the Surround SACDs where the Quad Analog Tapes were used for the Multichannel SACD version of the album. So the channel placements on both versions of the album should be the same.

V.true, unfortunately Sony screwed up the channel placement (rears swapped) on both the O'Jays and Isley Brothers Quads when they reissued them on MultiChannel SACD, so anything is possible with BxB.

Back