3-DVD Set with 45 80's videos in real 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This isn't an upmix, period. Not super aggressive at times, but definitely a remix. I've suffered through plenty upmixes, and this ain't that. This is the real deal. If you like this material, it is a must have.
Agreed. Some mixes are better than others, but overall a worthwhile collection and worthy of a listen. Just because the mixes aren't "Scheiner-esque" doesn't mean they aren't legit surround mixes.

Well Snood bought this and went into this saying umm no way............so far it is a 50/50 thing

I listened to the the Video Idols DVD.........the first 5 or 6 songs I was like meh - seemingly more of an ambience reverb in the surround, but with alot of use of center channel for vocals and guitar

Physical by Olivia sounded Ok.........But J Geils, Asia, Nightranger were not so muc - Quarterflash had some discrete center channel guitar work also.......

How they ever talked lead Singer Rindy Ross to wear that leotard at the end.........wow - was not a good idea :yikes

Watching these videos, I wondered why we even watched MTV back then..............a lot of the videos were straight up BAD even then, how did we think they were awesome.

but then track 6 Mr. Roboto comes up and starts with some discrete stuff in the rears........hate the song.......but I was like koo finally, but then the song kicks in and it becomes bleh.

But then track 8 thru 15 were ok to surprisingly good 5.1 mixes minus 1 or 2

8. Lionel Richie - Hello - Nice Sounding, but the video sound clips get in the way

9. Donna Summer - She Works Hard for the Money - I have to go back to - Rum Cokes and this song didn't mix last night

10. Tina Turner - What's Love Got to Do with it - I am not a big fan, but damn it sounded real good

11. Tears for Fears - Everybody Wants to Save the World - Sounded real good too - swore I heard some discrete stuff

12. Wang Chung - Everybody have Fun Tonight - was not the best 5.1 but did sound good........

13. Tiffany........umm fast forward

14. Suzanne Vega - Luka - Best 5.1 track of the bunch - U can hear the discrete and I was like whaa??

15. Fine Young Cannibals - She Drives me Crazy - Sounded real good - Turned it Up - not best mix, but was sounding real good in 5.1

So 7 or 8 Songs out of the first 15 were surprisingly nice to listen to...........2 more DVDs to go :banana:

so is the fine young cannibals mix the same as the one found on the mercedes benz demonstration disc??...If nobody can compare then i will test when my set comes in next week

Yeah - I was wondering that - Yes - please - let us know....

Count me as another who wishes he had the elusive Benz demo disc. If anyone has *any* leads on that, feel to PM and/or post.

It's been great reading the varying reviews on this 3-disc release. So far it sounds like a worthy purchase!

Count me as another who wishes he had the elusive Benz demo disc. If anyone has *any* leads on that, feel to PM and/or post.

It's been great reading the varying reviews on this 3-disc release. So far it sounds like a worthy purchase!

Well I bought mine for about 23 bux.........I think now it is over 30.........so I would not go nanners over it, but so far on the one disc I listened to, there was some ok to nice sounding songs mixes

It is no DSOTM or Roxy Music SACD or any major sounding DVD-A release, but I was surprised on about half of the tracks so far.

I had this 3 disc set for the videos for a while, but never bothered with the 5.1, because to me it seemed that it was rather unlikely that a quick and cheap video to dvd transfer job was going to involve digging up the multi-tracks, in many cases figuring out the early digital plug-ins involved in doing a proper remix for some of these songs, and with my assumption of it being a fake 5.1 it wasn't something I wanted to bother listening to. I needed some of the videos from this for another project, and I believe that I replaced the audio in many cases with better sounding audio from CDs.

But, with some reports here of hearing evidence of this being not upmixed, ok, lets take a look.

Fake, plain and simple. No multi-tracks used in the making of this.

There are some clever tricks played to make the rear speakers active here and there, panning to the back at points. But, for the most part, there's nothing discreet going on at all in the rears, just probably some generic thing to derive a surround mix from the stereo.

Still, not a bad collection of videos. Just don't buy it expecting much of a surround mix.

well she drives me crazy is an easy one to do, because it's quite a different beast in the 5.1 mercedes disc...I think AOQ and Bob might have the merc disc as well...the mix is so radically different in 5.1 that it's quite different from the standard cd....anyway I'll have a play myself next week.

Rindy Ross in '06:
Rindy-Ross-Sept.-17-2006.jpg

Although most of us had VCR's (remember those?), threading/unthreading the tape wasn't good for the machine. Watching commercials for 2-3 minutes seemed dumb. So. we switched to MTV during the commercials. Some videos were awful, others were great.
"Look at them yo-yo's, that's the way to do it. Play the guitar on the MTV..."

There were several acts that I discovered thanks to MTV:

Eurythmics-I own all their albums, EP's, solo albums and Tourists.
93D2D83370B2CD1FBAF8973C41A70777.jpg

Swing Out Sister - Also own all their albums, including imports. I've also seen them live.
hqdefault.jpg

Everything But the Girl - Also own all their albums, including imports and EP's.
I've met Ben & Tracy and seen them live.
Everything-But-The-Girl-008.jpg

Sade - I have all her albums and EP's
sade-hairstyle.jpg

and most recently, Foo Fighters - Saw Rope video, went out the next day and acquired all their stuff. They never hit me until I saw that video. IMHO, the best track by anyone in the last 10 years. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbpqZT_56Ns
rope_scruberthumbnail_3.jpg

MTV was cheezy then. Now, it's nearly unwatchable, with all the "reality" garbage.
I want my MTV (music videos) back!

