Safely Storing Digital Multi-Channel Files

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RAID arrays are known to fail. RAID won't protect against fire or theft.

True. The only advantage of a NAS is you can hot replace a drive if it fails without having to rebuild your entire NAS. RAID 5 allows a single drive to fail; RAID 6 allows 2 drives to fail.

Up until my first NAS died, I never considered backing up my digital audio. Even after that, I didn't fully get it. Having my media drive go bad like it did opened my eyes to the need for a good backup plan. I was able to get the drive to come back just enough to pull off all of my audio and music videos. I've spent every waking minute of the last four days pulling files off the drive one at a time. Any more than one file locks up the drive and freezes the PC. To get all the files off the drive before it dies completely will take another week or longer of all of my spare time. No surround in the sweet spot, no QQ, just moving files off the drive and transferring to the NAS. If I would have had one good backup of the drive, I could have just ripped the drive out and pitched it in the trash. Live and learn.

Now back to moving more files.... :mad:@:

I can identify with the frustration. It's time-consuming and soul-sapping.

It's getting easier to deal with now that the music is safe on the new drive. The rest of the files are movies and PVR tv shows that I could live without if the drive gives out. Now, It's a game of beat the crash. I'm trying to stay positive and know that I've learned a valuable lesson. I got back into physical disks and started ignoring my server, and this episode has reminded me of what all I had on it. I wanted to reorganize my files more logically and now I have my opportunity.

This whole episode started when I noticed that my early CD DSOTM and WYWH disks were starting to rot and I needed to get them backed up. My drive gave out in the process. I still don't know if I can save those yet. That's a problem for another day.

Here's some storage news, NativeDSD.Com is now offering cloud backup of music downloads you buy from their web site via a purchase registry. A nice touch.
I wonder - will this will lead other download sites to offer a similar feature?

NativeDSD - Cloud Backup.png
NativeDSD.Com - New Homepage Banner, Now Offers Cloud Backup for Purchased Downloads
https://www.nativedsd.com/

Rather than trying to recover your data by hand, you should look in to disk recovery software. There are lots of good ones, and many of them are free.

Back