Surround Triptychs - how many are there?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil wilkes

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
It occurs to me after reading the sleeve notes in the "Slowhand" box set that Patti Boyd might hold a unique place in music history.
She is perhaps the only woman who has not only a triptych of songs about or inspired by her, but they are also all in 5.1:
1 - The Beatles - Something (in 5.1 on "Love")
2 - Derek & the Dominos - Layla (2 different 5.1 mixes there, so...)
3 - Eric Clapton - Wonderful Tonight (SACD & Deluxe Edition)
Just thinking out loud as well - didn't Clapton play the solo on "Something", or was that "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" I am thinking of....

Come on, Trivia fans. Let's try to find some more.

It occurs to me after reading the sleeve notes in the "Slowhand" box set that Patti Boyd might hold a unique place in music history.
She is perhaps the only woman who has not only a triptych of songs about or inspired by her, but they are also all in 5.1:
1 - The Beatles - Something (in 5.1 on "Love")
2 - Derek & the Dominos - Layla (2 different 5.1 mixes there, so...)
3 - Eric Clapton - Wonderful Tonight (SACD & Deluxe Edition)
Just thinking out loud as well - didn't Clapton play the solo on "Something", or was that "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" I am thinking of....

Come on, Trivia fans. Let's try to find some more.

It is "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" you're thinking of. That's Clapton's solo. George played the solo on "Something".
And even though I really enjoy the "LOVE" 5.1 mix of "WMGGW" (with the strings, etc), I really would love a 5.1 mix of the original recording with the Clapton solo. (There is a 5.1 mix of that recording in the Martin Scorsese documentary "Living in the Material World" but I think it's incomplete)

Also, I really wish that the "Slowhand" 5.1 mix had come out better. The ES mix of "Layla" smokes the original, but I wish ES could've also done the same for "Slowhand".

As for more trivia, I'm useless right now as my brain is shot studying for this gigantic comprehensive exam I have next weekend… :ugham:

It is "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" you're thinking of. That's Clapton's solo. George played the solo on "Something".
And even though I really enjoy the "LOVE" 5.1 mix of "WMGGW" (with the strings, etc), I really would love a 5.1 mix of the original recording with the Clapton solo. (There is a 5.1 mix of that recording in the Martin Scorsese documentary "Living in the Material World" but I think it's incomplete)

Also, I really wish that the "Slowhand" 5.1 mix had come out better. The ES mix of "Layla" smokes the original, but I wish ES could've also done the same for "Slowhand".

I know what you mean - it's good in places, but not consistently there.
ES would have done a great job for sure

EC took her from George, then, she left EC for Mick? And EC was devastated by that. What, can one women possibly have that caused so much turmoil? The old saying: " Girls sit on a million dollars" This one though must have a golden tongue? Or a muff of perfection?
She was pretty hot in her day, but considering that these dudes could have any female they desired-I don't get it. I would find a good distraction - take your pick! c'mon - Eric Clapton!
They would have lined up!

The good part? we got lots of good tunes from it anyway!

Back