SACD's rebirth in Hong Kong

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While the contents are slightly different, I wonder how the new Hong Kong Warner Music stereo hybrid SACDs (on left side) compare to the old single-layer SACDs from a decade ago?

Other than adding the CD Stereo layer, there may be no audible difference. Time to watch the reviews and see.

Five more SACD titles announced by HK Sony Music. To be released 6/23/14.

1908351_728877653841235_1245242461729701469_n.jpg

Hong Kong Warner Music just announced 4 more new stereo hybrid SACD titles to be released June 26.. SACDs are to be pressed in Japan.

Once again, the Warner HK Group leads the parade in SACD releases among the Warner family labels. Very interesting.

Well it's too bad people in Hong Kong don't seem too interested in music by foreigners. Looks like mostly domestic entertainers.

Well it's too bad people in Hong Kong don't seem too interested in music by foreigners. Looks like mostly domestic entertainers.

There are a few interesting SACDs in there from non-local artists (Los Indios Tabajaras, Harry Belafonte, The Sound of Music, Jekyll & Hyde Broadway Cast Album). And they have issued SACDs from acts that are popular locally (Air Supply, Kenny G) in the past. We'll see how this new round of SACD goes.

I don't believe that is the case since both HK Universal Music and HK Sony Music have ongoing audiophile CD reissue programs. Below is a sampling of HK Sony's K2HD CD offerings, which also include titles from Elvis, Barry Manilow, John Denver, Kenny G, Yo-Yo Ma, Chet Atkins, etc. ....

14301118298_9c4fd4ceab_n.jpg
8633138627_219ac908fd_n.jpg

8480677591_7e6f10baaa_n.jpg
5767279252_c07b1505a5_n.jpg

HK Universal Music K2HD CD offerings include titles from Lionel Richie, Elton John, Dusty Springfield, Mark Knopfler, Vangelis, Tom Jones, etc. HK Universal Music and HK Warner Music also release several audiophile-oriented titles using the SHM-XRCD "format"....the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack, Linda Ronstadt's Greatest Hits, Christopher Cross's Greatest Hits, Eagles - Hell Freezes Over, Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms, etc.

13900837607_5a3c861467_n.jpg
6311616812_07d032e63f_n.jpg

However, the HK "big three" chose to release these titles on K2HD CDs instead of SACDs. Note that all of these CDs retail more than US$25.00. Perhaps with the recent surge in SACD releases in HK, maybe we will also see some western titles (i.e. Sarah Brightman SACDs from HK EMI) released as well. Fingers crossed.

Linda Ronstadt's Greatest Hits on SACD would have been something. Oh well.

Found out about this on yesasia.com last night....Emperor Entertainment announced it will be releasing 5 new SACD titles on 7/18/14. Also seeing a new Germany-pressed compilation SACD from Wing Hang Record (the label that kickstarted the SACD revival in HK in December 2012).

From my math, there were approximately 60 new SACD titles released by various HK music companies since January 2013. Of those 60 titles, approximately 10-15% are not from Chinese artists (i.e. Harry Belafonte, Patti Page, Connie Francis, etc.) Almost none of these are listed at sa-cd.net. Given that sa-cd.net currently list 119 Chinese pop SACD, there is basically a 50% jump in titles within the last 18 months or so.

Each August, there is the annual HK Highend Audio-Visual Show. This is also when music companies release their "latest and greatest" audiophile offerings, so there should be more SACD announcements quite soon (maybe reissues of Sarah Brightman SACDs?). At each year's show, paid attendants of the show get a free SACD (or LPCD) sampler. Below is the track listing for the 2014 SACD....

174709ib3m33su8usqss13.jpg

Each August, there is the annual HK Highend Audio-Visual Show. This is also when music companies release their "latest and greatest" audiophile offerings, so there should be more SACD announcements quite soon (maybe reissues of Sarah Brightman SACDs?). At each year's show, paid attendants of the show get a free SACD (or LPCD) sampler. Below is the track listing for the 2014 SACD....

I remember hearing about that show - and the free SACD all show attendees get. Hmm, maybe we should suggest that model to some of the U.S. Audio Show hosts!

Track 11 - Sails by Chet Atkins is pretty interesting. I wonder if there is a chance that album would come out as a Sony Music HK SACD release.
That would be tasty!

Do keep us posted...I'd be very interested in getting minty fresh copies of the Sara Brightman Multi-channel SACDs ;)

The Sara Brightman Multichannel SACDs are interesting musically. But sonically they aren't anything to get excited about.

Within the next 10 days, Emperor Entertainment Group (EEG) and Capital Artists will each release 5 new SACD titles. EEG previously released 4 SACD titles from about a decade ago, while Capital Artists will be making its first foray into high-rez audio (SACDs to pressed by Sony in Japan). Capital Artists was created by Sir Run Run Shaw to go head-to-head with the HK divisions of big multi-national music companies like EMI and PolyGram. Eventually, Capital Artists was sold off and its catalog is currently being distributed by HK Warner Music, which I am sure helped in making the decision to go SACD.

Looks like Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up" will get the SACD treatment....two '80s hits compilation SACDs coming from HK Sony on August 6, 2014

SACD fans will get a chance to get "Rick Rolled"! :)

Any word on the Chet Atkins album arriving on SACD from Sony Music UK? I'd definitely seek that one out.

I'm a sucker for these type of discs although it will probably be the equivalent of those Legend Discs(n)

When you're pulling tapes from that many different albums and artists, it does increase the challenge to get a really high quality sounding SACD.
We will see.

Back