How many matrix LPs and CD releases were there (guesstimates please)?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alaric smith

I thought that this ought to have its own thread; I asked this question on another one but it might consume it and take the original thread away from its original aim.

The question is: In general terms, how many matrix releases on LP and CD are there?

Here CD means compact disc - not CD-4 (but would still be interested to know how many CD-4 LPs there are).

rustyandi started the guessing with:

"I have at

582 CD4
568 QS
809 SQ
And another 40 others to list
So I would guess
That world wide there would be including all types of Music

SQ 2000 to 2500

QS 1000 to 1500

CD4 1200 to 1500

Don't Quote me as an expert"

Last edited:
JonUrban and others have started to compile lists of known releases by companies like Columbia (apparently 358 known release pus 1 that I have that isn't on the list, so, at least 359 in SQ).

Here are Jon's figures, so far:

A&M: 7 SQ, 1 QS (and 11 CD-4),
ABC Command: 25 QS,
Arista: (11 CD-4),
Columbia/Epic: 359 SQ,
CTI: 7 SQ,
Fantasy Prestige: 7 RM/QS? (I don't know and the page doesn't say),
ODE: 2 QS,
Project 3: 39 SQ, 35 QS, 21 EV, (24 CD-4)
RCA: (148 CD-4)
Soundbird: (15 CD-4)
WEA: (22 CD-4)

SQ: 412,
QS: 68,
EV: 21,
(CD-4: 231).

CD-4 are in brackets (non-matrix). These are vinyl releases (I guess).

I was unaware of any FPM matrix LPs. As far as I know, they did 6 CD-4's and that was that.

Sorry Jon, that was just me not checking. I hadn't heard of that discography. I will try to summarise it (if it isn't already).

When you add in all of the Angel SQ's, marked and unmarked, the SQ total goes way up.

Yes, you mentioned LP/CD's, but there are hundreds that were only available on Q4/Q8's, as well.

For "boutique" formats, it's stunning how many Quads and modern 5.1 titles there actually are. Still, it's a drop in the bucket compared to stereo and mono titles.

"add 'em up, Bobby, add 'em up" from Sondheim's Company SQ/Q8

I would think that most Quadraphonic LPs
were released in

1 st USA

2 nd Japan ?

3 rd England?

4 th Germany

5 th Italy

Then the rest

How do you count Dark Side and Project 3, since they were released in both QS and SQ? I would assume each title is counted as one of each?

With all due respect, it appears that you've ignored DY and the BBC's matrix system.

Having spent some time looking at Mark Anderson's listings, it wouldn't surprise me if the UK was about equal with Japan. EMI/HMV released a huge stack of "classical" SQ LPs and box-sets (including Wagner's entire Ring cycle, with each opera being in its own box set, and the Master Singer). I am not sure if he includes many of the boutique labels. I will spend some time on this on Wednesday, as I have to sit around while someone from BT installs cable. I will grab Mr Anderson's listings and try to summarise them. There is a lot of stuff there though. I am sure that I could write a little GAWK script but it would probably take as long as just counting it.

Hi, here we go (first count):

Just "Classical" LPs:

SQ: 864
QS: 266
EV: 2
UD4: 11
DY: 1
CD-4: 97

There might be a few (one or two) miscounts. 12 of the QS albums are DBX QS albums.

Second lot:

Just Anthologies/Samplers/Etc. LPs:

SQ: 102
QS: 34
EV: 9
UD4: 9
DY: 15
BMX/QMX: 7
UHJ: 1
CD-4: 57

Making the totals so far:

SQ: 966
QS: 300
EV: 11
UD4: 20
DY: 16
CD-4:154

Film Sound tracks, LPS:

SQ: 24
QS: 7
EV: 0
UD4: 1
DY: 0
BMX/QMX: 0
UHJ: 0
CD-4:18

Totals so far:

SQ: 990
QS: 307
EV: 11
UD4: 21
DY: 16
CD-4:172

I think that I have covered all of the vinyl. Sorry, before I only said LPs but this includes EPs and singles. I will try the other formats another time (my eyes are hurting):

Pop & rock:

SQ: 614
QS: 482
EV: 7
UD4: 19
DY: 9
BMX/QMX: 2
UHJ: 0
CD-4:515

Totals so far:

SQ: 1,604 (I am going to need a bigger shelving unit)
QS: 789
EV: 18
UD4: 40
DY: 25
BMX/QMX: 9 (Anderson doesn't include BMX in his listing but I recognised a few "unknown format"s from my attempts on ebay) - I am sure that there are more of these.
UHJ: 1 (This doesn't seem right - I am sure there must be more - perhaps they are all CDs).
CD-4: 687 (rustyandi is almost up to the max, if this is right)

I am pretty sure that rustyandi is heading in the right direction. I am sure that there must be more of the smaller formats (sorry Quad Linda for not mentioning them earlier). I guess the Q8s are going be another large number. Many QS albums seem to have been previously released as EV discs, so the EV total must be pretty big, in truth.

I may have misread/blurred a few out. The numbers are only from Mark Anderson's Quad Discography. Please don't make me do anymore. Please :mad:@:

Last edited:
My boyfriend was stunned yesterday when I mentioned this thread and that Quad formats have thousands of titles, as do modern surround formats. Of course, this is from a guy that never owned a surround system. He was born when Quad was being introduced.

Classical SQ and 5.1 SACD's account for the largest numbers, respectively. DON'T bust my chops because I mentioned SACD, which isn't addressed in this thread.

Combining ALL surround formats over time, there are about 1,000 surround titles in my collection. Some are counted multiple times, due to multiple formats (SQ/Q8/SACD 5.1). Still, that is a drop in the bucket, compared to a total collection of over 20,000 discs.

Very true. I only have a couple of hundred LPs and 30(ish) singles, several hundred CDs but only a few SACDs, thirty or so matrix encoded albums, of which several are variations. Only a drop in the ocean, really.

I am pretty sure that, even after doing the Q8s, Q4s and matrix encoded CDs, there will be many, many more that aren't listed. Half the BMX/QMX LPs I have seen weren't listed.

If you want counts, I can give you counts. But first let me be sure of what you want. Like if an album came out in QS on album, and the same album came out in discrete 8-track & reel, would that count as one album or three? Then you've got Project 3 releases, which were sometimes available in SQ and QS and CD-4. Again, do I count that once or three times? I can calculate any way you want, but I need to know what you're looking for. I can also breakdown by label, by country, by format, by -whatever. You make the call, I'll give you the numbers.

Last edited:
Hi Boojidad,

Yes, the count includes all the re-releases (not the tapes, haven't counted them yet) but the majority seem to have been one-time releases. I am pretty sure that there are many other quad albums out there, although Mark Anderson seems to have done a great job. It would be great if you could get more accurate figures. All I did was go through Mark Anderson's list and count the formats in the vinyl listings. I think that JonUrban might be right about the boutique labels and I noticed that many of the BMX/QMX/QX albums were either mis-listed or weren't listed at all.

I think to begin with, a ball park figure would be cool, with a split by quad-coding(SQ/QS/UHJ/etc.)/discrete/etc.. If you can, we would be very grateful.

Back