SACD's rebirth in Hong Kong

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do keep us posted...I'd be very interested in getting minty fresh copies of the Sara Brightman Multi-channel SACDs ;)

HK EMI's catalog is now controlled by HK Universal Music. In fact, the first post-takeover HK EMI project was introduced about 2 months ago. While there is talk on local HK audiophile forums of more HK Universal SACDs coming later in the year, there hasn't been chatter of HK EMI SACD titles being re-released. Yet.

On May 27th, HK Warner Music will be releasing 5 compilation SACDs for its local artists: George Lam, Sally Yeh, Danny Chan, Dave Wong, and the band, Beyond. Based on the track listing for each compilation, these new Japan-pressed stereo hybrid SACDs are basically what HK Warner Music released on stereo single-layer SACD a decade ago....

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/warner-music-releases-3-local-artist-sacds-in-hong-kong.html

Not sure about any new remastering are done for the new SACDs; the Dave Wong and Beyond stereo single-layer SACDs from a decade ago featured remastering by Vic Anesini at Sony's now-defunct studios in New York.

I bet Brian is having a sense of deja vu :D

Looks like HK Sony Music will beat Analogue Productions to market with a SACD re-release of Harry Belafonte's classic "Belafonte at Carnegie Hall" on May 24. Also being re-release on SACD will be Koji Tamaki's "Best Harvest". Picture below are the original SACD versions....

586075154_338140e4e2_n.jpg
4001667154_710f2e1510_n.jpg

Looks like HK Sony Music will beat Analogue Productions to market with a SACD re-release of Harry Belafonte's classic "Belafonte at Carnegie Hall" on May 24. ....
So, did it come out and who has it?

So, did it come out and who has it?

The Hong Kong Sony Music "Belafonte At Carnegie Hall" SACD was indeed re-released. Below is a photo, ahem, taken from a "What is your latest CD purchase?" thread at the HK website post76.com. Note the re-released SACD featured the current wide-hinge version of the Super Jewel Box (the original version had the thin-hinge version). In the middle are a couple more new SACD releases, including the new "The Glory of Cremona" SACD which I can't seem to track down.

013750r4iq0j6hltzwlewj.jpg

The Hong Kong Sony Music "Belafonte At Carnegie Hall" SACD was indeed re-released. Below is a photo, ahem, taken from a "What is your latest CD purchase?" thread at the HK website post76.com. Note the re-released SACD featured the current wide-hinge version of the Super Jewel Box (the original version had the thin-hinge version).

It will be interesting to compare the HK Belafonte at Carnegie Hall with the upcoming 3-Channel Stereo SACD. Analogue Productions is confident the sound on the new Belafonte 3-Channel Stereo SACD will blow away previous editions on CD, K2 CD and SACD.
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue73/kassem_hirez.htm

And they said the same thing about the SRV boxset.

Do you have the SRV boxset? I haven't read any comments on how that came out.

On the Belafonte SACD, the one from HK was pretty mediocre sound wise. That should be easy for them to beat.
Not to mention that the Analogue Productions SACD will have all 19 songs from the concert, the HK SACD only had a portion of the music.

While the contents are slightly different, I wonder how the new Hong Kong Warner Music stereo hybrid SACDs (on left side) compare to the old single-layer SACDs from a decade ago?

14239086908_864fa9f557_n.jpg
586098074_4b99a08d53_n.jpg

14425685635_16941155b6_n.jpg
586097692_1271e1b900_n.jpg

14424545244_7f594e95fc_n.jpg
586096420_3f7b9914b6_n.jpg

Back