SACD's rebirth in Hong Kong

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whenever I think of vinyl or CD/SACD whatever and 'Hong Kong' or 'Taiwan' I think of (regardless of the format) stuff that is very likely unauthorized (that is, essentially bootleg) releases, though over the years I have collected *some* (maybe a hundred titles) Taiwan vinyl, usually for the novelty (certainly NOT for sound quality, since, regardless of the audio sources, I've yet to hear one 'clean' sounding pressing). For instance, some years ago I found a stash of mostly '60s titles with paper encased in plastic sleeves (also used in some countries in South America, and really a bad way to make an album cover, IMO). Anyway, among these was a clear orange wax of Herb Alpert's THE LONELY BULL. Some titles I picked because of the altered or entirely different cover graphics, which ALWAYS were obviously copied and/or pasted badly.

I suspect for some of the indigenous or Far East artists, these discs might sound very good to even excellent. But when I see a title like THE SOUND OF MUSIC, it occurs to me that a digital master could be made by simply copying any CD and simply moving it to the SACD format, pretty much like we used to record cassettes and reels from vinyl sources (correct me if you believe I'm wrong about this).

Well it's too bad people in Hong Kong don't seem too interested in music by foreigners. Looks like mostly domestic entertainers.

It does...although I should show my wife this thread, since she has considerable interest in Japanese pop singers/groups (including Perfume, for which we're going to NYC to see their show next month), and it would seem logical that, given the growing popularity of some Japan and Korean acts (mostly female groups) that future editions might turn up on SACD from Hong Kong.

Any thoughts? Interesting thread, though my interest would be deeper if multichannel were a major part of the discussion.

ED :)

But when I see a title like THE SOUND OF MUSIC, it occurs to me that a digital master could be made by simply copying any CD and simply moving it to the SACD format, pretty much like we used to record cassettes and reels from vinyl sources (correct me if you believe I'm wrong about this).

The earlier Hybrid Stereo SACD of Sound of Music from Hong Kong was pretty mediocre sound wise. It was probably from a digital copy of the album available to RCA HK vs. the original analog master tape. I'm guessing the new re-released SACD will be from the same source. Not an A-List SACD sound wise.

Whenever I think of vinyl or CD/SACD whatever and 'Hong Kong' or 'Taiwan' I think of (regardless of the format) stuff that is very likely unauthorized (that is, essentially bootleg) releases, though over the years I have collected *some* (maybe a hundred titles) Taiwan vinyl, usually for the novelty (certainly NOT for sound quality, since, regardless of the audio sources, I've yet to hear one 'clean' sounding pressing). For instance, some years ago I found a stash of mostly '60s titles with paper encased in plastic sleeves (also used in some countries in South America, and really a bad way to make an album cover, IMO). Anyway, among these was a clear orange wax of Herb Alpert's THE LONELY BULL. Some titles I picked because of the altered or entirely different cover graphics, which ALWAYS were obviously copied and/or pasted badly.

I suspect for some of the indigenous or Far East artists, these discs might sound very good to even excellent. But when I see a title like THE SOUND OF MUSIC, it occurs to me that a digital master could be made by simply copying any CD and simply moving it to the SACD format, pretty much like we used to record cassettes and reels from vinyl sources (correct me if you believe I'm wrong about this).

I think this has to be judged on a title-by-title basis. Some of the remastered titles by HK divisions of the big music companies can sound very good, such as the HK Sony Music's K2HD CD series (remastered and pressed in Japan by JVC), which includes some diverse titles:

9340077677_9b06b16b3c_n.jpg
14301118298_9c4fd4ceab_n.jpg
14880639812_d0218400d4_n.jpg
8633138627_219ac908fd_n.jpg

Other notable audiophile CDs from HK include Universal Music's XRCD of Dire Straits' "Brothers In Arms" and the Eagles' "Hell Freezes Over" (both titles also available on SHM-XRCD as well).

It does...although I should show my wife this thread, since she has considerable interest in Japanese pop singers/groups (including Perfume, for which we're going to NYC to see their show next month), and it would seem logical that, given the growing popularity of some Japan and Korean acts (mostly female groups) that future editions might turn up on SACD from Hong Kong.

Any thoughts? Interesting thread, though my interest would be deeper if multichannel were a major part of the discussion.

Unfortunately, the SACD format in HK, and I suppose like elsewhere in the world, appeal only to certain demographics. An act such as Perfume is very unlikely to get released on SACD in HK....or in Japan. HK Sony Music is the only music company there to release SACDs of Japanese artists, namely Koji Tamaki and Mayumi Itsuwa. Both artists were very influential to 80s HK pop music as HK artists rushed to cover their songs.