...How they ever talked lead Singer Rindy Ross to wear that leotard at the end.........wow - was not a good idea :yikes

Watching these videos, I wondered why we even watched MTV back then..............a lot of the videos were straight up BAD even then, how did we think they were awesome....

I am eating some crow. After looking at some of these tracks in sound forge, it looks like some discrete mixes, like Video Killed The Radio Star, and some upmixes with creative panning, like Tainted Love. Someone went to a lot of work to make some of these sound really good. But most if not all are not discrete remixes. The upmixes are well done, I haven't heard any better on commercial releases before. I still recommend giving it a try.buggles.jpg

I got it and listened through a few on discs 1 and 3. May be a while until I get around to sitting down for disc 2. But from those 2 discs, I listened to the songs I knew by heart with all channels except Front L and R turned off.

The songs were complete. Nothing was missing.

Slowly fading the other channels revealed pretty much what ArmyOfQuad wrote above. They made some good efforts to upmix these, but it's really nothing too special. Definitely not discrete in my opinion. Oh well - worth a shot anyway!

I want to state my perception...without analyzing this to the degree others have by breaking down channels and comparing mixes and arguing the techniques used to "fake" surround, it sounds pretty damn good. Take away the fact that it is only cheesy dolby, that is. But I knew that going into it, so no disappointment here. As far as discreet or upmixing or whatever they did--it fooled me and I like it. Much more than regular stereo. So for anyone interested, have a listen and enjoy it for what it is...5.1 for some nostalgic music that most likely you wont find anywhere else, no matter how the suround is created. For three discs of 80s classics, the price is bearable also. Now the videos and their quality and fashions....well that is another forum, another debate, and a great big smile on my face and some great memories regardless.

I want to state my perception...without analyzing this to the degree others have by breaking down channels and comparing mixes and arguing the techniques used to "fake" surround, it sounds pretty damn good. Take away the fact that it is only cheesy dolby, that is. But I knew that going into it, so no disappointment here. As far as discreet or upmixing or whatever they did--it fooled me and I like it. Much more than regular stereo. So for anyone interested, have a listen and enjoy it for what it is...5.1 for some nostalgic music that most likely you wont find anywhere else, no matter how the suround is created. For three discs of 80s classics, the price is bearable also. Now the videos and their quality and fashions....well that is another forum, another debate, and a great big smile on my face and some great memories regardless.

Sold, I guess you have summed it up best, I've put my order in (y)

Well said, Blrac!

I'm still re-selling my set. While I like the songs, I already have them all in my collection and am fine with the stereo versions. I guess I'm too much of a purist. If any of you guys are interested, I'm more than happy to offer it at a good price (I paid around 30 and am thinking ~25 dollars, shipping included unless it's really expensive shipping ;-)). It's new. Feel free to PM me.

I'm a sucker for 80's videos...yes, I ordered this set, although I must say $30+ USD is a bit of change for 45 videos....ahh , hell , I don't buy much MCH stuff anyway...

PEER PRESSURE , that's what it is , PEER PRESSURE
:smack::smack:

My copy has arrived and I've listened to Totally New Wave a few times now. There is no doubt this is patchy some treasures and some clear average upmixes. Video Killed the Radio Star is a real treat, Take on Me not far behind and a very notable mention for Safety Dance. Whip It, Rapture and Stepping Out are very unengaging unimaginative bland soundfields. Worst of all is When Smokey Sings it is unlistenable, it starts off OK which is surprising. Everything else is quite listenable without much discrete ear candy but balanced soundfields with mostly centre channel focussed main vocals some rear effects and gentle reverb to create space. Low frequency channel is as expected present but pretty disappointing. I'll move on to the other discs in the series when I have time. The only song I have in a true 5.1 for comparison is Relax off the FGTH SACD. They are not even close to the same mix. Overall a mixed bag but mostly enjoyable. They must have used a few different techniques and a variety of surround mixers for this one

I agree with the several techniques and some being better than others. The third disc, Headbangers Rule was my favorite, but probably more for the fact that this is what I listened to the most back then. Still, I could tolerate the bad mixes just for the music and the effort in attempting surround. It is a shame that someone went to the trouble of doing this with the techniques used to vary effects and no one else (record companies, artists, etc.) probably paid attention or thought how good it could sound with a bit more effort.

I have listened to New Wave in the car today and impressions are slightly different in that the low frequency channel was actually quite good in some tracks. Video Killed the Radio Star and Take on Me remain the highlights. VKTRS is so good I just wonder if Trevor Horn helped them out from the original masters or if he had a demo left over when he did the Art of Noise and Frankie Goes to Hollywood mixes. He might have started on The Age of Plastic in 5.1 and then realised what was I thinking after VKTRS and maybe the title track were done. One other point for those outside the US considering buying it. Amazon list it as a region 1 DVD but I believe it is region free as it played without problems on my region 4 DVD player

Back