Janet Feder Multichannel SACD for $15 + Shipping

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
In addition to the Steven Vidaic album mentioned earlier here, there is another album available in Hybrid Multichannel SACD recorded on the 32 Track Sonoma DSD Workstation.
It features Prepared Guitarist Janet Feder with an album that has instrumental tracks and some with her vocals. The most notable one is a very interesting take on "Blowin' In The Wind".

Reviewer Paul Epstein says:

It’s not a surprise that Janet Feder’s musicianship is stunning - a completely original amalgam of traditional technique and avant-leaning accents. She can be favorably compared to Derek Bailey or John Fahey. It isn’t a surprise that her album Songs With Words is an audiophile’s dream: it is recorded in surround, using the Sonoma Super Audio system. Her albums always sound good, and she is a perfectionist in the live setting as well.
http://twistedspork.blogspot.com/search/label/Janet Feder

In the liner notes, Feder describes the album recording process:

What you're hearing was captured by 15 microphones surrounding me at Immersive Studios in Boulder, Colorado during a handful of days in September and October of 2010. Every song was recorded righteous: primary guitar, voice and piano tracks are all performed live, start to finish. There are no digital effects on this recording.

The music in SACD Surround is very clear and vivid. The piano, guitar and vocals have a "you are there" quality to them. Check the sound files to see if this Multichannel SACD is worth a spin.
It's an interesting one to be sure.

Available from the artist's Bandcamp web site on Hybrid Multichannel SACD for $15 + shipping and on Amazon.Com.

Songs With Words - 300.jpg
Songs With Words - Janet Feder (Hybrid Multichannel SACD, Janet Feder Music 8-03635-10102-5)
http://janetfeder.bandcamp.com/
http://www.amazon.com/Janet-Feder-Songs-Words-CD/dp/B00E445SQ4

Thanks. This is an odd sounding release. Very minimalist, but it appears to have tons of dynamic range. I was intrigued enough to order it. I found it on amazon.ca for about $17 shipped which avoided the high shipping charge to Canada from bandcamp.

I hope it has some good liner notes because I'd like to understand how all the different sounds are made.

Thanks. This is an odd sounding release. Very minimalist, but it appears to have tons of dynamic range. I was intrigued enough to order it. I found it on amazon.ca for about $17 shipped which avoided the high shipping charge to Canada from bandcamp.

I hope it has some good liner notes because I'd like to understand how all the different sounds are made.

You are right about the dynamic range on the Multichannel DSD mix. It's also impressive in terms of the clarity of the instruments and vocals.
It's a very well done demo album for Pure DSD recording with the Sonoma.

On the music, it's different - but that seems to be common among the Immersive Studios SACDs and DSD Downloads. Must be part of the Boulder music scene. :)
I had to look up "prepared guitar" on the Internet to learn more. Certainly a different take on things.

The SACD comes with a multi-fold insert that has the album credits and lyrics. Not a whole lot I'm afraid on how the sounds and effects were made.

Back