13678093284_415df124c4_n.jpg
14671097282_5568246b49_n.jpg

Speaking of SACDs from Hong Kong, the "Super Audio Best" SACD of greatest hits by Nancy Sinatra is a good one. I'd try that one while you're waiting for Doris on SACD!

View attachment 14186
Super Audio Best - Nancy Sinatra (Hybrid Stereo SACD, Top Music International, TM-SACD 7017.2)
http://www.elusivedisc.com/NANCY-SINATRA-SUPER-AUDIO-BEST-SACD/productinfo/TMISA7017/
http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/84777/Nancy_Sinatra-Super_Audio_Best-Hybrid_Stereo_SACD
What has become of the top music website?

http://www.topmusic.com/sacd.htm

While we were sleeping, HK Universal announced 10 new SACD titles (one of them being a re-release) being released on December 12th....

225439r76zy3syybqnn8yn.jpeg

When we include these 10 new HK Universal Music entries, there will be approximately 90 new SACD titles released in HK this year. There are already rumors that more will be either announced/released before the year ends.

Also, HK Universal is set to launch its 3rd Blu-ray Audio title by end of this month too.

As 2014 concludes, the tally on SACD released by HK music companies in 2014 arrived at about 110 titles (not counting reissues of previously released titles). While most of the SACD titles were of HK pop music, there were also releases from the Four Seasons, Jose Feliciano, Connie Francis, Patti Page, Kitaro, and of course, those 2 HK Sony various artists compilations of 80s pop music.

Btw, HK Universal Music has declared on its Facebook page that all 1,000 individually numbered copies for each of the 10 SACD titles released in December 2014 have been sold out (see below). Six of the titles are now released without numbers.

16189829765_ddc3632015_z.jpg

Here's another unconfirmed sighting....looks like HK Sony Music is re-releasing on SACD the Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin & Paco De Lucia classic "Friday Night in San Francisco" and "Beethoven - Symphony No.6" - Bruno Walter with the Columbia Symphony Orchestra. I will update if true.

Also, looks like recordings of "Chopin - The Nocturnes Vol.1" and "Vol.2" on RCA Red Seal by Arthur Rubinstein are getting the SACD treatment.

The 4 HK Sony Music SACD mentioned above....now confirmed. To be released on May 5, 2015 and the first 1,000 copies of each title will be individually numbered. The below notice is from a HK music distributor's Facebook page.

11146527_900021780060154_858804943339500151_n.jpg

Btw, HK Universal Music just released 10 new SACD titles for its local artists.

17266980361_b3c502bd0d_z.jpg

With HK Warner Music backing off from new SACD releases (releasing SHM-XRCDs instead), the first 4 months still saw approximately 40 SACD titles released (not including the 4 new HK Sony Music SACD titles above). At this rate, we are looking at about 120 SACD titles being released in HK this year.

The 4 HK Sony Music SACD mentioned above....now confirmed. To be released on May 5, 2015 and the first 1,000 copies of each title will be individually numbered. The below notice is from a HK music distributor's Facebook page.
I'd like to have that Beethoven title. So this was available once before on SACD?

Just released!! Susan Wong's "Woman In Love" on SACD

http://evosound.com/en/catalogue/23-female-vocals/1463-susan-wong-woman-in-love-sacd-

1. Woman In Love
2. I Honestly Love You
3. Chain Reaction
4. Can’t You See
5. Torn Between Two Lovers
6. Stay
7. Miracle Of Love
8. Both Sides Now
9. Make You Feel My Love
10. Heartbreaker
11. Torn
12. Never Can Say Goodbye

EVSA219_500.jpg

Another Susan Wong album in 5.1..! Thanks for the tip! (y)

I wonder if Simon Heyworth did this one too.. I'll order it presently anyway, enjoyed her other SACDs.

Looks like HK Sony Music will beat Mobile Fidelity to the market with a SACD of Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue". Unconfirmed yet, but also ready for release on SACD include Dave Brubeck"s "Time Out" and Yo Yo Ma's "Soul of the Tango".

Edit: All 3 titles confirmed for June 12, 2015 release.

Looks like HK Sony Music will beat Mobile Fidelity to the market with a SACD of Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue". Unconfirmed yet, but also ready for release on SACD include Dave Brubeck"s "Time Out" and Yo Yo Ma's "Soul of the Tango".

Edit: All 3 titles confirmed for June 12, 2015 release.

Thanks for the heads up :) Are all 3 Stereo only or is there any surround included among them, do you know?

Back