HiRez Poll Color of Sound - MUSEUM OF OUTDOOR ARTS [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of COLOR OF SOUND - Museum of Outdoor Arts

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Content, Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2011 special 5.1 SACD release from the Museum of Outdoor Arts.

A musical ensemble made up of Kimba Arem, Jesse Manno, Beth Quist, Michael Stanwood and Kailin Yong interprets various colors with a wide variety of musical instruments and voice.

To read more about this disc, check out the info on their website at: http://moaonline.org/color-of-sound/
Cost of the disc directly from the MOA is $10, for those interested in purchasing the disc.

This disc was discovered by QQ Member "Fourplay" who will be offering a copy as an upcoming QQ Door prize drawing.

He wrote: Here is an excerpt from the site describing the composition process: "The invited musicians intuitively responded to the color and its gradations, inventing the music as it came to them. Using exotic instruments such as a didgeridoo, zither and an ocarina, each musician offered a unique one-of-a-kind contribution to this distinctive musical score."

The music is probably closest in label to "New Age," and is generally relaxing and atmospheric. The surround mix is what I would call discrete but static. In other words, the mixer does not move elements around, but rather tends to reproduce the 3D space within which the music was recorded live. I do enjoy the disc and wanted to draw attention to it, since most have probably never heard of it.

Attachments

• Color of Sound Front 600.jpg
    Color of Sound Front 600.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 144
  • Color of Sound Back 600.jpg
    Color of Sound Back 600.jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 148
  • Color of Sound Face 600.jpg
    Color of Sound Face 600.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 145
I couldn't find an obvious way to purchase this online via the site.... :rolleyes:

How/where do you purchase this?

Hmm, yet another DSD Pure Hybrid Multichannel SACD recorded at Immersive Studios on the Sonoma DSD Workstation. They're popping up left and right these days!
For $9.99, I'll definitely pick up a copy.

I've been listening to this SACD now and I have to admit, it's kinda "cool". Very hard to describe. Think of it as ambient music, something that fills the room with sounds but in a very un-annoying way. The surround field is excellent and it sounds crystal clear. I would say that some of you will think it's weird, as it's no "Close to the Edge", but there is something that is quite soothing to it. Again, very hard to describe. There are no songs in the standard sense of the word "song", more like its title. Sounds.

Hard to vote on as well. In some ways, it's a perfect atmosphere disc for when your reading or working on your laptop. You really don't have to pay close attention, but it's so ethereal your brain will know it's listening. It's incredibly relaxing to listen to.

I have to say, "I like it"! Hey, for $10, what have you got to lose?

Thanks for mentioning this one. For years I've enjoyed Brian Eno's Thursday Afternoon during a variety of activities. equally good for study or a nap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey All,

I have copied some of my notes from the "door prize" thread for those who find this thread but not the other:

This is a live recording of improvised music that was produced in association with an art installation at the MOA gallery in Englewood, Colorado in 2010. Here is a link to the associated website:

http://www.moaonline.org/color-of-sound/

Here is an excerpt from the site describing the composition process: "The invited musicians intuitively responded to the color and its gradations, inventing the music as it came to them. Using exotic instruments such as a didgeridoo, zither and an ocarina, each musician offered a unique one-of-a-kind contribution to this distinctive musical score."

The music is probably closest in label to "New Age," and is generally relaxing and atmospheric. The surround mix is what I would call discrete but static. In other words, the mixer does not move elements around, but rather tends to reproduce the 3D space within which the music was recorded live. I do enjoy the disc and wanted to draw attention to it, since most have probably never heard of it.

Here is a YouTube clip that is synced with the art installation featuring a low-res sample of the music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy0Cldt2-tA

Here is a short and rather choppy video of the setup of the recording space: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ0ZQ4FzkFc but this video does not feature a sample of the music.

So full disclosure: I know several people who are involved in this project, so I may have a bias.

I enjoy this music very much, although I don't recall humming any themes from the recording. This is pleasant ambient music captured in high fidelity. While I do prefer an active mix in my surround listening, I found this to be appropriate in its' representation of the room in three dimensions. There is no audience, so all channels are active with music.

I rate this a 9.

Ken

This is really a beautiful recording! As Jon and Ken have mentioned, it is New Age music. It is atmospheric and relaxing. When/if you are in the mood for such music, it is wonderful. The fidelity is exceptional. I enjoyed reading the brief poems that accompany with each track in the liner notes. It is interesting how the "sounds" really do go together with the "colors"!

The surround mix is nice. The sounds don't move around the space, but the rear speakers are well used. Ken's description is perfect, "discreet but static". I have found other surround mixes by Immersive Studios are the same.

I am very happy to have this disc in my collection. It is unique. For the price, I recommend it. Thanks again to Ken for offering a copy as a door prize!

I concur with the other posts here. This is an excellent 5.1 mix and excellent fidelity. Highly recommend.

Among other things that I liked, I found the use of the subwoofer to be what I would describe as the most tasteful use of the LFE channel that I have ever heard. My cut-off frequency is set at 75hz but there were, at times, long, sustainable notes coming from the sub and fitting perfectly into the mix. Not the boom, boom that one usually hears on other recordings. Whatever instrument it was producing those notes it sounded great.

Back